C4 Forums | Control4

Binding vs Programming

GadgetBazza

Composer HE used here...

So I’m still fiddling with the purposes of each of my buttons on my C4 Physical lighting switches.

for buttons that don’t have anything assigned I can add programming in HE to do what I want.  However if I want to unassign a button that turns a light on currently, there doesn’t appear to be anything I can see or do to achieve this.

is this what is referred to as binding and only possible in Pro?

if so, would it make sense to ask my dealer to remove all the light switch bindings and replace them with programming so that I can re -assign when I want to via programming or is this bad practice for some reason?

Control4 usually recommends connections (bindings) with keypads before going to programming but both do work. 

Its the difference between making one connection from Keypad button 2 > Hallway Light, or having to program "when keypad button 2 is pressed/released > Then turn on hallway light." 

17 minutes ago, Cart said:

Control4 usually recommends connections (bindings) with keypads before going to programming but both do work. 

Its the difference between making one connection from Keypad button 2 > Hallway Light, or having to program "when keypad button 2 is pressed/released > Then turn on hallway light." 

Yeah, except that that line of programming doesn't give you ramping control, and it doesn't change the LED.

And if you do implement the programming, then it's not quite as snappy/precise as a binding.

WHEN {keypad button}is PRESSED
	PRESS {light} toggle button

WHEN {keypad button}is RELEASED
	RELEASE {light} toggle button

Add LED programming as desired as well.

HOWEVER you can NOT do this for lighting scenes, only for individual lights

However if I want to unassign a button that turns a light on currently, there doesn’t appear to be anything I can see or do to achieve this.

But you CAN change it, by CAREFULLY using the change layout option.

When changing layout, just add the same layout back, and assign the old function of any button you want to keep back in, leaving out the one you're looking to 'unbind'

41 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Bingo. Programming is wrong

But necessary if you want to do anything "non standard" like execute additional "things", double taps, triple taps, etc.

The annoying thing is that bindings are always much quicker to respond, even than programming a "press," but you often NEED to use programming to achieve any type of advanced behavior.

4 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

But necessary if you want to do anything "non standard" like execute additional "things", double taps, triple taps, etc.

The annoying thing is that bindings are always much quicker to respond, even than programming a "press," but you often NEED to use programming to achieve any type of advanced behavior.

Ehhh....

You could argue back and forth on the NEED forever.

Personally I would NEVER suggest programming added functions on regular lighting control buttons.

You want three SCENES to trigger on sing, double triple on a keypad, then sure, but all too often do a lot of that sort of thing just creates a situation that isn't very useful, as no-one can keep track of what all does what.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do all kinds of things on button presses, but take care you don't overdo/over-complicate it, because the end result can be frustrating, which is the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

I try to keep my double clicks and triple clicks standard across all buttons of the same type.

E.g. For lights, double click will set the relevant lights / scene to 50%

For “off” buttons (Room Off, Suite Off, Downstairs Off, Upstairs Off, House Off), single click turns lights off, double click turns AV off and triple click turns both off.

For “music” buttons, single click does my music, double click does my wife’s music and triple click does a playlist that we share (both like) other than in the kids rooms, where single, double and triple are all their play lists or music sources.

Thanks all, helpful responses.

The ramp / led piece I guess is the obvious difference and possible snappy operation.

I like the idea of consistency across different locations.

we primarily have the switches in the bedrooms, but one also in the hallway by the front door which operates the garage doors, gates, house off and we all struggle to remember which is which already!

i need to sit and think through what we need.

thanks also for the tip on removing a binding by using the layout option.

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Ehhh....

You could argue back and forth on the NEED forever.

Personally I would NEVER suggest programming added functions on regular lighting control buttons.

You want three SCENES to trigger on sing, double triple on a keypad, then sure, but all too often do a lot of that sort of thing just creates a situation that isn't very useful, as no-one can keep track of what all does what.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T do all kinds of things on button presses, but take care you don't overdo/over-complicate it, because the end result can be frustrating, which is the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

Right - I try to keep my lighting buttons on bindings.. otherwise, they tend to get too complicated and/or sluggish.

However, I originally had my "Music" buttons bound to the Room Control driver's PRESET_CYCLER function.  But, to achieve the functionality that I needed with LED's and the ability to use the button to join adjacent sessions, I had to convert the button to use programming.  This is just one example.  But yeah, I do agree with you about keeping lighting scenes as simple as possible.. otherwise, people tend to get frustrated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.