C4 Forums | Control4

Choices for matrix and power amp

sabo888

Question

Fellow Control 4 experts, I am in the process of building my home and am convinced that Control 4 is necessary for my family's needs.  With that said, I currently have 8 zones of distributed audio but will be wiring for more future zones not to exceed 15.  With that said, what are less expensive options instead of the 24 zone Triad matrix that work well with Control 4?   Does JAP or VideoStorm have a product that is just as good?  This should also suffice for my amount of sources, but a 16 source option would probably work as well.  Thoughts???

Also, I am wondering on choices for a good power amp to push for my distributed audio system.  I have read that the Control 4, 8 zone power amp is not as good for it's price which I was quoted at 1700.00.

Last question, is it frowned upon if I purchase some of the equipment used and have my dealer install.  Thanks! 

2 answers to this question

The triad 24x24 is a great option. The older 16x16 doesn't have digital inputs which is a big drawback today. Its hard to recommend anything other than the 24x24 Triad for what you want.

If you really want to keep the budget in check just do 8 zones and get the 8 zone matrix amp. That's the most cost effective way of doing things.

The new Triad power amps are superb. I would highly recommend.

The older Control4 Power Amps were garbage but they have been discontinued. I doubt a dealer would be quoting those things today.

The matrix amps have always been and still are awesome

I hate when my customers go out and ebay used gear then make me guinea pig the install, but I have done it before. And I'm sure it won't be the last time.

I second the Triad matrix and amplifiers. They are a bit up there in price but the quality is amazing. This is something you are going to stick in a rack and forget. You want to aim for something high quality and will last as you will likely not need to upgrade for the foreseeable future. 

Not any cheaper alternatives that i can think of for the Matrix.

I would stray from the matrix amps if you want the most seamless integration later on when you have more than 8 zones.

As far as used gear i personally do not mind. As long as you understand install is by the hour no matter how long it takes, and there is zero warranty, any trouble shooting would be by the hour as well.

However there are literally hundreds of choices for multi channel amplifiers of the dumb variety. So im sure there is something for your budget if you do not need anything high quality. 

my suggestion if you are going to have 15 zones get 2 8 zone amps maybe 3 and use extra channels to power your surround sound system speakers. Internal amps in surround sound receivers suck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.