C4 Forums | Control4

Spotify vs Deezer

F0ZZ

I current have a Deezer subscription for my C4 system and it works well. Unfortunately my car only supports Spotify and I’d rather not have two separate music subscriptions. Are there any differences between the two services as far as functionality and service in C4? I’m considering a move to Spotify but it needs to work well.

Thanks,

15 minutes ago, F0ZZ said:

I current have a Deezer subscription for my C4 system and it works well. Unfortunately my car only supports Spotify and I’d rather not have two separate music subscriptions. Are there any differences between the two services as far as functionality and service in C4? I’m considering a move to Spotify but it needs to work well.

Thanks,

I recommend a new car. Spotify support in C4 is pretty much worthless IMHO. 

Thanks,

Does the car support carplay or Android auto and you can have the deezer app on your phone?

Just now, msgreenf said:

Just look up Spotify connect. I disagree on worthless. Yes, it's not fully integrated but not worthless either

It's worthless because you could just as easily Airplay Spotify, or anything else for that matter. IMHO.

You can save a bunch of Spotify playlists to Control4 through the Spotify Connect driver and then play them from Control4 directly, without having to use the Spotify app. It's less powerful than the Deezer integration but much more seamless than AirPlay. I wouldn't characterise it as worthless.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Aayush Arya said:

You can save a bunch of Spotify playlists to Control4 through the Spotify Connect driver and then play them from Control4 directly, without having to use the Spotify app. It's less powerful than the Deezer integration but much more seamless than AirPlay. I wouldn't characterise it as worthless.

As a lazy iPhone user I guess I just prefer to listen to things on the fly or via Roon. 

I love/hate Spotify. If I were not a C4 home, I’d say it’s probably pretty awesome.

On that vein, I’m hijacking a little, but this seems like a good group of members to brain-pick.

Is there a way... to do a virtual audio matrix? In this scenario however, I never ever want to pick up my phone. I strictly want to navigate to the listen menu (or favorited audio apps on an OSD, C4 app or T3)and search for a track and play it to one zone, or grouped zones, etc? Spotify is out. Can’t search without your phone. Tidal seems like it could work, Amazon Prime Music, etc. Now add that some rooms are Sonos setups and some are Denon hardwired AVR setups. It gets confusing to me.

Is HEOS the answer? Seems like HEOS could pull it all together and even could use the native Denon (or HEOS?) apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do it with native Amazon integration

But for example, let’s say I have 2-3 bathrooms, each with a pair of wall mounted Sonos One’s. How would I create this room as a zone without any physical connection to C4? I want these two zones to show up in C4, so can I play music via Amazon Music for instance (without having to use the Sonos App ...C4 only) or add these rooms to a group? This trips me up constantly. I have Sonos sitting in boxes in my garage because I don’t think I can get them to work in C4 without a physical connection without picking up my phone. I know installing my local ea1’s in the display rooms will work fine, but not sure how to get the Sonos wireless to show.

We have talked about this like 4 times. You can't. If you want to use native Control4 music services you need to you like a triad one.

Fair enough. We definitely have talked about this, but I still think there’s something out there. I think it can be done with HEOS.

Let me call them today.

Spotify is the best music streaming service period. As a stand alone product its fantastic and it has the best selection, the best recommendations, the best interface.

But...

It has the worst integration with C4. Literally all you can do is basically "airplay" it (Spotify Connect) or call up a preset. So it leaves alot to be desired as far as integration goes.

If I had to pick between Deezer with awesome integration or Spotify with terrible integration I'm picking spotify all day. The spotify app is great and as mentioned you can just airplay/ spotify connect whatever you want.

If your even a little bit "techy" go with Spotify. If you absolutely tech illiterate (cant figure out how to use the C4 app in the best of times,) go with Deezer for the easier use and better integration.

Once you get the hang of Spotify+C4 its pretty easy to use, but there is a larger learning curve for sure.

I own a Tesla, so no Android auto or Apple Carplay. The car comes with Slacker, but it isn’t very good in my opinion. Spotify was introduced not long ago. 

what’s involved in using Spotify with C4? By the sound of it, you need to use your phone or iPad in the Spotify app? How do you send the information to C4? 

18 minutes ago, F0ZZ said:

I own a Tesla, so no Android auto or Apple Carplay. The car comes with Slacker, but it isn’t very good in my opinion. Spotify was introduced not long ago. 

what’s involved in using Spotify with C4? By the sound of it, you need to use your phone or iPad in the Spotify app? How do you send the information to C4? 

You can recall favorites (playlists, etc) directly from the C4 app.

You can use the Spotify app alongside Spotify Connect (similar to Airplay, but completely different in that the stream originates from the C4 controller, not your phone) and target individual Spotify drivers in your system.  I have a Spotify driver for each audio zone (Living Room, Kitchen, etc).  Others have Spotify drivers for each person in their household.  You can control volume for the zone directly from Spotify (if configured correctly) or from C4.

C4 has documentation on this.

You can recall favorites (playlists, etc) directly from the C4 app.
You can use the Spotify app alongside Spotify Connect (similar to Airplay, but completely different in that the stream originates from the C4 controller, not your phone) and target individual Spotify drivers in your system.  I have a Spotify driver for each audio zone (Living Room, Kitchen, etc).  Others have Spotify drivers for each person in their household.  You can control volume for the zone directly from Spotify (if configured correctly) or from C4.
C4 has documentation on this.
You can also set up physical buttons on Control4 keypads that will favourite the currently playing Spotify preset if you press and hold the button while the preset is playing. You can then recall that preset any time you want with a single click of that button.

If the user wants a dedicated keypad for playlists, you can set it up with buttons labelled for specific genres and the user can change the playlists saved to those buttons by themselves without having to get the dealer involved. This is a useful feature.

Furthermore, you can save up to five Spotify presets to the Room Control driver's preset cycler and set up any keypad button to recall the cycler.

It can't

So the 2 AVR’s I have are 3 & 2 Zone Heos. Each has one zone hardwired. So, can I assume these 2 Zones can be easily integrated into Heos? That leaves 3 “Heos” Zones on the Denons with should stream wireless to the Heos speakers, pulling the music apps from the Denon’s native apps? Do thats 5 zones. Add a Heos link (or whatever the multi zone Heos amp is)and that adds enough zones to cover my desired zones. (Heos allows up to 32). Group them, play separates... this us what I’m asking. If there are Denon mini app drivers for audio services, then these should show up in rooms and be able to be joined in C4?

I’m researching this all now. Denon’s C4 expert was out today, so they would‘not speak to C4, but the agreed Heos would do all of this outside of C4. I have a ticket in.

I don’t care about the C4 native music service drivers, should I? I just want it to work without picking up a phone or iPad. I don’t use Apple Music and I accept that Spotify Connect (other than favorited playlists does require a separate non-C4 device). I do still have Tidal, Amazon, Pandora, etc.

I just want a Listen Menu or favorited music service touchpad buttons launch for each room, including rooms with no A/V ..:other than my in-ceiling connected via Heos Link or even just HEOS wireless speakers (with no other AV on that bathroom).

I’m not cheap by any means. But I want one solution for whole house audio zones. I assume I could output from a Triad matrix to my Denon amped 9.2.4 passive A/V Zone (LR) and the Sonos A/V Zone 2 (MBR) 5.1. And I get that I can also matrix, amp and play to all of my passive in-ceiling zones, but what about the other two A/V rooms (one is Sonos opitical from the TV and the other is a local (Non Sonos) powered TV optical fed Soundbar)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.