C4 Forums | Control4

Roku

2 hours ago, WisC4 said:

Despite having (2) cable boxes and and AppleTV in the rack, the only thing that ever gets use with my kids is Roku mostly because of  the mini-drivers for quick access to Netflix, Amazon, Disney, etc.  I'm debating getting a second Roku - is there any "good" way to utilize the same mini drivers such that if one TV is watching a Roku source and a second TV requests a different Roku channel that the alternate Roku gets routed to the second TV and not the first that is currently streaming a different channel to a different tv?  

Yes. You would either dedicate a roku for one or more rooms or name the roku 1, roku 2

but If they were both available in all rooms then you would have To see which one is in use by looking at sessions. 

14 hours ago, JSTRONG said:

Yes. You would either dedicate a roku for one or more rooms or name the roku 1, roku 2

but If they were both available in all rooms then you would have To see which one is in use by looking at sessions. 

That's how I have the two cable boxes set up as 1 and 2, but i"m looking for a way to program it 'smarter" so there's no yelling and screaming that someone has changed the roku channel.  Can anyone think of a way for rokus 1 and 2 to get routed to a TV based on the state of the other roku?  i.e. if :"roku box 1" is playing disney in the family room and someone selects the  netflix channel shortcut/mini driver in the living room, then  control4/Leaf routes "roku box 2" to the living room so as not to disturb roku 1.

I use room source variables to track the rooms source,  you could easily program off that- When living current select device changes- IF living current select source is = Roku1 AND IF bedroom current select source is = Roku1-  > select Roku2... This is not complete as I'm sure this will need additional programming to support it... But you get the idea

On 2/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, RAV said:

Yup.

Double Yup.
Dedicated devices per TV seems the way to go now.
I purchased an expensive Leaf Component AV matrix many years ago when I first set up with C4 - back when HDMI was not quite the norm.
I never made the expensive upgrade to an HDMI matrix and am so glad I didn't - as all we do now is stream with dedicated devices at the TV location.

I still have a DVD player plugged into the component matrix and an old Netgear EV but both just take up space in the rack...

Oh dont get me wrong. I totally use my HDMI matrix. I have 5 TV's so I dont want a sat box and roku at each TV. And I especially dont want 5 Kaleidescape players. I also want my security cameras on each TV so my NVR is connected to my matrix for display and recording playback. 

The Hdmi matrix switch is not for everyone, but for some it just makes sense

51 minutes ago, brucecampbell said:

Double Yup.
Dedicated devices per TV seems the way to go now.
I purchased an expensive Leaf Component AV matrix many years ago when I first set up with C4 - back when HDMI was not quite the norm.
I never made the expensive upgrade to an HDMI matrix and am so glad I didn't - as all we do now is stream with dedicated devices at the TV location.

I still have a DVD player plugged into the component matrix and an old Netgear EV but both just take up space in the rack...

I wouldnt say dedicated devices per tv is for everyone just like a matrix is not for everyone. It hinges off your setup and want you want available to each tv.  Me i prefer the matrix as i have 4k blu-ray, roku shield, hopper, NVR. If i were to have each of these devices available to every tv in my home, i would be much more poor than i already am haha. Not to mention the number of times each of these has been upgraded in the last 5 years the matrix has made me money at this point.

And let’s consider the clutter since you can’t hide everything behind a tv. Most people just want a clean install flat screen hung on their wall. They don’t want all of these audio video components under the tv. Just a simple cat6 cable is all you need to the tv. 

2 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

And let’s consider the clutter since you can’t hide everything behind a tv. Most people just want a clean install flat screen hung on their wall. They don’t want all of these audio video components under the tv. Just a simple cat6 cable is all you need to the tv. 

Just don't forget power 😉

1 hour ago, JSTRONG said:

You can hide a lot behind a TV if you have back-boxes installed.. typically only applicable for new construction, though.

4 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

You can hide a lot behind a TV if you have back-boxes installed.. typically only applicable for new construction, though.

Numerous retro option out there, though stud space and spacing is important is important. Of course it depends on your wall construction too...

There is no one 'correct' way of setting up video, as mentioned before in the thread, it depends on the situation (and sometimes existing wiring) what is the 'better' way.

If you're a cable cutter and all you have is Rokus....then yeah a matrix doesn't make a ton of sense. But if you have a bluray collection, K-scape or are still using cable/sat a lot then it does.

Hybrid options may make sense as well, provided you can feed a matrix to the TV and can het audio back down (assuming you use distributed audio for TV purposes).

IE local Rokus for netwflix, Disney et al and the rest central.

Or even more mixed like I have myself, where I have dedicated Rokus at my two most used locations (which are also UHD) and a central one for the 'fringe' TVs that is distributed.
What do you use to back haul the audio to a central AVR or wall / ceiling stereo speakers in this scenario.

I mm thinking about this for 4K but need to get 7.1 back from the local Roku to the AVR in that model. Thinking that may be easier / cheaper than getting 4k hdr from the center to the TV.

44 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

What do you use to back haul the audio to a central AVR or wall / ceiling stereo speakers in this scenario.

I mm thinking about this for 4K but need to get 7.1 back from the local Roku to the AVR in that model. Thinking that may be easier / cheaper than getting 4k hdr from the center to the TV.

In hindsight I'm glad we ran audio return lines from each tv back to the rack originally intended for TV app audio (which we never use).

2 minutes ago, SMHarman said:
4 minutes ago, WisC4 said:
In hindsight I'm glad we ran audio return lines from each tv back to the rack originally intended for TV app audio (which we never use).

A RCA pair? Works for stereo, not digital.

Whatever kind of extender kit you want over CAT6. 

11 hours ago, SMHarman said:

In my specific case, I have high end scalers at the TV/for the projector (also does local gaming systems), and I use a secondary HDMI out to feed back to the room's receiver. But generally - optical from TV to a converter to digi coax, then back down, or to stereo down if it's not on surround.

11 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

In my specific case, I have high end scalers at the TV/for the projector (also does local gaming systems), and I use a secondary HDMI out to feed back to the room's receiver. But generally - optical from TV to a converter to digi coax, then back down, or to stereo down if it's not on surround.

I ran RG6 coax to each TV location when I built about 13 years back.
Now that the TV needs to send audio back to the rack, I use this cable via a converter from the TV's optical out.

I also ran 2 x cat 6 for the component matrix;
I never accounted for TV's having ethernet, nor having local devices, so have since run another two cat 6 - one for the TV and one for the Apple TV (even though both can use wifi...)
I'm lucky I have roof space and a cavity behind my main TV.......

Or just do what i did.

I eventually replaced 5 of 6 Panasonic plasma tvs with TCL Roku TVs.  Nothing to connect. 

I hate to say it, but my $425 65" 2018 4K UHD HDR TCL LCD Series 6 beats my 2009 $3500 65" Panasonic 1080p Plasma.

I use Tablo or YouTube TV for local channels or cable with unlimited DVR.  An Roku apps like Plex and Netflix for everything else.

No cable boxes, no dongles, and full IP C4 Control.   

All the HDMI extenders I ran years ago are just gathering dust now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.