C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa and Voice Command for C4 (garage Door)

Alright, So I have a very basic command called "Garage Doors"  Alexa turn on Garage Doors, her response is that command doesn't work on Garage Doors.  But if I say Alexa Turn off garage doors is works fine.  Any Suggestions.  How can it work one way but not the other?  I have tried deleting the scenes and redo-ing them but no luck

Here is my VERY simple programming

image.thumb.png.75918946374f41c306cec108b27bf71f.png

image.thumb.png.2439e1af882ad3b5067f958ba9a7860a.png

2 hours ago, cannemi said:

If I make it a custom button it works just fine 

right its due to the alexa integration i think amazon does not want it for security reasons. I believe i got this to work with a variable using the voice scene to flip the variable and then on variable change open or close the garage 

On 1/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, sonic30101 said:

Security reasons why it is giving you issues. I believe you can make macros at your own risk but know you might be opening up a security risk if someone gets your credentials. Also use routines to rename to open and close

This is absolutely correct. There are security concerns regarding opening and closing via voice- with two assumptions.

1. anyone can walk up to your front or back door and loudly say "Alexa, xxxxx" and the garage will open. I heard rumors they were working on a two factor type of authorization forthis, but then why? Just open your app.

2. closing a garage sight unseen can create a hazard for anyone that might be in the way of the closing door. Photo sensors will still override the motor, but if they fail, then someone could get pinned or hurt. Unless you have a camera on it and are checking that camera, I wouldn't do this.

That sticker on your garage door that they can be a lethal hazard are not untrue. A garage door can seriously injure or kill people or animals. You frankly should NEVER close a garage door without having it in sight.

But for the overall idea, yes, alexa and google have their own limitations for security/liability reasons. Even if they bypass locks at some point with an authentication or password option, it wouldn't surprise me to learn they still won't close garage doors.

I have 2 Garage Doors, with a Z2IO's 2 sets of relays connected to the motors.

I created a Voice Scene within Control4 called "Close the Garage Doors", and in Programming, "Turn on Close the Garage Doors" is set to close each of the doors.

I then created a 'Routine' within the Alexa App, called "Close the Garage Doors," and added a command to active the "Close the Garage Doors" scene (previously discovered within Alexa).

I can then say "Alexa, Close the Garage Doors" and they will then close.

I also created a pair of Google Assistant Events, called "Garage Number One" and Garage Number Two."  These are programmed to open their respective Garage Door.

So when my wife or I are returning home, and have Android Auto running in our vehicles, we can touch the button on the steering wheel to activate the Google Assistant, and simply say "Turn on Garage Number One [or two]."  The appropriate garage door then opens (I also added programming to unlock the door to the house, and turn on the lights).

And regarding security, 2-step process, I did play around with an Alexa command to open a door lock, but did have to create a PIN, which I then have to give verbally, to open the lock. It works, but I haven't really found a practical need or use for this way of doing things.  I just wanted to see if and how it would work.

Let me ponder for a bit....

I have a garage door system that 1) opens/closes by push button remote control in my car that I can operate about 200 feet away. 2) A 4 keypad with 4 digit selection that opens\closes my garage door on the door frame and 3) has a phone app that I can operate the door from 2000 miles away.   Now for the question:  Why is it OK to not be concerned about 1ft, 200ft,  2000 miles with human push button(s) commands but now be so concerned about voice operated commands?

Why should I be concerned about a voice command from someone outside my house, if I have it set to only open when I say "Alexa, open up my blue and red 1234 garage door"?  OK, I know someone will say "house members might overhear you"   Well, they likely might have my 4 digit keypad access code, too.  They might steal my car and open the door using my push button remote.

BUT WAIT, with Alexa and/or C4 and/or my garage door phone APP, I can have it push an alert message whenever the garage door opens or closes as I now do.  I can jump on NVMS7000 or C4 APP and view who's controlling the garage door from the front camera.  Wait, its the burglar from Simplee Safe(co); CALL THE COPS...…..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.