C4 Forums | Control4

Distant networking, video, Dish suggestions

Elvis

We are putting in a boat house and I need to make some decisions beforehand. The distance to the boat house from the home is approximately 300 feet. I have Ubiquiti networking equipment and I'm using an AC-Pro AP for WiFi in the home. We use Dish network (Hopper3) in the home.

If I wanted wired Ethernet to the boat house, any suggestions on how to do that? It is about 275' from the home to the boat house walkway/lake shore. It is another 50' to the center of the boat house.

If I don't get wired Ethernet, which option is best for extending the WIFI to the boat house? I'm considering another AC-Pro about 100 feet from the house which would put it in the center of our property and give good cover to the entire lot between the house and the lake, including the boat house. But then I'd have to deal with how to mound it outside. Not sure what product would be better suited for this. Of course, if Cat6 could stretch from the house to the boat house I'd get wired and have a great place to mount the other AC-Pro (in the boat house).

Can I daisy chain the AC-Pro like this: AC-Pro > AC-Pro > Switch > AC-Pro?

Was planning to just run the boat house TV off of ATV only. Wasn't sure how to take advantage of a Joey or other Dish offering, as I'm still pretty new to Dish.

Planning on Lutron Caseta Smartbridge Pro in the boat house to control the lights. Pro just in case we put in C4 here for later integration. But right now we have no C4 here in the home or at the boat house.

Any other things to watch out for in an outdoor environment with temps from 10*F to 110*F?

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Just run a conduit. Cat cable and RG6 (for the hopper) should be fine.

300ft is a long way depending on power requirements for PoE.  This will need to be considered.  Trenching fiber (you can get pre-terminated armored fiber for pretty cheap - check fs.com) or using a wireless point to point link may be a better solution.

Fiber to the boathouse.  New network switch in boathouse.  Add WAP, ATV and Dish Joey for the TV.

Then you can take it a step further for when you actually get out on the lake and want wifi.  Then you can install the UBNT AirMax stuff.

I personally wouldn't rely on wifi uplinks.  It does work but there are always variables to make it not work. 

Run Cat-6 to the boathouse, and put a Unifi Outdoor AP at the boathouse, and one at the cottage as well.  I have one of these devices on my pool cabana.  The range is supposed to be up to 600ft outdoors.  It functions fine in temperatures lower than you get in Texas.  You can run multiple drops or just put an 8 port switch in your boathouse for more than one device.  

I ran 280 feet of cat 6 from my main switch to another switch in my rv using underground conduit. If you have dish you don’t need anything else except the single cat6 cable. Dish Joey just connects to your secondary switch. (It’s what I did also ) Absolutely no problems at all. I setup another wap inside the rv as well. Try to keep your cable run under 300 feet between your switches

14 hours ago, zaphod said:

Run Cat-6 to the boathouse, and put a Unifi Outdoor AP at the boathouse, and one at the cottage as well.  I have one of these devices on my pool cabana.  The range is supposed to be up to 600ft outdoors.  It functions fine in temperatures lower than you get in Texas.  You can run multiple drops or just put an 8 port switch in your boathouse for more than one device.  

Sorry - but this isn't great advice.  You are really pushing it at 300ft of PoE over CAT6.  

15 hours ago, msgreenf said:

How sure are you on 300ft?

I won't know for sure until it is built. I ran a string yesterday and it is about 260 feet to the walkway/shoreline. If built as designed, it will take 50 more feet to follow the walkway to the closest cabinet on the boathouse.

Ubiquity NanoStation M2 Point to point bridge  You buy two of them, one is configured as a "station" and one is configured as accesspoint.  At the boat house you need another WAP to plug into the M2.  It's like running a wire to the boat house but you still need a WAP at the boat house.  Its inexpensive also, around $200 plus for both.  I have a set that's been working for 4 years on a 10 acre farm it gets around 400MB bandwith.

14 hours ago, JSTRONG said:

I ran 280 feet of cat 6 from my main switch to another switch in my rv using underground conduit. If you have dish you don’t need anything else except the single cat6 cable. Dish Joey just connects to your secondary switch. (It’s what I did also ) Absolutely no problems at all. I setup another wap inside the rv as well. Try to keep your cable run under 300 feet between your switches

That was my original plan, except I thought I needed RG6, too.

20 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

300ft is a long way depending on power requirements for PoE.  This will need to be considered.  Trenching fiber (you can get pre-terminated armored fiber for pretty cheap - check fs.com) or using a wireless point to point link may be a better solution.

