C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Home Training Course.

Matt Lowe

My office has started a youtube studio for our products. Since we have the equipment I am looking to invest in the time to creating a composer home training course. To start this will be focused completely for the consumer side and we may do some videos that are dealer specific if it is popular. Just wanted to see whom here may be interested and hopefully I can help you better your own automation and home setup. Below are a few of the topics we are looking to cover. Any suggestions on what you may want us to cover or that i missed? Hope to start filming soon!

1. Composer Home Walk Through

2. Announcements

3. Creating Advanced Light Scene

4. Using Advanced Lighting Scenes in your project

5. Keypad Lighting and Feedback

6. Motion Detection

7. Panic Button!

8. Security Light Driver

9. Camera Navigation Agent

10. Camera Email and Push notifications

11. Security System and the Mockupancy Driver

12. The Power of macros

13. Customizing Room Navigators

14. Creating a Favorites room for Navigators

15. Remote Focus buttons for Neo

16. Custom buttons for SR260

17. Door Station Custom Buttons

18. Room based Programming

19. Source Selection Programming

20. Room Control Driver

21. Plex Driver

22. Favorite Rooms in the room and on the neo and sr260

23. Alexa and Google Home Voice Scene Drivers

24. Alexa and Google Home Routines

25. Add Music Driver

26. Source Selection Programming

27. Timers in depth

28. PDU Programming

29. Network Switch Programming

30. Fireplace Programming

31. Experience buttons

32. Dimmer Load setup

33. Shades

34. Scheduler

35. Airplay Driver

36. Spotify Connect

37. Pandora and other Music service programming

38. Programming on Room Off

39. Irrigation

40. Christmas Lights

41. Dlna My Music Driver

Dude I think thats a great idea. There honestly isnt enough Smart Home YouTube Channels on the market right now showcasing this and Im sure you would get some traction.

Even just showing really cool things like how the Samsung Frame TV driver works (very cool). Or just showing videos of the product, what it looks like, reviews and such.

I mean it doesn't need to be MKBHD quality, but a decent camera should do it.

I'm a big youtube watcher and I honestly dont have any subscriptions to Home Automation channels as I havent found any. There is this Joe-N-Tell channel I like that is mainlyu about audio and stuff but there really isnt much in this space. The amount of youtubers reviewing every phone that comes out is crazy, its sooo saturated. Hell even Linus Tech Tips which reviews just about anything under the sun doesnt do much smart home stuff. Their idea of a smart home is a logitech harmony remote with like 3 philips hue bulbs.

Ill throw you a sub if you let me know what your channel name is.

Light properties is one that I have trouble with, such as cold start values, minimums, ramp rates. With all the different LED products in my house I find that some dim properly and some have a very steep curve. not sure if that is included in Dimmer Load Setup.  Ambient room lighting comes to mind as well as it relates to backlighting and LED brightness. 

thanks, this is a great idea. 

27 minutes ago, joecheech said:

Light properties is one that I have trouble with, such as cold start values, minimums, ramp rates. With all the different LED products in my house I find that some dim properly and some have a very steep curve. not sure if that is included in Dimmer Load Setup.  Ambient room lighting comes to mind as well as it relates to backlighting and LED brightness. 

thanks, this is a great idea. 

planning to cover this in lesson 32. and yes this is one of the hardest things to dial in but once its right you can get some really nice smooth ramping from LEDS its made my house look so much more refined.

2 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Dude I think thats a great idea. There honestly isnt enough Smart Home YouTube Channels on the market right now showcasing this and Im sure you would get some traction.

Even just showing really cool things like how the Samsung Frame TV driver works (very cool). Or just showing videos of the product, what it looks like, reviews and such.

I mean it doesn't need to be MKBHD quality, but a decent camera should do it.

I'm a big youtube watcher and I honestly dont have any subscriptions to Home Automation channels as I havent found any. There is this Joe-N-Tell channel I like that is mainlyu about audio and stuff but there really isnt much in this space. The amount of youtubers reviewing every phone that comes out is crazy, its sooo saturated. Hell even Linus Tech Tips which reviews just about anything under the sun doesnt do much smart home stuff. Their idea of a smart home is a logitech harmony remote with like 3 philips hue bulbs.

Ill throw you a sub if you let me know what your channel name is.

https://www.youtube.com/user/waltschannel 

I agree LTT's idea of a smart home makes me cringe every time. This main channel will be mostly for the major products we sell. This course for control4 will be a separate paid course not sure how we are going to be supplying the video and pricing yet but I hope that we can provide much more information and value than you can get any where else.

