C4 Forums | Control4

Ios App slooooow to connect

jrdiandrea

Before the major update the app for ios was fantastic in regards to connection. Now, it looses connection frequently even when I keep it open and my iphone from going to sleep. This isn't idea as it drains battery, of course. However, if i wake the phone up it takes 5-7 seconds for the app to reconnect. Before, it would almost instantaneously reconnect. It was awesome.

Can we expect any improvement in this area? If so, when?

6 minutes ago, jrdiandrea said:

Before the major update the app for ios was fantastic in regards to connection. Now, it looses connection frequently even when I keep it open and my iphone from going to sleep. This isn't idea as it drains battery, of course. However, if i wake the phone up it takes 5-7 seconds for the app to reconnect. Before, it would almost instantaneously reconnect. It was awesome.

Can we expect any improvement in this area? If so, when?

the size of your project, networking and controller can all effect this. However 5-7 seconds is normal time to connect. The only really instance interfaces are the c4 touch screens

the size of your project, networking and controller can all effect this. However 5-7 seconds is normal time to connect. The only really instance interfaces are the c4 touch screens

All due respect, it was instantaneous with both my iPhone and iPad before the major update. No changes were made to my system. Only to the app and hardware software. No doubt it’s possible. No idea how complicated it might be.

Just now, jrdiandrea said:

I don’t keep track of system numbers but there was a major update to the controler around the same time the allnew app was released. That’s when the instantaneous connection went away.

New app new os and much more detailed app and more customization than before. your load times are on par with average.

1 minute ago, jrdiandrea said:

Oh, I understand it’s what most are experiencing. Are you suggesting that it’s impossible to improve upon?

not impossible a Faster wireless network may help. A faster controller may also help. Or control4 touch screens can provide instant access and much more

My network is blazing fast. Is there a faster processor that would deliver instantaneous app connection? I have to believe that the actual issue resides within the app. I had a remote before and won’t go down that path again. Can’t change battery when needed. And the new remotes are no different.

2 minutes ago, jrdiandrea said:

My network is blazing fast. Is there a faster processor that would deliver instantaneous app connection? I have to believe that the actual issue resides within the app. I had a remote before and won’t go down that path again. Can’t change battery when needed. And the new remotes are no different.

CA-10 is the fastest available.  OS 3 does not support the stay connected features, so it may be faster but may 3-4 seconds depending on your project.  Not sure what batteries you couldnt change on the SR remotes. The neeo i do not believe you can  change the battery as easily. If you want to use a touch screen for control i would suggest the c4 portable T3.

Ok, so it’s a specific feature that was not implemented or included in the new os3. I get it.

So I assume there are no plans to reintroduce this feature. I’m sure it would certainly be possible. But then if it was, I wouldn’t be forced to buy a C4 remote to get instantaneous connection. Really is disappointing.

1 minute ago, jrdiandrea said:

Ok, so it’s a specific feature that was not implemented or included in the new os3. I get it.

So I assume there are no plans to reintroduce this feature. I’m sure it would certainly be possible. But then if it was, I wouldn’t be forced to buy a C4 remote to get instantaneous connection. Really is disappointing.

Can always go back to the older OS. Control4 has announced nothing to bring it back.

21 minutes ago, jrdiandrea said:

All due respect, it was instantaneous with both my iPhone and iPad before the major update. No changes were made to my system. Only to the app and hardware software. No doubt it’s possible. No idea how complicated it might be.

Your talking about the very old and outdated looking OS2 mobile app vs the new up to date OS3 app. I agree the old app was a lot quicker to load but if a 5 second load is the price  to pay foe all the improvements with OS3 then i will live with it.

Your talking about the very old and outdated looking OS2 mobile app vs the new up to date OS3 app. I agree the old app was a lot quicker to load but if a 5 second load is the price  to pay foe all the improvements with OS3 then i will live with it.

I understand. I prefer the new. But why would they not include the instant connect feature? Maybe there’s a good reason. But I can only think of one and that’s to force the purchase of one of their remotes to get it. Frustrating.

12 minutes ago, jrdiandrea said:

I understand. I prefer the new. But why would they not include the instant connect feature? Maybe there’s a good reason. But I can only think of one and that’s to force the purchase of one of their remotes to get it. Frustrating.

