C4 Forums | Control4

In-Sink Garbage Disposal Switch

Time2Jet

29 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

Why would you think that ?

Momentary contact switch is also non metallic, and shuts off immediately when you let go.

Because momentary contact switch has voltage in the switch unless you have some special type of non electric momentary switch in mind.

I'd also point out that requiring one hand to be on the switch while another hand is operating the usage of the disposal is less safe than having two hands available.

32 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I think if I were to replace it, I definitely like the idea of the momentary switch, so you have to hold it to activate the disposal.

I hadn't heard of those before.

RyanE

An air switch can be momentary or toggle. I recommend you check them out if you switch one day. lol.

http://presair.com/shop/garbage-disposal-air-button/

https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en-us/shop/insinkerator/insinkerator-stsdualoutlet

Because momentary contact switch has voltage in the switch unless you have some special type of non electric momentary switch in mind.
I'd also point out that requiring one hand to be on the switch while another hand is operating the usage of the disposal is less safe than having two hands available.

The voltage is behind a non metallic face like every other switch in a house; not sure why a disposal switch is any more reason for concern than a light switch. Every receptacle you’re plugging devices into has voltage as well.

And having one hand in the sink while the disposal is running is never a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

*every* switch that's not an air switch has voltage in the switch.  So what?  I've used (and installed) switches for over 50 years, and never had issues...  If there were any kind of serious issue with electrical safety of 'regular' switches being used as garbage disposal switches, you would hear about it and/or they would be recalled / air switches mandated, like they are for jacuzzi / tubs.

Mechanical switches are typically engineered with a ground going completely around the switch body, close to the faceplate.  The chance of getting a shock or having other issues with a mechanical switch is pretty much nil.

I *have* heard of people getting things stuck in their garbage disposal, and endangering themselves trying to get it unstuck.

An air switch doesn't help in that case, and possibly the momentary doesn't help in that case, either.

A brain is required.

:)

RyanE

3 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

The voltage is behind a non metallic face like every other switch in a house; not sure why a disposal switch is any more reason for concern than a light switch. Every receptacle you’re plugging devices into has voltage as well.

And having one hand in the sink while the disposal is running is never a good idea.

You guys sure like to argue the small stuff.

When comparing an air switch to a non air switch the air switch is safer. I don't think we need to argue that point. I wont bother.

35 minutes ago, Elvis said:

As soon as you guys send a link to the switch that won't work when there is a fork or spoon in the damn garbage disposal, then I'll be impressed. ;)

Nice. I actually buy twice as many spoons as all other utensils for this reason. Once a year I also polish all the bite marks off and put them back in rotation.

I have those super quiet disposals that can disappear a whole chicken. We've tried the SilverSaver Sink Stopper's and they work pretty good.

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

Are these still legal?  I thought that they weren't environmentally friendly and were banned.  Here in Toronto we have green bins where you put your organic waste and it is hauled away each week.

They certainly are still legal in the US.  Not sure about Commiefornia.  :)

RyanE

They have been illegal for quite a while in Toronto and several other cities in Canada.  I am pretty sure that they are illegal in Europe as well, especially since European made dishwashers like Miele and Bosch don't have food macerators for enviro reasons. More organic waste into a city's wastewater system is seen as a bad thing.

48 minutes ago, zaphod said:

They have been illegal for quite a while in Toronto and several other cities in Canada.

That's interesting, I believe I've heard that rationale before, but not seen any less interest in them here in the US.

I wonder if that's changed, or if it's mostly dependent on the capabilities of the sewage system downstream.

Wikipedia says some places that have banned them previously have now changed (New York City, others), including this interesting line: "In Sweden, some municipalities encourage the installation of disposers so as to increase the production of biogas."

In any case, we use ours basically to just clean out *small* food bits from rinsing off plates.  Anything bigger than a quarter on our plates (and any other food we would otherwise throw out) typically goes out to the backyard chickens.  They're pretty efficient, and also give us eggs.  Win win.

:)

RyanE

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

Are these still legal?  I thought that they weren't environmentally friendly and were banned.  Here in Toronto we have green bins where you put your organic waste and it is hauled away each week.

Environmentally "unfriendly" -- depends on who you ask. I'm on aerobic septic, and have been for years. The septic maintenance guys say "minimal" amount of food into the tank actually helps, vs. none. "Just don't overdo it." 

As far as city sewer, it does not impact the quality of the discharge water, which is as potable as the city drinking water.

• 2 years later...
16 minutes ago, diwit said:

Among plumbing notes on plans, MEP engineer's plans say "Waste from garbage disposers shall not drain to grease interceptor." Ergo double sink has one side going to grease trap, other side (w/GD) to sanitary drain. Plumber says it's crazy, I am scratching my head. What's the rationale for this?

Why are you asking a plumbing question in a Home Automation Forum, in response to a post about the electrical hook up of a garbage disposal?

RyanE

19 minutes ago, diwit said:

Among plumbing notes on plans, MEP engineer's plans say "Waste from garbage disposers shall not drain to grease interceptor." Ergo double sink has one side going to grease trap, other side (w/GD) to sanitary drain. Plumber says it's crazy, I am scratching my head. What's the rationale for this?

Because you don't want "Waste from garbage disposers shall not drain to grease interceptor." If you have a grease interceptor you don't want to fill it up with the crap you send down the disposal. Having a grease interceptor in a home is overkill, imho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.