C4 Forums | Control4

Driver and OS Versions - Best practice to Routinely Update?

Don Cohen

I am currently on 3.1.0, with everything running well.

I am now considering 3.1.2 to keep 'up to date' and take advantage of some improvements with my DS2 Mini Video access via T3 and Android Phones.  I learned that in order to do that, I would have to update any current drivers for which there are newer versions available.  There are perhaps 5 or 6 of those in my home.

It brings up the question I have often wondered about: is it a 'Best Practice' to routinely update any and all drivers when they become available?  As we all know, at least in the world of PC's, Android Apps, etc., updates sometimes fix some problems while creating others.  Many therefore a policy of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' unless there is a particular issue being addressed that is an active problem.

It isn't clear to me if this cautious approach is appropriate with Control4, which is certainly a more controlled and well defined environment (relatively speaking, at least).  And does this approach apply to both individual Drivers, as well as overall OS upgrades?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Don Cohen said:

I am currently on 3.1.0, with everything running well.

I am now considering 3.1.2 to keep 'up to date' and take advantage of some improvements with my DS2 Mini Video access via T3 and Android Phones.  I learned that in order to do that, I would have to update any current drivers for which there are newer versions available.  There are perhaps 5 or 6 of those in my home.

It brings up the question I have often wondered about: is it a 'Best Practice' to routinely update any and all drivers when they become available?  As we all know, at least in the world of PC's, Android Apps, etc., updates sometimes fix some problems while creating others.  Many therefore a policy of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' unless there is a particular issue being addressed that is an active problem.

It isn't clear to me if this cautious approach is appropriate with Control4, which is certainly a more controlled and well defined environment (relatively speaking, at least).  And does this approach apply to both individual Drivers, as well as overall OS upgrades?

Thoughts?

To me, if your system works, you do not always have to chase the latest update.  If the release notes are clearly going to a fix a major bug for you, sure jump in earlier.  Otherwise, if I am going to update I usually wait weeks for the release and see what people on the forum say + the feedback from my dealer.

Personally I do not recall ever contacting my dealer just to update my OS.  Usually I am having some hardware added, or need their help with some complex programming or binding or something, and as long as they are logged in I’ll OK the update.

Just know the release notes - back in the day I lost control of my Holovision/VIO doorstation because an OS upgrade killed an old and non supported Houselogix driver because C4 changed the SIP proxy.  I try to review the release notes as well with a fine too comb to make sure I will not have any major drivers go belly up.

Thanks for the reply and advice, eggzlot - makes sense.  I do look at the 'fine print' and release notes, to look for any potential 'gotcha's'.

My situation is a bit unusual in that as I am working for a Dealer (second career for me, after retiring from my first), using my home for local demos of the technology, I have been learning over time to manage my own system.  This forum has been an extremely useful resource to accelerate my learning curve.

Since 3.1.2 seems to offer some potential improvement with my DS2 Mini (which of everything installed, has given me the least satisfaction and most frustration), I'm inclined to go ahead with the OS update.  And since this apparently necessitates updating a few other current drivers, thought I'd get a little more feedback here before proceeding.

7 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

What are the supposed improvements to the DS2 Mini?

From the Release Notes (not DS2 specific, but relevant as it's a camera source):

The Cameras page has been updated as part of OS 3.1.2 to quickly deliver thumbnails to the camera view. A homeowner will enjoy prompt thumbnails and an improved experience on all T3 and Android mobile devices.

CI-9854 - The whole image for thumbnails is not being displayed on the on-screen display

CI-3886 - T3 touch screen: Camera view is sluggish when scrolling

CI-8428 - On-Screen Display: Camera grid view is not initialized when exiting Camera view

There is also new DS2 firmware, Driver-related, not 3.1.2 related.  Mainly a password issue, but there's always the (unlikely) hope that perhaps a refresh might improve things.

So nothing huge.

rule of thumb is update if you need the new features or bug fixes. Most of them are fairly harmless to do but an OS update with a power loss at the wrong time could mean the end of your controller and loss of your project if not properly backed up.

Any thing related to a major security issue control4 can push updates remotely.

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

rule of thumb is update if you need the new features or bug fixes. Most of them are fairly harmless to do but an OS update with a power loss at the wrong time could mean the end of your controller and loss of your project if not properly backed up.

Any thing related to a major security issue control4 can push updates remotely.

Appreciate the reply and advice, Matt.

I would always do a backup, labeling it as such, before an OS update, so hopefully that would give me some protection.

And to be honest, I'm also tempted to see these as a learning experience, which is part of how and why I enjoy this stuff.  Problems and unexpected results can be quite frustrating, but I do end up knowing a lot more afterwards, with pretty much any technology!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.