C4 Forums | Control4

Patio heater Integration

rf9000

On 2/10/2020 at 1:11 PM, Darkimedes said:

Did these with RadioRA2 and the 0-10v modules. Use the expensive panel on this site, and you won't have any issues. Full control and "dimming" available. customers always loved, just create a room called heaters to reduce confusion. You'll need a 0-10V dimmer for each zone you are trying to dim.

http://infratech-usa.com/products/controls/home-management/

Mike

I am trying to control 2 Infratech Dual Element heaters.

I have purchased the home automation panel from infratech and (2) Control 4  0-10V dimmers.  How did you wire this setup?

Do you still connect 120v 14-2 wire to the 0-10v dimmers or do you just connect cat5 wires from the dimmers to the home automation panel?

We already have the heaters wired and the control panel connected to my breaker box.

I have shown my Control 4 dealer and a electrician the schematics for the infratech panel and they do not seem to understand the correct wiring. X-30-4062-CUSTOM-2-ZONE-HOME-MANAGEMENT-Figure 3. Single Device 

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, Darkimedes said:

Totally understand that sentiment from the view that it is your house. If you don't need that fine of control, then the High/low/off option does work. Coming from the contractor side, where the homeowner is already making a significant investment in the structure, wiring, controls, and landscaping, I would bid the control panel as the first or best option. Your design would be my second or Better design.

Having just went though this, wanted to agree with you and leave this for others to consider:

I wasn’t thrilled with the price of the (Infratech) box either. But given I was already deep in it, I’m glad I bought, as the functionality/quality is nice. (Also a pretty future-proof design.)

With the 0-10V dimmer, I get independent control of four dual-element heaters and linear dimming through the range — it’s great. Tangent, the dimmer providing a hardwired/backup capability is nice too.

Prior to my integration, I’d bootstrapped something with $20 in parts to turn them on — FYI to DIYers, these things draw a lot of current and can interfere with other tech. if using inferior parts. For example, my LED lights buzzed house-wide at partial heater power.

Not saying it can’t be done cheaper (and props. to those who put in the research/legwork), but I think the product folks got the pricing strategy right on this one.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:01 AM, booch said:

Having just went though this, wanted to agree with you and leave this for others to consider:

I wasn’t thrilled with the price of the (Infratech) box either. But given I was already deep in it, I’m glad I bought, as the functionality/quality is nice. (Also a pretty future-proof design.)

With the 0-10V dimmer, I get independent control of four dual-element heaters and linear dimming through the range — it’s great. Tangent, the dimmer providing a hardwired/backup capability is nice too.

Prior to my integration, I’d bootstrapped something with $20 in parts to turn them on — FYI to DIYers, these things draw a lot of current and can interfere with other tech. if using inferior parts. For example, my LED lights buzzed house-wide at partial heater power.

Not saying it can’t be done cheaper (and props. to those who put in the research/legwork), but I think the product folks got the pricing strategy right on this one.

Idk almost 5k for a bod that I can do most of with for $120? 2 Elk relays allows for C4 on/off control, now I can't do partial voltage but the ceiling they are mounted in is a bit high (like 16 ft) so I use them only on high anyway. But for a $2300 savings I'm ok w that. Get up to 6 heaters and you're talking over 6k savings after taxes/shipping.

I got some question, are your switches connected direct to heating bodies?  I mean the voltage and current is pretty high and it will cause to small arches when you turning it on or off. I so same system working with relays, so switch just controls only low energy relay input and relay takes care of rest of the stuff. In any case we installed switch for each heater ( or two switches ). I didn't read all comments here, but anyways it won't be good idea to install anything based on assumptions without knowing how exactly it works. 

6 hours ago, vitali said:

I got some question, are your switches connected direct to heating bodies?  I mean the voltage and current is pretty high and it will cause to small arches when you turning it on or off. I so same system working with relays, so switch just controls only low energy relay input and relay takes care of rest of the stuff. In any case we installed switch for each heater ( or two switches ). I didn't read all comments here, but anyways it won't be good idea to install anything based on assumptions without knowing how exactly it works. 

