C4 Forums | Control4

New User - Not a Pro...

I have had my Control4 system for about a year and like clock work something happens that requires a tech to come out. For example, Apple changed its codes so the remote no longer directed the functions on the apple TV. Recently, our main tv video input stopped working, no picture for Direct TV, Apple TV or PS4 and now my tech wants to start charging me for such a visit. Is this the way it works? I am beholden to a system I have no control over and have to get nickled and dimmed every time the Control 4 drops a connection or......

This is especially difficult for me because I consider my self tech savvy and have also way maintained on own HT set up and some every complex home audio set ups...always trouble shooting for myself and always finding the issue...

Are there typically steps you can do your self before reaching out to the tech? i.e. "did you turn your computer off and on again...."

Any input or comments welcome...

you are not beholden to do anything. You do have tools like composer home edition to do some basic trouble shooting. What you will want to know is how your devices are controlled. Likely you are using ip controlled devices. So the very most basic thing to start with is ping each device and see if they are responding.  then switch to using their respective apps as many ip controlled devices have accompanying apps. if the apps or the ping do not work then you know which device it is and you can continue trouble shooting. Also your relationship with your dealer is important if you are not happy with their performance i would highly encourage looking for another dealer as the system will only perform as well as the person programming. Apple changing their api there is nothing you can do about that unfortunately and that would be an issue for any system. Keep in mind if you have a good system when it does preform I personally do not think there is a better automation system out there.

Welcome to the world of Control4. You can get ComposerHE that allows you to do some programming. You cannot add drivers or change bindings (need Pro for that). My last dealer (who went bankrupt and is in jail now for drugs) is still a control4 dealer but non-dealers are not able to get Pro. He was selling Pro access so I had it for a while and even took all the courses on the dealer site and learned a lot from the dealer forums. Amazing what the system can do when you have Pro. The things I added to my house were awesome. Even subsequent dealers asked how I did some of the programming. I hope the upgrades are slow because the new CA law removed my ability to upgrade. oh well still love control4 and no other system works as well or is as programmable. 

i live in Cleveland and we have no dealers that are good. I have had to use remote dealers from this site who are great and reasonable. But say you want to change the hdmi of your Apple TV. It takes a millisecond to change the bindings on Pro. It is impossible with HE. Again, Welcome to Control4. You have to use a dealer. Anyone need a trained tech on their staff PM me!

Most service calls are not due to the programming magically breaking or no longer working.

The Apple TV thing sucked and that was Apple's fault. There was ALOT of service calls when apple broke the IP integration. This affected everyone.

Chances are something needed to be rebooted to get it working again. You should be able to take care of things like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.