7 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

https://www.youtube.com/user/waltschannel 

I agree LTT's idea of a smart home makes me cringe every time. This main channel will be mostly for the major products we sell. This course for control4 will be a separate paid course not sure how we are going to be supplying the video and pricing yet but I hope that we can provide much more information and value than you can get any where else.

paid course?  why not draw eyes to it and get paid via ads on youtube?  Could also help direct sales to WaltsTV for C4 (and other) products

Great idea, not sure how many people would pay for it though.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

This course for control4 will be a separate paid course

I’d suggest ala carte to allow some experienced users to pick what they want to pay for.  I know a guitar lesson website that does this. He has dozens of songs up there which you can preview and then buy if interested in. Varying prices depending on length and complexity. You buy and then download it and it’s yours for life. Even came with a PDF of chords - maybe you can do something similar. 

10 minutes ago, joecheech said:

I’d suggest ala carte to allow some experienced users to pick what they want to pay for.  I know a guitar lesson website that does this. He has dozens of songs up there which you can preview and then buy if interested in. Varying prices depending on length and complexity. You buy and then download it and it’s yours for life. Even came with a PDF of chords - maybe you can do something similar. 

that is not a bad idea either. We are thinking of having all of my written notes and a video walk through of everything in actually use in my home. Then we could have a package for anyone that wants to buy all of the videos.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, eggzlot said:

paid course?  why not draw eyes to it and get paid via ads on youtube?  Could also help direct sales to WaltsTV for C4 (and other) products

Great idea, not sure how many people would pay for it though.

I can understand your point here.  But unless you have hundreds of thousands of views per video, the ad revenue will be extremely small.  For the time it will take to do these courses, a per video fee would be completely reasonable.  

OK, don't laugh at my musical taste, but here's a link to the site I had mentioned earlier.  Guy has lots of lessons posted by name.  He allows you to preview them before buying and once you find one you like you add it to your cart and checkout with paypal.  Then you download the video and associated documentation.  Every once in a while he runs a sale - like 10% off:

https://www.gratefulguitarlessons.com/

This looks like a pretty decent platform for bringing your product to market.  The key would be to make some attractive basic videos that all newbies would want in order to drive volume, along with some highly technical ones and / or "bundles" that could potentially move at premium prices.  

Good luck, I'd definitely be a customer.  

On 1/27/2020 at 12:24 PM, Matt Lowe said:

Hats off to you man! Great work here! I really like the production quality, the shots of the products are great. I subbed.

Justin seems like a great guy, I can get behind that. He's good to watch and personable enough,

Really good job on the thumbnails! They are catchy and grab your attention, Video length is very good. You should definitely have more than 330 subs by now. Keep up the work and i'm sure it pay off eventually. Maybe try posting to a few subreddits.

All the videos don't need to be about TVs or Speakers. You could look at other things like RGB Lights, Neeo Remotes, Thermostats, Door locks and all things smart and techy.

Really the only thing I'm not a fan of is your logo. The old Tube TV with the antennas definitely doesn't scream cutting edge tech channel.

Excited to see what else you guys having coming up soon. Cheers,

5 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Really the only thing I'm not a fan of is your logo. The old Tube TV with the antennas definitely doesn't scream cutting edge tech channel.

Excited to see what else you guys having coming up soon. Cheers,

It cause we are old school haha. Our company has been in business for 60 years!

I am also interested!  New to Control4.  I am struggling with lighting scenes (we have all Philips Hue color bulbs in new home - 140 of them) and I would like help setting up scenes with color and linking to other actions (music, fireplace, etc.).  Also geofencing?  Triggered actions when leaving or arriving home.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the feedback. We are still working on distribution options and payment options. 

Right now we have two choices in mind. 

Up front lump sum. Not sure what the price will be but we hope it will be much less than the information we will provide and hope to continue providing.

Second would be a subscription monthly at $25 or annually $240

Might do tiers for additional perks and benefits.

However to keep your interest will plan on offer some other services or maybe even products included with your subscription. 

Some initial thoughts would be:

Email support

Discord chat room for members

Telephone support

Remote programming time for me to help you change, add devices, or automate your system

Remote programming telephone support. 1 on 1 support with remote desktop to show you the steps to programming your system.

Free or discounted products from our already best prices on anything from our website walts.com

Composer Home edition license

For those are interested what would you like?

Thank you everyone for the feedback. We are still working on distribution options and payment options. 
Right now we have two choices in mind. 
Up front lump sum. Not sure what the price will be but we hope it will be much less than the information we will provide and hope to continue providing.
Second would be a subscription monthly at $25 or annually $240
Might do tiers for additional perks and benefits.
However to keep your interest will plan on offer some other services or maybe even products included with your subscription. 
Some initial thoughts would be:
Email support
Discord chat room for members
Telephone support
Remote programming time for me to help you change, add devices, or automate your system
Remote programming telephone support. 1 on 1 support with remote desktop to show you the steps to programming your system.
Free or discounted products from our already best prices on anything from our website walts.com
Composer Home edition license

For those are interested what would you like?

All sounds good. I’d be happy to have a resource that I can refer to for programming scenes, Alexa etc. if it comes with the benefit of a help session, then that’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.