Control4 sells plenty of devices with out having to resort to these type of tactics. It was likely a feature that saw little use, and with an entire re-do of the architecture of the app was likely not something Control4 wanted to invest time in having little impact on the users. This is my opinion 

you also have options to get this experience to get it back. Unfortunately this may not work for everyone.

It’s pretty noticeable if you have any experience buttons on the main screen of a room or an active audio session.  Both take significantly longer to finish populating once the room is loaded. It’s pretty bad from an end user perspective.  I use an iPad for about 90% of my control interactions when I’m not using voice control with the rest on a T3.

I’m considering buying a CA-10 and I’d be fine doing so if I knew that would be enough to overcome the noticeable sluggishness I’ve experienced since moving to OS 3.1.  It’s certainly not my wireless network (significantly improved); it has to be some combination of OS3 and the EA5.

5 hours ago, jfh said:

It’s pretty noticeable if you have any experience buttons on the main screen of a room or an active audio session.  Both take significantly longer to finish populating once the room is loaded. It’s pretty bad from an end user perspective.  I use an iPad for about 90% of my control interactions when I’m not using voice control with the rest on a T3.

I’m considering buying a CA-10 and I’d be fine doing so if I knew that would be enough to overcome the noticeable sluggishness I’ve experienced since moving to OS 3.1.  It’s certainly not my wireless network (significantly improved); it has to be some combination of OS3 and the EA5.

I’ve got a CA-10 and a massive project.  When on local WiFi, the app loads pretty much instantaneously.  Less than 2 seconds and no lag with experience buttons on the main screen.  This and the speed of refreshing navigators was the most noticeable improvement when we moved to a CA-10.

I can’t comment on the “normal” load speed on cellular as we have an issue with Control4 servers in our part of the world, which I am told (and really hope) will be fixed this quarter. My current load times are 20 plus seconds when on cellular and then I really see the Experience Button lag,

15 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

CA-10 is the fastest available.  OS 3 does not support the stay connected features, so it may be faster but may 3-4 seconds depending on your project.  Not sure what batteries you couldnt change on the SR remotes. The neeo i do not believe you can  change the battery as easily. If you want to use a touch screen for control i would suggest the c4 portable T3.

Os 3 with all its added features still has many bugs including this one. Some of us pay for 4sight subscription and still have to wait 45 to 60 seconds to populate  the screen which is thereafter extremely laggy. Remote usage of our control 4 system is non functional.

@jakblakwas looking into this.  

I am deeply disappointed with oS3.xx as I consider remote operation as a  core functionality for my purposes. 

I’ve got a CA-10 and a massive project.  When on local WiFi, the app loads pretty much instantaneously.  Less than 2 seconds and no lag with experience buttons on the main screen.  This and the speed of refreshing navigators was the most noticeable improvement when we moved to a CA-10.
I can’t comment on the “normal” load speed on cellular as we have an issue with Control4 servers in our part of the world, which I am told (and really hope) will be fixed this quarter. My current load times are 20 plus seconds when on cellular and then I really see the Experience Button lag,

Appreciate your feedback. That’s good to know. I’llspeak with my dealer to see if upgrading to a CA -10 makes sense for me.

2 hours ago, jrdiandrea said:

Appreciate your feedback. That’s good to know. I’llspeak with my dealer to see if upgrading to a CA -10 makes sense for me.

The biggest downside to a CA-10 is price with an MSRP of $4000. @South Africa C4 user does indeed have a massive project.  I have what is probably considered a very large project (haven’t counted recently but somewhere between 150-250 drivers) but it’s one that should run well on my EA5 (and did on OS2).  The CA-10 is supposedly able to handle thousands.  

I’m sure I would see an improvement with a CA-10 and very likely to get one because the lags just drive me crazy.  Turning off a dimmer and watching the slider bar stagger down to zero just drives me nuts.  But it’s ridiculous that I should have to even consider it when the problem is almost certainly more related to OS3 than the processing power of the EA5.  I’m still hesitating because if I get a CA-10 and my system isn’t just instantly snappy, I will be upset to have paid a lot of $ for a marginal improvement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.