No like I said use an Elk Relay. Changes a regular 120v switch into 220v for the heaters. You can get them cheaper but here is an example. 

https://www.surveillance-video.com/power-supply-9200.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrKr8BRB_EiwA7eFapv9m9ZhaSa4r-jF08NrSKLzlw_rw-gZ136Tj3nDcSS8WPVMttLUhNRoCaXkQAvD_BwE

So, as I understand, you need to control those relays, 2 relay per unit? are they (relays) 120 volt operated? if yes, so you probably need 1 switch for each relay. now, if you need more then 3 switches you may consider to use Lutron caseta switches. 

1. you need to buy Lutron caseta bridge pro2 (not regular "Home Depot" one, PRO2)

2. buy on Amazon Lutron Caseta switches (not dimmers!) one per heater. 69 CAD each (I live in Canada, ) and make them working by your self (there are 100 videos on You tube) 

3. Integrate it with C4 (not difficult, but need C4 integrator), Alexa-DIY, Google home-DIY and Siri-DIY (Control4 will turn on and off, "hey Siri/Alexa/Google turn on patio heater 1" or whatever will work as well)

it is not complicated, but if you are going to do that Be sure you buy PRO2 and confirm you control 120 volt relay!!!

caseta switches are about 2/3 time cheaper. and they work just perfect (I  have 10 switches at my place- work well) can be tided to C4 keypads, or whatever. There are some small limitations but they 2//3 times cheaper! 

C4 switch MSRP in Canada about 180? Caseta you get it for 69.Yes you need to buy bridge, but if you need more then 3 switches - it will be more cost efficient solution.

29 minutes ago, vitali said:

caseta switches are about 2/3 time cheaper. and they work just perfect (I  have 10 switches at my place- work well) can be tided to C4 keypads, or whatever. There are some small limitations but they 2//3 times cheaper! 

C4 switch MSRP in Canada about 180? Caseta you get it for 69.Yes you need to buy bridge, but if you need more then 3 switches - it will be more cost efficient solution.

If doing for this one purpose an essential C4 switch is cheaper than a Caseta and Pro Hub. 

So we have the Infratech Control Panel but I do not see where the dimmable control is? Can anyone help with which driver they are using so I can make sure we have the correct one? To me it looks like my dealer installed them as relays and I can only turn them on or off? 

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 7:30 PM, grant0830 said:

So we have the Infratech Control Panel but I do not see where the dimmable control is? Can anyone help with which driver they are using so I can make sure we have the correct one? To me it looks like my dealer installed them as relays and I can only turn them on or off? 

Can you post your panel/control box part number and list the C4 hardware you have controlling it? Happy to help, but there are options.

The ideal/standard (at least IMO) is to buy the Infratech panel with SCR relays and use C4 0-10V dimmers (likely the 8 channel with several heaters).

• 10 months later...

Your heating project is probably done already but I thought I would mention Bromic's solution.  I have two Platinum Electric outdoor heaters on my covered patio and love the dimmer control.  Sounds like the Infratech is much more expensive but the Bromic controls are simple and aesthetically pleasing.  

https://www.bromic.com/product/wireless-dimmer-controller/

On 11/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, Paul Bresenden said:

Your heating project is probably done already but I thought I would mention Bromic's solution.  I have two Platinum Electric outdoor heaters on my covered patio and love the dimmer control.  Sounds like the Infratech is much more expensive but the Bromic controls are simple and aesthetically pleasing.  

https://www.bromic.com/product/wireless-dimmer-controller/

Paul, thanks for this.  We ended up with a similar solution, and I agree with you that the Bromic dimmer controls work well.  

