C4 Forums | Control4

Placing CA-1 over the ceiling as a Zigbee Mesh Controller

Worked fine for me when I did this for a few QMotion shades.

We always wire a CAT6 to one of the speaker cutout locations in every room with in-ceiling speakers to allow us to fit wireless access points out of sight in ceiling void. We occasionally use this cable for a CA-1 to extend ZigBee coverage.

The ZigBee capabilities of the Z2IO are not going to be as good as a CA-1, so I would avoid putting one of those anywhere that is likely to reduce the signal strength.

Make sure plasterboard is not foil backed of course, that will kill any wireless signals. ZigBee is a 2.4GHz signal within the same frequency range as regular Wi-Fi so it is reasonable to expect it to have similar range capabilities too.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:05 PM, SMHarman said:

But the device is not in wall / in ceiling rated.

What are the consequences of that.

And how do you get to it for upgrades, reboot etc!

Are they not putting enough light switches in?

1. They are usually in a completely open ceiling void with plenty of space and airflow around them so not an issue in that respect.

2. Upgrades, they are done over the network connection. Reboots are done via managed PoE switch powering it.

3. I guess his client is looking for a minimalistic look.

@SMHarman
We are going to place them close to speakers, otherwise there's no way of upgrading.
The light switches are limited. The customer doesn't want to have them everywhere.
So these rooms have no light switches and no TVs and are so far from light switches or TVs with Colocated EA1 that there is no zigbee network.

I think this is over analysis. Most every room should have one light switch / zigbee device?

And others have said in a multi family building putting these in a ceiling when they are not rated for such installation could endanger the unit and the building residents.

Could be a issue is other countries but in the UK some house have a 30 minute fire rating (The room can burn for 30mins until it escapes) - Room to Room on new builds.

Well our does. 

Light witches could stay stock and you use Phillip Hue Bulbs etc 

No need for EA1 if you have a T3 and SONOS 

Sounds like a good idea to me

Could be a issue is other countries but in the UK some house have a 30 minute fire rating (The room can burn for 30mins until it escapes) - Room to Room on new builds.
Well our does. 
Light witches could stay stock and you use Phillip Hue Bulbs etc 
No need for EA1 if you have a T3 and SONOS 
Sounds like a good idea to me
Exactly. Here in NYC you need BX metal shielded cable for HV, you need type X drywall which is traditionally 3/4 in so 1hr fire rated vs 30 mins for standard 1/2 in.

Also inspection and certification of all openings in the drywall to ensure the holes on it are properly mudded.

With high occupancy MFD this makes sense to me, for me and my neighbors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.