I don't know anything about fiber, but looking at fs.com, I can get an armored 400' fiber for about $60. But I have no idea what to buy and what ends I need. I'm off to ubnt to ask. Thanks for the tip. Unless I'm missing something this is cheaper than Cat6.

5 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I don't know anything about fiber, but looking at fs.com, I can get an armored 400' fiber for about $60. But I have no idea what to buy and what ends I need. I'm off to ubnt to ask. Thanks for the tip. Unless I'm missing something this is cheaper than Cat6.

Probably going to cost more than $60.  Can you send me a link to what you are looking at?   Are you running this in conduit?

1 minute ago, LollerAgent said:

Can you send me a link to what you are looking at?   Are you running this in conduit?

https://www.fs.com/c/armored-patch-cables-220

I'm running the 220 vac in conduit, so if it is fiber, I guess I could run it in the same conduit. I assumed I wouldn't want Cat6 in the same conduit as the electrical.

23 hours ago, Elvis said:

We are putting in a boat house and I need to make some decisions beforehand. The distance to the boat house from the home is approximately 300 feet. I have Ubiquiti networking equipment and I'm using an AC-Pro AP for WiFi in the home. We use Dish network (Hopper3) in the home.

If I wanted wired Ethernet to the boat house, any suggestions on how to do that? It is about 275' from the home to the boat house walkway/lake shore. It is another 50' to the center of the boat house.

If I don't get wired Ethernet, which option is best for extending the WIFI to the boat house? I'm considering another AC-Pro about 100 feet from the house which would put it in the center of our property and give good cover to the entire lot between the house and the lake, including the boat house. But then I'd have to deal with how to mound it outside. Not sure what product would be better suited for this. Of course, if Cat6 could stretch from the house to the boat house I'd get wired and have a great place to mount the other AC-Pro (in the boat house).

Can I daisy chain the AC-Pro like this: AC-Pro > AC-Pro > Switch > AC-Pro?

Was planning to just run the boat house TV off of ATV only. Wasn't sure how to take advantage of a Joey or other Dish offering, as I'm still pretty new to Dish.

Planning on Lutron Caseta Smartbridge Pro in the boat house to control the lights. Pro just in case we put in C4 here for later integration. But right now we have no C4 here in the home or at the boat house.

Any other things to watch out for in an outdoor environment with temps from 10*F to 110*F?

Thank you.

I run something very similar.

I use a UniFi AC Mesh Pro AP (using POE) on the side of my deck. It's supposed to have about a 600 foot range.

On the side of my pool house we have the AC-pro - it uplink is set to use the Mesh Pro.   

The AC-pro is POE connecting to a switch in the pool house. Other devices also connect to the switch, including our appleTV.

Fiber wasn't an option (bad planning). If I could have run fiber from the house to the pool house, that would have been my first choice. 

Between the Mesh-Pro and AC-PRO we have great wireless coverage both int he yard and pool house.

just my 2 cents.....

There's also the UniFi building to building bridge....haven't played with it, but looks like another option.

2 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Sorry - but this isn't great advice.  You are really pushing it at 300ft of PoE over CAT6.  

Why does he need PoE (the OP never mentions PoE)?  I assume that he will have power in the boathouse so he can power it from AC there.  I have several Unifi APs that are powered via PoE but I just use a power injector right by the AP - generally the injector comes with the AP. So the LAN wiring would go Primary Switch (home)---300'---> Secondary switch (boathouse)--> PoE injector --> Unifi AP.

Or does the Dish Hopper use PoE? 

13 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Why does he need PoE (the OP never mentions PoE)?  I assume that he will have power in the boathouse so he can power it from AC there.  I have several Unifi APs that are powered via PoE but I just use a power injector right by the AP - generally the injector comes with the AP. So the LAN wiring would go Primary Switch (home)---300'---> Secondary switch (boathouse)--> PoE injector --> Unifi AP.

Or does the Dish Hopper use PoE? 

Even without PoE, you are asking for trouble with a 300' run.

7 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Why does he need PoE

You are right, I don't.

But the cost of the fiber is only $130 so I'm going to run that. I can put it in the same conduit as the 220v. The electrician is very familiar, too.

Just now, Elvis said:

Thanks, I sent an email to sales@fs.com and got an immediate response. Armoured fiber (400') is $118, and their SFP modules are only $6/ea. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

You should make sure that is suitable for outdoors in conduit.  The link that I pasted is different than what you originally found.  Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.