C4 Forums | Control4

Roku

And this driver allows me to have each App in my watch menu and will go directly to the App rather than me having to navigate the Roku Menu?

ie:
Netflix
Disney+
YouTube

And the icon for these apps will show on the navigator screens on TV and devices?

And the driver is IP based? so no IR buds required.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, brucecampbell said:

And this driver allows me to have each App in my watch menu and will go directly to the App rather than me having to navigate the Roku Menu?

ie:
Netflix
Disney+
YouTube

And the icon for these apps will show on the navigator screens on TV and devices?

And the driver is IP based? so no IR buds required.

Cheers.

yes and yes. best driver ever!

This may be too much info, but you can easily access the Roku API from a browser.  Like this (assuming your Roku deviced has IP of 192.168.1.134):

$ curl http://192.168.1.134:8060/query/apps
   <apps>
     <app id="11">Roku Channel Store</app>
     <app id="12">Netflix</app>
     <app id="13">Amazon Video on Demand</app>
     <app id="14">MLB.TV®</app>
     <app id="26">Free FrameChannel Service</app>
     <app id="27">Mediafly</app>
     <app id="28">Pandora</app>
    </apps>

20 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

And each App can be activated with an Alexa command.  So in my Family Room (this is with the free driver):

Alexa, turn on:  [Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, Acorn, etc.]

Don't have to reach for a tablet, phone, remote, etc.  Couldn't be simpler.

This is sounding very promising, Thanks for all the input.
Now all I need is for Alexa to understand our Kiwi accent so we don't have to ask more than once for a simple command....
Changing her from US to Australian helped a bit, but not 100% yet.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

I think the "good" driver is paid.  It is IP based and Roku has a very good open API.  The only thing to beware of is that you can get apps on Roku for everything that you need, including local NZ channels.  That is a bit of an issue with one of the Canadian streaming services.

As said, the Control4 made driver is full IP and API based, and yes indeed allows mini apps for channels. Works like a charm, it's what we use in our showroom for alexa and google voice control demo.

There's a paid driver specifically for Roku TVs, and there's another paid driver for 'regular' Rokus as well but I honestly I don't know what that driver truly adds.....

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No...the free driver is API based. The paid driver is for Roku TV's

Sorry - that's the one I got since I have a couple of Sharp Roku TVs.  It is great to be able to get smaller size TVs with smart capability and IP control for such cheap prices.

It's going to depend on location if you can even get one with a hardwire option (in store at least).

I hate that, but they seem to work very well over WiFi as well so far (We've had a surprising amount of people pick them up on sale themselves over the last holiday period)

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

It's going to depend on location if you can even get one with a hardwire option (in store at least).

I hate that, but they seem to work very well over WiFi as well so far (We've had a surprising amount of people pick them up on sale themselves over the last holiday period)

I just purchased today from Amazon for a good price (weird they still don't ship to NZ even though they now have a presence here.)
Alexa devices are available in store in NZ, however Roku is not.
I got the Roku Premiere, so I'm hoping my wifi is up to scratch.

Yeah, this streaming fighting stuff is bull.

ATTNow also currently can't be loaded to Roku FYI, still works if loaded pre 2020, but don't delete.

So what's the beef? Roku want's ad pennies? How does it differ from an app on a phone that there needs to be an 'agreement' ?

On 2/1/2020 at 4:39 AM, eggzlot said:

maybe not a big deal if in NZ but not sure if people saw this news today (not c4 related):

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/30/21116163/roku-super-bowl-fox-sports-channels-apps-email

Hope you arent planning on using a roku to watch the super bowl via the Fox Sports App

Super Bowl is not very big in NZ, but there are enough die hard American sports fans here for someone to have it available.
I think Spark Sport is streaming Super Bowl this year in NZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite having (2) cable boxes and and AppleTV in the rack, the only thing that ever gets use with my kids is Roku mostly because of  the mini-drivers for quick access to Netflix, Amazon, Disney, etc.  I'm debating getting a second Roku - is there any "good" way to utilize the same mini drivers such that if one TV is watching a Roku source and a second TV requests a different Roku channel that the alternate Roku gets routed to the second TV and not the first that is currently streaming a different channel to a different tv?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.