C4 Forums | Control4

"The Sonos outrage exposes the smart home's expensive flaw"

turls

It's the difference between custom installed hardware and handheld gadgets. When something is hardwired into the home, the cost, disruption and hassle involved with upgrading it is greater, assuming it's even possible. I don't blame the user for not expecting to have to do so for at least a decade once installed.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It's the difference between custom installed hardware and handheld gadgets. When something is hardwired into the home, the cost, disruption and hassle involved with upgrading it is greater, assuming it's even possible. I don't blame the user for not expecting to have to do so for at least a decade once installed.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

And that is how old the Sonos models not getting updates are. And no one is killing them. Just not new features

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

And that is how old the Sonos models not getting updates are. And no one is killing them. Just not new features

While I agree with you, I think some of the frustration is the concern and admitted risk that some current features (connections to current sources that work right now) may not continue to work in the future if those companies change something and Sonos can't make that new connection work on the old software.  However, that was always a risk with a device like the Sonos, which relies heavily on other companies allowing / enabling connections like this.  Realistically, the same risk exists for Heos or C4 audio.  At some point, Pandora, TuneIn, or Amazon Music could disable access for our devices, or change how devices connect / authorize to a way that cannot be overcome with our current hardware.  That is just the risk we all take when we chose to have "higher than average" tech in our homes.

On 1/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, turls said:

Seems to apply to the attitude towards Control4 obsolescence as well. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sonos-outrage-legacy-speakers

difference with C4 is updates are optional so if you have older hardware if you do not upgrade it will continue to function until it physically does not operate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.