C4 Forums | Control4

FireTV Stick delay on C4

xburntx

Question

Hey everybody,

Curious how others have integrated their FireTV sticks. I have the non 4k version. My dealer is telling me there is considerable input lag between the remote and the processor.

Any idea how to fix this?

or is it not worth adding the fireTV stick to my system?

thx

11 answers to this question

Hey everybody,

Curious how others have integrated their FireTV sticks. I have the non 4k version. My dealer is telling me there is considerable input lag between the remote and the processor.
Any idea how to fix this?
or is it not worth adding the fireTV stick to my system?

thx
That's normal when using the native driver. The IRUSB device and driver speeds it up.

A roku is a better option for control with c4

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, zaphod said:
Take about 20% off there big shooter - unless you live in Canada and prefer Fire TV as it has a Crave app whereas Roku doesn't .

What's better for which ever country is debatable.  I was responding to the controlling aspect of a Roku in a control4 system.  It's solid.  It's not quite so nice with firetv's. There's either a 1 second delay option with the native driver or more money and a different driver with the irusb.  I've also noticed that  4k firetv sticks (with IRUSB) need a reboot once in a while to regain control followed by manually enabling the IRUSB app.  This is annoying and not good for reliable "control".  

Roku's are solid for "controlling".

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Just a little pet peeve.  As well as having their own content Crave is the Canadian distribution for HBO.  So if you want to watch HBO content you will want to have the Crave app - so imagine if Roku didn't offer HBO Go?

I actually prefer Roku as well with this one exception and my TVs with built in Roku work very well in C4 with the third party driver.  

I was helping a friend get some new smaller size TVs - she watches Crave and we decided to buy TVs with built in Fire TV as they are ridiculously cheap.  This weekend I will be setting up those TVs and getting them to work with whatever remotes make the most sense - either the TV's crappy remotes, or the Harmony remotes that she has been using in the past.  One advantage of having Fire TV or Roku built into the TV is that it does somewhat simplify the process for those less technically inclined as there is less input switching required.  It would be really nice if Rogers cable, our local cable TV company, would have Roku and Fire TV apps for their IPTV solution which is really just rebranded Comcast Xfinity.

Most of my customers are starting to migrate from apple tvs and firesticks to Rokus. As said above, the IRUSB device and new driver does speed up the firestick pretty noticeably. I personally love the firestick but I rarely ever run into any issues with the Roku.

9 hours ago, zaphod said:

Just a little pet peeve.  As well as having their own content Crave is the Canadian distribution for HBO.  So if you want to watch HBO content you will want to have the Crave app - so imagine if Roku didn't offer HBO Go?

In the end that's something to take up with Crave/Shaw - not Roku.

Roku is about as open as it gets to allow any channels on their devices, but if they don't get made....

@Cyknight - I agree, but to an end user it doesn't matter why this isn't available.  If Crave is important to them and they want a streaming device then it is a compelling reason to choose Fire TV over Roku, despite other advantages that Roku may have.  The other advantage of Fire devices is that they are increasingly being integrated with Alexa.

There may be oligopolistic reasons here, or some sort of a dispute between Bell Canada (the owner of Crave and also an incumbent phone company and owner of the largest satellite TV service).  But they do have Crave apps for many other platforms that compete with Roku.  The two big outliers without Crave apps would be Roku and PS4.

From the Crave Wikipedia page:

Crave supports access through most modern Web browsers, as well as apps for iOS/iPadOS, Android and Android TV devices, Apple TV, Samsung Smart TVs produced since 2014, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV, and Chromecast. The service does not support access on Roku, PlayStation 4, Linux or Chrome OS operating systems, nor in the Opera browser.[16]

Longer term it will be interesting to see if standalone companies in media streaming and hardware, like Roku, Sonos, Spotify and Netflix, will be able to survive or will be swallowed up by the behemoths like Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft.  And then there is the content providers like Disney and HBO/Warner (now owned by AT&T) that are also offering competing products in some instances.  And one would think that Facebook is trying to get a piece of the action somewhere.  It is going to be an interesting decade to see how this all pans out.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Why are they making a mistake if Crave is a must have?

The Crave user should be the one telling Crave that it's a mistake to NOT have an app for Roku. (THEM in previous post being Crave).

Nobody is forcing anyone to get a Roku, a FireTV or other on this forum - my point is just that of ALL of them Roku is the most open to having apps allowed on their system, so if Crave isn't on there, that is Crave's fault and no-one else.

You stated that to an end-user it's not important why it isn't available, but it SHOULD be important, because the end user is the only one that can truly 'force' a change in this case.

'Blindly' buying other devices in this scenario is not a 'good' thing - if Roku was the one refusing Crave, then it would be another matter, in this case it's CRAVE not doing CRAVE on one of the biggest (in fact, easily the BIGGEST in the US and worldwide though I don't know about Canada specifically) streaming device manufacturers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.