C4 Forums | Control4

Advice needed re upgrading

DianaT

I have an older system that has a working hc250, a working HC300, light switches and dimmers, two locks - one of which works great and one of which sporadically stops working, another lock with a Zigbee module but not one that works with C4, a couple of thermostats and a couple of alarm boxes. I had two other HC300s (connected to two other TVS) that have broken. My dealer wants me to upgrade since the HC300 is at the end of its life (theoretically) and the HC250 isn’t far behind. I don’t use the TVs much but would like to have the capability to have at least one, if not two, on C4 and I would like to replace the lock.  The quote from my dealer was over $7k, and included 1 new EA3, 3 new EA1s, new remotes for each, and a new door lock (for $1000).  This seems high, and more than I need.  Any thoughts on whether that’s really what I need and whether the estimate seems fair?

What version are you currently on?  It all depends on what you want to get out of your system.  Upgrading the system will give you the most current functionality and warranty on the hardware.  

If budget is a concern, you could upgrade the HC300 to HC250 units and keep with the current system and setup you have.  Now the HC250 are not current anymore either and would have to be sourced second hand / without warranty.  If you're happy with the remotes, you don't need to upgrade those either.  I'm not a dealer but I'm sure they don't want to support older systems and upgrading customers is sometimes the best option.  

I think it’s 2.10.10.11. If that doesn’t sound right, let me know. I guess my concern is that they want to sell me 4 units when I don’t think I need them (and have told them that a few times) and 4 new remotes (at $330 a piece without telling me that I had the option of keeping the ones I have). I’ve read elsewhere that you can use the HC 250 with the EA3 and, if that’s the case, that would at least allow me to avoid one EA1 (each one was over $1400 with programming). I don’t know if that really is true but I also don’t feel as though they’re going to suggest using any of my existing equipment if they can convince me to upgrade so I was hoping for some practical advice. 

22 minutes ago, DianaT said:

I think it’s 2.10.10.11. If that doesn’t sound right, let me know

It doesn't, the last OS2 release was 2.10.6, and if you've got an HC300 you can't be above 2.9.1 to begin with.

24 minutes ago, DianaT said:

I guess my concern is that they want to sell me 4 units when I don’t think I need them (and have told them that a few times) and 4 new remotes (at $330 a piece without telling me that I had the option of keeping the ones I have).

Agreed. Sounds like they want to add a controller at the two TVs. I'll state that that IS according to C4's general best practices, but that doesn't mean it's REQUIRED. A straight exchange would be 2 EA3s (or 1 EA3 and one EA1 may be enough, but not enough info to be sure - two EA3s is the most direct replacement for audio and IR)

25 minutes ago, DianaT said:

I’ve read elsewhere that you can use the HC 250 with the EA3

Not impossible, but you're locking yourself out of OS3, and if you're upgrading, that seems like a poor choice.

My suggestion? See if there isn't another dealer around, get another quote - or two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.