C4 Forums | Control4

Killing / Stopping an active session?

N8Ball

What is the best way to pragmatically stop an active session which happens to be playing in multiple rooms?

Specifically, someone in the house plays Pandora and puts it in 3-4 rooms, and inevitably all room's volumes are turns down...so no one knows that Pandora is actually playing.

We go to bed and the morning alarm radio doesn't work...because it sees that Pandora is already active and playing. 

I would like to shut down all active sessions at bedtime.

I believe I could generically just turn off all rooms...but that doesn't feel right. I feel like there should be access to Active Sessions, and simply kill the session...and that would stop playing in whatever rooms it's currently playing in. Am I thinking of this all wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

1: Room Control driver. Add all rooms to it (or whatever rooms you want)

2: Create an event in scheduler to execute at whatever time you want

3: program when that schedular event executes, turn off that room in the room control driver that you added all rooms to

Takes about 70 seconds

Thanks for the suggestion...I have the room control driver installed...but I still didn't think turning off a room was the right way as I wanted direct access to the active session. I think my computer science programming background is making my OCD go into overdrive.

6 minutes ago, JSTRONG said:

You said you wanted to "shut down all active sessions at bedtime" 

A session is just a room that is turned on and playing music or watching video. 

To turn off a session is to turn off a room

That makes sense. I was thinking of it more like a single Pandora stream that happens to be playing in N number of rooms...I wanted to simply cut the stream (cut the head off) and all rooms would stop playing...like how you can click the Power icon in the top right? on a touchscreen and simply kill the steam...which turns off the stream in all rooms.

But I can start thinking of it as you describe.

Thanks a ton

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to do something similar except from a button on a remote. I have a custom button that creates a session:

Select the channel..."..." in Kitchen

Add rooms 'Foyer, Living Room, ...

I'd like to turn this session off from the remote in the Living Room. If I turn off the kitchen (from where the session was originally created) then only the kitchen turns off, not the session nor other rooms that were added. 

Does the Room Control Driver do something to allow this?  Is there a good way to do it without the Room Control Driver?

My programming mind says that when the session is created that I should be able to stuff a session ID in to a variable and then for the button I would kill the session using what's in the variable to know the session ID to kill. But that doesn't appear to be the case w/ C4.

Thanks,

16 hours ago, TundraSonic said:

I'm trying to do something similar except from a button on a remote. I have a custom button that creates a session:

Select the channel..."..." in Kitchen

Add rooms 'Foyer, Living Room, ...

I'd like to turn this session off from the remote in the Living Room. If I turn off the kitchen (from where the session was originally created) then only the kitchen turns off, not the session nor other rooms that were added. 

Does the Room Control Driver do something to allow this?  Is there a good way to do it without the Room Control Driver?

My programming mind says that when the session is created that I should be able to stuff a session ID in to a variable and then for the button I would kill the session using what's in the variable to know the session ID to kill. But that doesn't appear to be the case w/ C4.

Thanks,

The room control driver is perfect for this.  You can assign multiple rooms to the room control driver then program a room off to that driver and it will kill any rooms assigned.  

5 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

The room control driver is perfect for this.  You can assign multiple rooms to the room control driver then program a room off to that driver and it will kill any rooms assigned.  

So C4 doesn't provide a native way to do this? Seems like a very basic function that should exist.  Thanks though.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, msgreenf said:

this is a native way....

Native in every programming environment I've ever worked in (and that's a lot since ENIAC 🙂 ) would be the 'create session' returning a Session ID that I'd use to kill that session later on.

🙂

Am I correct that this is a C4 driver (not a 3rd party) and that once installed I, a lowly homeowner, should be able to use it?

From a bit of reading it sounds like for multi-room stuff an instance of the driver must be installed and bound to those specific rooms and that this must be done by dealer and not by me? Or am I misunderstanding?

Is there a manual for it anywhere?  All I've found is a video in Spanish from Genesis Tech.

Thanks,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.