What we did was wire our two heaters to two different Bromic dimmer control units.  Each control unit was then wired to its own ELK relay, both of which were then connected to a single Control4 switch.  The C4 switch is bound to a timer experience button, so basically, we just use C4 to make sure the heaters don't inadvertently get left on for long periods of time.    It works for us.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, Darkimedes said:

Did these with RadioRA2 and the 0-10v modules. Use the expensive panel on this site, and you won't have any issues. Full control and "dimming" available. customers always loved, just create a room called heaters to reduce confusion. You'll need a 0-10V dimmer for each zone you are trying to dim.

http://infratech-usa.com/products/controls/home-management/

I just had 2 Infratech heaters installed and C4 keypad to control the heaters along with the switches inside their Infratech panel.  However, I am unable to locate information on getting the controls such that they will show up on my touch screens, iOS app and NEEO.  When I contacted my Infratech rep he and his source at the company said they don't supply a driver.  Is there one that C4 supplies?  My local integrator has not installed these specific patio heaters before and trying to find the information to shorten the time here when they do a truck roll.  Any information appreciated!

Everything your dealer needs is in the driver database.  All free, nothing special required.  Either a switch or 0-10v dimmer driver, depending on what was installed.  I'd highly recommend Using the Fireplace Experience Driver (also free) and connecting it to the respective switch.  That way you can have the heather show up under Comfort where it logically belongs, and the button brings up a nice on/off timer that you can adjust with a button push.  That way it doesn't get left on by mistake.

If your dealer doesn't know how to do this, you might consider getting a new dealer...

29 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Everything your dealer needs is in the driver database.  All free, nothing special required.  Either a switch or 0-10v dimmer driver, depending on what was installed.  I'd highly recommend Using the Fireplace Experience Driver (also free) and connecting it to the respective switch.  That way you can have the heather show up under Comfort where it logically belongs, and the button brings up a nice on/off timer that you can adjust with a button push.  That way it doesn't get left on by mistake.

If your dealer doesn't know how to do this, you might consider getting a new dealer...

I appreciate the details on this.  Thanks 

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone -- New house build with Control4 dimmers to 3x Infratech dual element heaters. Our electricians have come 4 times to do the integration and can't figure it out with even with infratech support. The and AV team says it should work, but the heaters will not turn on unless we do a bypass with normal switches.  What are we doing wrong?

processed-5B73B924-CBB0-4156-BAA6-A20913E59B66-E8C83286-2AFA-4207-B97E-B92C8990E3BC.thumb.jpeg.e66b8436ba0bb3399bf8d70afed9475d.jpeg2.thumb.jpeg.b95c8ea2504b5b620fafd8f1ff3c39a1.jpeg4.thumb.jpg.25114b1ef607e45522d5fe69c67d32b7.jpg

On 8/23/2023 at 7:20 AM, dadjokesfirst said:

Hi Everyone -- New house build with Control4 dimmers to 3x Infratech dual element heaters. Our electricians have come 4 times to do the integration and can't figure it out with even with infratech support. The and AV team says it should work, but the heaters will not turn on unless we do a bypass with normal switches.  What are we doing wrong?

processed-5B73B924-CBB0-4156-BAA6-A20913E59B66-E8C83286-2AFA-4207-B97E-B92C8990E3BC.thumb.jpeg.e66b8436ba0bb3399bf8d70afed9475d.jpeg2.thumb.jpeg.b95c8ea2504b5b620fafd8f1ff3c39a1.jpeg4.thumb.jpg.25114b1ef607e45522d5fe69c67d32b7.jpg

I have a four relay version of the same panel and the same heaters, which I self-installed because our electricians were also confused, so happy to help.

1) What do you mean it works when you ‘bypass’ it?

2) Is the voltage measuring 0-10V at the input terminals on the top right of the panel when you use the switches?

3) The relays appear disconnected in this photo, FYI, as they have green lights when in standby.

4) Also FYI, I’m no licensed electrician, but that extra neutral feed hanging haphazardly in there looks super sketch — I hope it’s not live

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the necrobump but it seems like the right place for it,

Trying to decide which control box i need. I only need 1 zone(controlling all 3 at once is fine) but my concern is how many heaters can 1 zone power? I thought I had read somewhere it was 8000watts so if i had 2 4000 watt heaters, im done?

I was thinking about putting the heaters where my yellow marks are, but not sure if 30-4061 1 Relay Home Management Panel will work or I need more Relays for 3 heaters.

image.thumb.png.216758a561dc30fdc240d53d08442b9c.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.