C4 Forums | Control4

Sonoff switch for dimming?

Firehawk335

Hi all,

I’m building my first smart home during a full home renovation (all new wiring).  I don’t like the look of or the necessity to use so many Control4 switches on a 3 or 4 way light string (8 Led light cans).  Not to mention the ridiculous cost.  I want traditional toggle switches visible only.

I like the idea of using Sonoff smart switches on the line just before the light string and after the wall switches.  Program the Sonoff for default on to full bright when power is applied.  And obviously when power is off per wall switch the lights will go off.

https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy-smart-switches/powr2

Is this possible?

And will Sonoff support dimming?

Thanks,

-Hawk

Never heard of them. I also dont quite understand where this is supposed to be installed.

C4 lighting is on the upper end budget wise, but the control and quality is well worth more than what it costs. Also you only need one c4 device for each load if you have 3 or 4 ways or more. You can use aux keypads for 40 bucks or even configurable keypads in key locations. If you wanna be really budget oriented you can also space the lighting out to be sure you have control interfaces where ever you may need them.,

5 hours ago, Firehawk335 said:

Hi all,

I’m building my first smart home during a full home renovation (all new wiring).  I don’t like the look of or the necessity to use so many Control4 switches on a 3 or 4 way light string (8 Led light cans).  Not to mention the ridiculous cost.  I want traditional toggle switches visible only.

I like the idea of using Sonoff smart switches on the line just before the light string and after the wall switches.  Program the Sonoff for default on to full bright when power is applied.  And obviously when power is off per wall switch the lights will go off.

https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy-smart-switches/powr2

Is this possible?

And will Sonoff support dimming?

Thanks,

-Hawk

I understand what you are trying to achieve but know this:

- You will need to use Sonoff Mini’s

- You have to install the Mini’s behind your toggle switches to be able to use the toggle or on/off switches

- You need to flash each Sonoff Mini with Tasmota and configure it to be used either with Toggle or On/Off

- You need to have an MQTT Broker on Server or NAS running all the time

- You need to use David’s Berto C4 Driver

I suggest to have this setup on secondary loads not your primary ones (lighting) and use C4 Panelized Dimmers/Switches with 2xIO extenders for using the Relays to do the Job.  This is not only cost effective but robust as well.

I also use C4 in-Wall Puck Dimmers and Switches to have a decent Zigbee Mesh that is needed for remotes!

I used Sonoff Mini’s (16) to automate the rest of house that is not primary lighting, very very solid, zero issues.

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 3:29 AM, Amr said:

I understand what you are trying to achieve but know this:

- You will need to use Sonoff Mini’s

- You have to install the Mini’s behind your toggle switches to be able to use the toggle or on/off switches

- You need to flash each Sonoff Mini with Tasmota and configure it to be used either with Toggle or On/Off

- You need to have an MQTT Broker on Server or NAS running all the time

- You need to use David’s Berto C4 Driver

I suggest to have this setup on secondary loads not your primary ones (lighting) and use C4 Panelized Dimmers/Switches with 2xIO extenders for using the Relays to do the Job.  This is not only cost effective but robust as well.

I also use C4 in-Wall Puck Dimmers and Switches to have a decent Zigbee Mesh that is needed for remotes!

I used Sonoff Mini’s (16) to automate the rest of house that is not primary lighting, very very solid, zero issues.

This solution is rock solid at my house, almost every single light.

15 minutes ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

Their LAN protocol is multicast, no cloud, hub or MqTT.

All local and fast.

I meant within your suite not MQTT, am currently running it locally via multicast driver from Chowmain 😉

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.