C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad bounded to lights. Best practice?

Izwebusr

Question

Hi,

My dealer setup the keypads with the buttons bound to light switches.  This works fine but it means I cannot make any changes to the keypads with Composer HE.

Is this the best way to have this set up?  I do not want to chase my dealer every time I want to make a change with the buttons on the keypads and the light switches.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Like the OP I am not keen on this setup as it doesn't allow me to make changes as a Composer HE user.  Even more frustrating is that you can't even see what is bound to a keypad in Composer HE.

The upside is that you can ramp up lights by holding onto the button, and the LED scheme transfers across from the dimmer to the keypad.

15 hours ago, JSTRONG said:

Agree with Mitch that it is the most responsive way to do it. However if you are the type to make changes and tinker, and you have Home edition, then by all means have your dealer remove the connection. 

Or tinker until you are happy and then get things bound...

If you do program things yourself then the onPress event is pretty much the same (speed wise) as Binding the switch to a light.  The corollary to this is that if you want to use the double click option then neither binding nor “on press” is ideal and you should use single click instead (in most cases). An exception being where the double click event can (or should) play nicely with the on press (or bound) event.

bound lights is the most time effective connection. You can mimic the connection through more intensive programming if you are changing buttons frequently. I can say may once or twice have i ever programmed lighting vs using the bindings even with community of DIY programmers here. The benefit is just not there for most.

Binding a load to a keypad button is the most efficient way to have a button control a single load as you automatically get press and hold to raise/lower without any additional programming.

However as soon as you wish to perform any single, double or even triple tap functionality then you need to remove this binding and do it all in programming instead. It is also then much more complicated to add any press and hold functionality to raise/lower the level of a light load.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.