C4 Forums | Control4

8ft doors - Three Point Locks

rf9000

3 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

News to me.  Not particularly a requirement.

if you’re ordering them, just make sure you get 2 hole.

Its not a requirement but really helps the taller doors seal up very nice and keeps them from warping, etc. We have 30 below winters, 100 degree summers and everything in between

Just now, rf9000 said:

Its not a requirement but really helps the taller doors seal up very nice and keeps them from warping, etc. We have 30 below winters, 100 degree summers and everything in between

5 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

News to me.  Not particularly a requirement.

if you’re ordering them, just make sure you get 2 hole.

Just didn't know if anyone has ever done a three point lock before and if anyone made anything for it to integrate with C4. It would surprise me if someone has not. It virtually would be the same turning deadbolt locking mechanism that operates the deadbolt, just is basically connected to a top and bottom deadbolt too. But the turning mechanism is really the same. When ordering exterior doors here from Therma-Tru, Pella, etc. they all have three point locking as an option.

23 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

i know some of the brands make some zigbee locks for this style. as far as a c4 solution i do not think you have any options. unless you can add a dead bolt and just not lock the 3 point system.

On one of those zigbee locks, can I get those to work within C4?

I have researched this thoroughly for my house as it was being build the front door was 7'-6" tall and needed a 3-point lock to prevent warping, and we wanted better sealing. I did not find any wireless/battery/Zigbee solutions

The only 3-point automated lock is the Hoppe Multronic motorized lock. It is a wired motorized lock with a special power-transfer hinge. The lock can be controlled by the relay of C4 controller or I/O extender. Here's a discussion on automated 3-point locks:  https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3869834/electronic-keyless-locks-for-a-multipoint-locking-jeld-wen-door

These locks are complicated and expensive. If cost isn't a huge concern, use them. Otherwise, since these are service doors to your garage and not in your main living space, my recommendation would be to use conventional hardware instead. Use a standard latch in the middle and add a high-mount and low-mount battery-powered deadbolt to have 3 points of retention.

31 minutes ago, WhyPhy said:

I have researched this thoroughly for my house as it was being build the front door was 7'-6" tall and needed a 3-point lock to prevent warping, and we wanted better sealing. I did not find any wireless/battery/Zigbee solutions

The only 3-point automated lock is the Hoppe Multronic motorized lock. It is a wired motorized lock with a special power-transfer hinge. The lock can be controlled by the relay of C4 controller or I/O extender. Here's a discussion on automated 3-point locks:  https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3869834/electronic-keyless-locks-for-a-multipoint-locking-jeld-wen-door

These locks are complicated and expensive. If cost isn't a huge concern, use them. Otherwise, since these are service doors to your garage and not in your main living space, my recommendation would be to use conventional hardware instead. Use a standard latch in the middle and add a high-mount and low-mount battery-powered deadbolt to have 3 points of retention.

Yeah, I get it. I just have three 8ft entry doors and a 9' front door. Was hoping to remote unlock one of them, but they are all three point locks. I guess that is a feature I will have to forgo. Makes me wonder though, if I have all liftmaster garage openers, can I integrate them so that I can open one of them remotely?

5 hours ago, rf9000 said:

If I have all liftmaster garage openers, can I integrate them so that I can open one of them remotely?

Yes, Liftmaster MyQ is definitely easier; that's what I do for my garage access. And there's a MyQ driver for C4.

For extra flexibility, if you have Apple devices, get the MyQ HomeKit version. It doesn't require a monthly fee and it works with the Apple Home app, so you don't even have to use the MyQ mobile app. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RQVSY7/

FYI, Lusson Design is a Toronto-based company working on an automated 3-point lock. Below is what they posted in the Houzz.com discussion. If you're interested, I suggest reaching to them to help demonstrate the demand.

Andrew
Lusso Design
105 Winges Rd - Unit A, Woodbridge, ON L4L 6C2, Canada (By appointment only so, please give us a call before stopping by)
(416) 834-9905
andrew@lussodesign.ca 

http://lussodesign.ca/contact/

Lusso Design (Entry Doors & Door Inserts)

Hello! Just wanted to chime it - we are a door company in Toronto, Canada and are in the process of developing an smartlock intergrated multipoint locking system by marrying components from several lock manufacturers that we are already using. Can;t reveal much detail yet, but we should have the working sample system set up on one of our doors in the showroom in January and once we torture test it for durability for a few months, it will be released on the market around March next year. Unfortunately there's little support from the big brands for the little guys, like us but thanks to local CNC fabrication shops and a few bright ideas we should have this issue solved - my clients had been asking for this for 3-4 years now - just got tired of waiting for the big guns:))) Will post here again once we have all the kinks ironed out. And the cost will be less than several thousand $$$ (Don't You find it ridiculous when tech, that is common and somewhat inexpensive in Europe arrives in North America at 5 times the price, that it costs in it in Europe? SMH) Anyways have a wonderful day everyone! Hope to have some good news soon enough!

Andrew - Lusso Design

PS We don't post too often here but are quite active on our Instagram account @lussodesigncanada . Fresh news is most likely to pop up there if you are interested in following our process.

December 4, 2019
Lusso Design (Entry Doors & Door Inserts)

Wanted to post a quick update here.

I didn't expect that there would be so much interest in my post, so huge thanks to anyone, who reached out!!!

We got most of the parts for a working sample and had it working today. I will need to tweak a few things and custom make a few extra parts to make sure that everything is mounted solid, but so far everything looks really promising. As I mentioned before Ill be posting more updates on our Instagram but will pop by here every so often as well.

Have a great day!!!

Andrew

Lusso Design

Here's another alternative:

https://www.electroniclock.com/utopic-r

Key Feature: Optional Home Automation Interface

• This interface lets home automation systems to control Utopic without any wire
  • Compatible with all home automation controllers with relay output

Downside from Customer Review:

"Even you don't use the lock, the battery is completely out on 3 weeks time..."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.