C4 Forums | Control4

In-Sink Garbage Disposal Switch

Time2Jet

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 7:41 PM, eggzlot said:

Personally wouldn’t want to automate a disposal.  Seems dangerous.  Wrong press on a c4 icon and oh boy.  We installed the ones that are activated by the plunger thing you stick in and turn

I would suggest having it hidden from the c4 navigators.  

On 1/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, time2jet said:

Can't see a reason to spend money on a SW for a in-sink disposal, unless I just add an old  Gen2 just to match.  A KA cannot handle a load, so what are you guys doing to match the look of the C4 lighting.

Its not a terrible idea to have it integrated. Can use the switch for extra automation in the kitchen. Can disconnect the bindings and use a triple or double tap to turn it off and have it turn off automatically after 10 seconds or so. This way kids can't accidentally turn it on or leave it running for long.

I would not connect an automated switch to the garbage disposal.

There is no need to turn it on remotely, there's no need to track whether it's on or off, since it should only be on when someone is literally in front of it.

Control4 matching mechanical switch if you care that it physically matches an adjacent Control4 device (or the rest of the home), otherwise, standard switch.

RyanE

10 hours ago, RyanE said:

Also, 'detach load' stops working if the Control4 system goes away (so you maintain local control in that case), so the switch then will control the device, which is bad if you weren't expecting it...

RyanE

Has something changed? I dont often have this issue but occasionally a system reboot or power outage the controller may be off for a few miniutes. I lose control of my keypads that are setup to control4 lighting scenes. even though they have a load attached i cannot power the load from that device unless i reset it.

32 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

Has something changed? I dont often have this issue but occasionally a system reboot or power outage the controller may be off for a few miniutes. I lose control of my keypads that are setup to control4 lighting scenes. even though they have a load attached i cannot power the load from that device unless i reset it.

I could certainly be mistaken, but my understanding is that if the Control4 system was unavailable, the keypad would control the load.

It's possible that it's only for Keypad Dimmers, or something like that.

RyanE

Just now, RyanE said:

I could certainly be mistaken, but my understanding is that if the Control4 system was unavailable, the keypad would control the load.

It's possible that it's only for Keypad Dimmers, or something like that.

RyanE

can confirm as of about 3 weeks ago on 3.1. I had my system powered down for new lines i was running. I lost all control of lighting scenes and could not control individual loads on APD or KDs

23 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

can confirm as of about 3 weeks ago on 3.1. I had my system powered down for new lines i was running. I lost all control of lighting scenes and could not control individual loads on APD or KDs

I'm not surprised you'd lose control of lighting scenes, since of course ZServer and Director are involved in doing those.

Sounds like it doesn't revert back to local load control.  I must've been mistaken, and/or it doesn't do that on Gen3 devices.

RyanE

13 hours ago, RyanE said:

I'm not surprised you'd lose control of lighting scenes, since of course ZServer and Director are involved in doing those.

Sounds like it doesn't revert back to local load control.  I must've been mistaken, and/or it doesn't do that on Gen3 devices.

RyanE

Yep, i knew the reasoning behind the scenes, but yea even local load control did not work.

• 3 weeks later...
Also need to check the horsepower on the motor. I believe all of the c4 switches are only good to 1/2 horsepower motors.

For smart switches that’s right. Mechanical C4 switches don’t list a HP rating (most brands do), only that it’s rated for 15A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The garbage disposal is the only switch in our house that isn’t automated. My wife wouldn’t go for it - proving once again to be the voice of reason when I get carried away with tech. Anyway I installed a specific garbage disposal switch which looks identical to our decora smart dimmers/switches but is a mechanical switch with an internal spring so requires you to hold the switch to run the disposal when you let go it turns off. Works well and looks nice. Not sure if C4 offers this but wanted to mention these sort of switches as another option. 

I believe the only safe switch for a garbage disposal in the sink is an air switch. These have a few advantages. 1) the button is small and can be installed on the counter in a through hole next to the faucet within reach of even the most span challenged people 2) they are completely safe with wet hands 3) they typically have a timed auto off setting so if you turn it on it will go off after say 20 seconds.

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

I believe the only safe switch for a garbage disposal in the sink is an air switch. These have a few advantages. 1) the button is small and can be installed on the counter in a through hole next to the faucet within reach of even the most span challenged people 2) they are completely safe with wet hands 3) they typically have a timed auto off setting so if you turn it on it will go off after say 20 seconds.

Bingo.  Love the air switch.

The momentary contact switch that was discussed in the post above yours is designed for garbage disposals. In fact usually the box or marketing material for them will say “disposal switch.”

2 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

The momentary contact switch that was discussed in the post above yours is designed for garbage disposals. In fact usually the box or marketing material for them will say “disposal switch.”

Perhaps, but these are not as safe as an air switch.

3 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

Why would you think that ?

I assume they mean 'electrically safe', which is not the same as "garbage disposal only stays on when you're pressing it" kind of safe.

The only safe I care about is that if I'm going to stick my hand down there, I'll pull the actual plug on the disposal out of the switched socket.

Mine (although I don't recommend this) is wired with a Gen1 Control4 switch, but with the Zigbee board removed (and was never identified in the project, etc.)...

:)

I think if I were to replace it, I definitely like the idea of the momentary switch, so you have to hold it to activate the disposal.

I hadn't heard of those before.

RyanE

I assume they mean 'electrically safe', which is not the same as "garbage disposal only stays on when you're pressing it" kind of safe.
The only safe I care about is that if I'm going to stick my hand down there, I'll pull the actual plug on the disposal out of the switched socket.
Mine (although I don't recommend this) is wired with a Gen1 Control4 switch, but with the Zigbee board removed (and was never identified in the project, etc.)...

I think if I were to replace it, I definitely like the idea of the momentary switch, so you have to hold it to activate the disposal.
I hadn't heard of those before.
RyanE

https://www.legrand.us/radiant/products/switches/tm870stmwcc6.aspx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.