C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone Using ARC Baluns?

Time2Jet

Question

I realize this isn’t probably the best place to ask, but is anyone doing ARC back to a rack over balun successfully.

Samsung Q900 (2019) back to a Denon X8500. I couldn’t get it to work with my 2018 Q9FN to my previous Denon X3500. Proper cables, proper inputs/outputs. Just couldn’t get it to work. Haven’t tried with the current setup but would like to hear if anyone is having success so I can plan for either a rack or local install. It’s 90’ over Cat6a via AVPro EX100-444 balun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

The solution you're looking for is called "Roku" ;) 

Its a lot cheaper than that balun too

Already doing Roku. This is for a local TiVo Stream (not even released yet). I'm out of inputs on my matrix, wanted to install it local. Just wanted to see if anyone is doing ARC.  Mitch noted that C4 and ARC don't play well together, but I think that's more the CEC aspect and I have to check to see if both are dependent on a Samsung or the Denon for that matter.  Mitch might know.  He knows a lot about this.

In all honestly then your best bet is going to be something like this

https://www.xantech.com/product/audio-over-cat-cable-built-dac-XT-CAT-ARC-KIT

https://www.blustream.co.uk/cat100au

Hopefully you have a spare Cat5e back to the AVR from the TV. This will be your most solid and bulletproof solution within the C4 world.

46 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

In all honestly then your best bet is going to be something like this

https://www.xantech.com/product/audio-over-cat-cable-built-dac-XT-CAT-ARC-KIT

https://www.blustream.co.uk/cat100au

Hopefully you have a spare Cat5e back to the AVR from the TV. This will be your most solid and bulletproof solution within the C4 world.

I have a set of AVPro Edge AC-EX100-444 baluns with ARC.  But if I have to route the ARC through the TV and AVR, Control4 might not like that.

Well I mean if you already have the gear give it a go - it sometimes works.

C4 programming looks like this - Take the optical out out of the TV and bind it to the TV input on the Denon. Then set your Denon AVR settings so that the TV input on the Denon uses the ARC and not optical. 

Then as far as C4 knows its got a good audio connection and in the C4 world it knows nothing about the ARC.

Once again you may experience issues from time to time, it won't be bulletproof, but it should work 95+% of the time.

Full Send

I realize this isn’t probably the best place to ask, but is anyone doing ARC back to a rack over balun successfully.

Samsung Q900 (2019) back to a Denon X8500. I couldn’t get it to work with my 2018 Q9FN to my previous Denon X3500. Proper cables, proper inputs/outputs. Just couldn’t get it to work. Haven’t tried with the current setup but would like to hear if anyone is having success so I can plan for either a rack or local install. It’s 90’ over Cat6a via AVPro EX100-444 balun.

I have that balun and found HDMI
Audio flaky from my LG. I changed it to to take optical from the tv and send back to the receiver via the dip switches - works perfectly.

The AVPro Edge AC-EX100-444 also have optical inputs and outputs on them for audio return, why not just use those and avoid the headache of trying to get ARC and anything else that involves having CEC turned on to work reliably.

Won’t do all of the audio formats I want. @Matt Lowe has it all working with a similar setup to mine, gives me hope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.