C4 Forums | Control4

Can I automate these shades?

joecheech

https://www.avoutlet.com/window-treatments/shade-components/motorized/motors/?features_hash=10-214_76-3311

these all start at 1.5''.  You would have to dig around to see if Somfy offers something in 1'' tubes.  Maybe there is a converter or something.  I'd contact AVOutlet - Ken will let you know the answer ASAP.

Thanks, I will reach out to him.

Remember it is not particularly hard to move the fabric to a new tube.

You would buy the new tube, motor and non motor end from the above or similar and then unroll the old onto a card tube and re-work onto the larger tube.

Tube and ends are cheap. Motors and fabric are the cost. Yiu already want to spend money on motors and already have the fabric so the tubes etc is minimal additional cost to implement.

https://www.avoutlet.com/window-treatments/shade-components/manual/tubes/1.5-38mm-shade-tubes/

Just now, SMHarman said:

Remember it is not particularly hard to move the fabric to a new tube.

You would buy the new tube, motor and non motor end from the above or similar and then unroll the old onto a card tube and re-work onto the larger tube.

Tube and ends are cheap. Motors and fabric are the cost. Yiu already want to spend money on motors and already have the fabric so the tubes etc is minimal additional cost to implement.

fair enough

zero experience moving from tube to tube physically

if there was a $5 thing to add on to down/upsize that is how this lazy guy would go!

Great thoughts on this, thanks. Have been exchanging emails with Ken in order to get to bottom of this. Picture, unfortunately isn’t good enough to say for sure. I’ll let folks know how this develops. Looked at tubes - they are like $10 per tube so not a big add on if I have to change out. 

fair enough
zero experience moving from tube to tube physically
if there was a $5 thing to add on to down/upsize that is how this lazy guy would go!
Clean dining table.

Wash hands

Put a clean cloth or sheet on it to protect table and shade.

Take shade and old tube and put it on one end of table.

Take a tube. Unroll blind from old tube onto this intermediate tube. Get to end and undo sticky tape.

Take old tube. Cut another tube to tje exact length with a metal saw.

Take that tube remove cover from sticky tape. Tape fabric to it.

Roll fabric. onto new tube in same roll direction.

Job done.

It really is simple.

Great thoughts on this, thanks. Have been exchanging emails with Ken in order to get to bottom of this. Picture, unfortunately isn’t good enough to say for sure. I’ll let folks know how this develops. Looked at tubes - they are like $10 per tube so not a big add on if I have to change out. 
I used this guy / site to do exactly this back in 2017

18 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

I used this guy

Great, assuming you are happy with how it worked. 

We've determined through our email exchange that I don't have Rollease tubes so now it comes down to if I have enough width in my window casement to fit the hardware / brackets needed to accommodate a tube changeover with motor.  

OK, sent some measurements to Ken last night and will find out if I have enough room to fit the new hardware into my setup so that I can keep my fabric.

Thinking about next steps, which electronic components would I need to integrate these once I get my tubes, motors, and brackets?  I'm starting with nothing, so do I need a Somfy remote / My Link / Bond Bridge, etc?  

BTW, going with the Somfy Roll Up 28 Wire Free RTS Shade Motor with Built-in Lithium Ion battery.  (R28WF)

11 minutes ago, joecheech said:

OK, sent some measurements to Ken last night and will find out if I have enough room to fit the new hardware into my setup so that I can keep my fabric.

Thinking about next steps, which electronic components would I need to integrate these once I get my tubes, motors, and brackets?  I'm starting with nothing, so do I need a Somfy remote / My Link / Bond Bridge, etc?  

BTW, going with the Somfy Roll Up 28 Wire Free RTS Shade Motor with Built-in Lithium Ion battery.  (R28WF)

You could use a Somfy remote+myLink (remote is necessary for initial pairing to the myLink).  The driver is free (there is also a paid one that offers more functionality).

I think you could probably use the Bond as well, but I haven't done this yet, so I'm not sure how that works.  This driver is not free.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.