C4 Forums | Control4

Changing out some wall switches.. What's this?

jcmiro

Had a bulb blow out in the kitchen and now my C4 switches don't work. Im changing them out and found this black box behind the switch. What is it? I'm thinking a fuse and it's blown. Can I just cut it out?

Cheers5f056a0df6ff2aad8298b45967741cee.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Could also be a contcater. If the load for the switch is too high a contcater is used. So the c4 switch energises the contcater which in turn turns the lights on and when the switch is off it de energises the contcater so the lights turn off.

It might also be a 2 way switch for the other switch you mentioned in the laundry. But then again it could just be programmed to do that and not physically connected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....the model number is clearly visible on the device.

The Schneider piece is a realy socket, it there's a relay.

12x60w = 720W plus likely 4x 32w= 128w - so about 850w - that was likely just put in there as a precaution (though the normal switch does do 1000w)

Chances are it's there because you have 2 different light device styles on the same switch (not a proper setup) and the mismatched inrush is liable to fuse the relay in the switch - now it fused the external relay (which is about $5 on amazon most likely).

I am guessing most folks don't even know that you shouldn't have various types of lights on the same circuit, and when old bulbs burn out they will put start adding LEDs in one by one, even if there are other bulb types in some other spots.

14 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I am guessing most folks don't even know that you shouldn't have various types of lights on the same circuit, and when old bulbs burn out they will put start adding LEDs in one by one, even if there are other bulb types in some other spots.

I’ve seen tons of loads with partial LED and partial incandescent. Doesn’t cause a problem. In fact I’ve seen adding an incandescent as a way to get the LED’s to dim better/smoother. 

Dimmable LEDs and incandescent are likely OK together, although the differing dimming rates look screwy when dimming down.

Non-dimmable Fluorescent and halogens together... I'm guessing not so much.

RyanE

P.S.  This is my personal opinion, not advice from SnapAV/Control4, and should not be construed as electrical wiring advice.  :)

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

I would guess the same! But that doesn't mean it's the correct way of doing so - and no adding an external relay isn't either.

Whoever did do that SHOULD have known (ie, an electrician) and did a patch job.

That or dealer blew several switches and decided to jam that in to bypass it.

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

This would be my guess.

RyanE

Yup, if I were a batting man...

But I'll leave the option open it was something else.

In the end, you can replace the relay, you can remove the relay module (and risk wrecking the switch) but you SHOULD get the loads either separated or replace the tubes and bulbs with LED equivalents (and then remove the relay)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.