C4 Forums | Control4

HC-250 in Slave Mode

snipboy

Question

I am considering getting another HC-250 to be used as a Slave to another HC-250 (Director/Controller). I am currently on 2.10.6 and don't have any intention of going to OS3 at the present time. 

1. Can I use a Slave HC-250 to upgrade some Embernet devices I have before making it a slave -- roll it back to 2.5.3? 

2. Can I use the HC-250's IR ports for controlling some devices once it is in Slave mode?

3. Does a Slave HC-250 require a TCP/IP connection or will it auto connect to the HC-250 via Zigbee Pro?

4. If i do upgrade to OS3 and get an HC-800 or greater controller, can I still use the HC-250's as slaves or to control items with their IR ports?

TIA!

Jeff

22 answers to this question

Fair point on the HC800. I really want the IR ports on the back of an HC250. And they are much cheaper than the IR extender hardware one can buy. My Mesh is currently pretty solid when it comes to responsiveness and reliability. The fanciest thing I do A/V wise is controlling TVs and ATVs with IR. 

or get an EA3 or ea5, last option would be an ea1. any of the three will be a big improvement and will mean one less thing you will need to upgrade should you ever decide to jump to os3 +. May not be tempting now but who know what new features they may be bringing.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, snipboy said:

I am pretty settled on having a solid 2.10 experience going forward. The only thing that might convince me to upgrade significantly would also be significantly more control over my platform. 

OS 3. gives you a lot more customization options over the app is one that got a major overhaul. 

On 2/7/2020 at 5:19 PM, Matt Lowe said:

OS 3. gives you a lot more customization options over the app is one that got a major overhaul. 

My nearly 80 year old parents have no need for OS3. (I love it) Can I add a second HC-250 onto a system directed by an HC-250?

Does anyone recall which OS allowed for this ? I remember when I started with C4, a 800 was necessary to "enslave" HC-250s

however, I somewhat remember a loosening of restrictions on 250s when OS3 came out. 

ugh. I really don't want to buy them an 800. Their system is minuscule. 

thanks 

JM

23 minutes ago, BuffaloC4 said:

My nearly 80 year old parents have no need for OS3. (I love it) Can I add a second HC-250 onto a system directed by an HC-250?

Does anyone recall which OS allowed for this ? I remember when I started with C4, a 800 was necessary to "enslave" HC-250s

however, I somewhat remember a loosening of restrictions on 250s when OS3 came out. 

ugh. I really don't want to buy them an 800. Their system is minuscule. 

thanks 

JM

sorry, ask your question again - you can have 2 250's in a project no problem.  (i have an extra to sell cheap)

Just now, msgreenf said:

sorry, ask your question again - you can have 2 250's in a project no problem.  (i have an extra to sell cheap)

Thanks for your time, Msgreenf, what os is required to have a project with 2x HC-250 and no 800. 

I don't want to have to buy my parents an 800 just to control their minuscule setup. 

They already have 1 HC-250 and I'll add the 2nd tomorrow if it's possible.

unfortunately I already got a 250 and SR260 from eBay for nearly nothing. 

thanks again, 

The Madia's

2 hours ago, BuffaloC4 said:

Thank you. A friend of mine is saying 2.10.6. I'll check it out tomorrow.

much appreciation, 

JM

2.10.6 is fine but I've only heard from a few dealers that hc250's run best on 2.9.1. 

I like the "page flip" feature (a camera pop up on a TS) so if you update past 2.9.1, that programming feature is gone.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:51 AM, snipboy said:

I am considering getting another HC-250 to be used as a Slave to another HC-250 (Director/Controller). I am currently on 2.10.6 and don't have any intention of going to OS3 at the present time. 

1. Can I use a Slave HC-250 to upgrade some Embernet devices I have before making it a slave -- roll it back to 2.5.3? 

2. Can I use the HC-250's IR ports for controlling some devices once it is in Slave mode?

3. Does a Slave HC-250 require a TCP/IP connection or will it auto connect to the HC-250 via Zigbee Pro?

4. If i do upgrade to OS3 and get an HC-800 or greater controller, can I still use the HC-250's as slaves or to control items with their IR ports?

TIA!

Jeff

On 2/3/2020 at 10:08 AM, msgreenf said:

1 yes
2 yes
3 no. Ip
4 no. No 250s period on os 3

1. You can't use a HC-250 to upgrade embernet devices. Only HC-200,300,500's will do the upgrade.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:30 AM, dcovach said:

2.10.6 is fine but I've only heard from a few dealers that hc250's run best on 2.9.1. 

I like the "page flip" feature (a camera pop up on a TS) so if you update past 2.9.1, that programming feature is gone.

Doesn't the navigation agent allow you to do this? 

M

1 minute ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

Doesn't the navigation agent allow you to do this? 

M

From what I remember, not with an HC250.  I had to roll back a client from 2.10.6 to 2.9.1 after making the mistake of updating too soon.  The page flip (camera bookmark) works just fine on 2.9.1 but disappears on 2.10+

1 minute ago, dcovach said:

From what I remember, not with an HC250.  I had to roll back a client from 2.10.6 to 2.9.1 after making the mistake of updating too soon.  The page flip (camera bookmark) works just fine on 2.9.1 but disappears on 2.10+

Interesting, Its not something i use a lot (I think iv'e used the navigation agent twice) to be honest with you. 

I have a HC250 lying around somewhere, guess thats what i'm going to do on the weekend. lol

M

1 minute ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

Interesting, Its not something i use a lot (I think iv'e used the navigation agent twice) to be honest with you. 

I have a HC250 lying around somewhere, guess thats what i'm going to do on the weekend. lol

M

Try it with a T3.  I know it won't work with a TV Navigator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.