C4 Forums | Control4

Setting up XBOX to Control4 System

I  just recently got an XBOX and I am having trouble finding out how to connect it to my TV thats controlled by control4. Since this system doesnt require a cable box or plugs in's, Im not sure how to set up my xbox to the whole system. Does anyone know how to do this, and if so, please include detailed thorough instructions so I can figure it out. Thanks!

6 hours ago, JSTRONG said:

Control4 cannot control your Xbox. You can use an Xbox source button driver to turn your tv on and switch to the Xbox input. 

yes control4 can control xbox360, xbox one. 

Why does RTI have full IP control over Xbox One and no one will develop the same for Xbox one? If no IP driver is made for the x series, then this forum should consider crowd funding one. Well at least those who wish...

link to rti driver... ugh. So jealous. Last IR connection in my project and I use the EA-3’s blaster... lol

https://www.mydevice.com.au/component/virtuemart/rti-drivers/gaming-consoles/xbox-one-power-detail?Itemid=138

not only is this freeware, but it senses variables and power state changes and also a full keyboard seems to be possible through the use of another driver on same site. 

any way one could buy a RTI processor and push commands from c4? Prob never get the keyboard or variables and what not...

Thoughts?! 

1 hour ago, BuffaloC4 said:

Why does RTI have full IP control over Xbox One

Thoughts? The only thing that driver does is power on and sense power. No control over interface whatsoever.

Assuming it still works, no idea on that - it's been around for a long time.

The power portion of the SmartGlass protocol does not require any encryption. It's actually quite simple and there's a github repository in Python that will let you power on the Xbox. The funny part is the off command is encrypted, so you can only easily power it on, not off.

All that being said there is documentation on SmartGlass but last I looked it would be a serious amount of work to implement into Control4.

• 4 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 11:01 AM, Cyknight said:

Thoughts? The only thing that driver does is power on and sense power. No control over interface whatsoever.

Assuming it still works, no idea on that - it's been around for a long time.

I believe it has been down for over a year or 2 because of a Xbox update broke it. I have done RTI for 7 years now had it on my own but stopped working.  it was nice to trigger on or off the system

• 2 months later...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/11/02/apple-tv-and-favorite-streaming-apps-available-at-launch/

I don’t have any experience with Xbox but with all these streaming apps and the 299 price point for the Xbox S. This is looking like a nice box for someone like me who might play a game or 2 every once and awhile but would use it daily for streaming.

Is there any way Charlie Kindel could talk to someone at Microsoft to get Control4 access to be able to control this?

On 11/8/2020 at 10:43 PM, therockhr said:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/11/02/apple-tv-and-favorite-streaming-apps-available-at-launch/

I don’t have any experience with Xbox but with all these streaming apps and the 299 price point for the Xbox S. This is looking like a nice box for someone like me who might play a game or 2 every once and awhile but would use it daily for streaming.

Is there any way Charlie Kindel could talk to someone at Microsoft to get Control4 access to be able to control this?

His answer would be....

We just collaborated with Amazon on full control of their $49 stick. It doesn't get any easier or cheaper than that.

(Of course assuming the driver gets re-released and works as advertised)

2 hours ago, RAV said:

His answer would be....

We just collaborated with Amazon on full control of their $49 stick. It doesn't get any easier or cheaper than that.

(Of course assuming the driver gets re-released and works as advertised)

Not to mention there is another box at a similar price that also does all this that has been around for ages.....

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Not to mention there is another box at a similar price that also does all this that has been around for ages.....

So since they already have a driver for product X, they dont need to make a driver for product Y? Seems odd.

Look, I like Roku. I have a few of them. It works perfect but if I decided to get a Xbox, it would be nice if Control4 could integrate it properly.

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

So since they already have a driver for product X, they dont need to make a driver for product Y? Seems odd.

Look, I like Roku. I have a few of them. It works perfect but if I decided to get a Xbox, it would be nice if Control4 could integrate it properly.

Sure it would be nice.

But how many Xbox sales is Microsoft going to loose because it doesn't have a Control4 driver? Not even one.

5 hours ago, RAV said:

Sure it would be nice.

But how many Xbox sales is Microsoft going to loose because it doesn't have a Control4 driver? Not even one.

The onus should be on Control4 to reach out to Microsoft not vice versa. Integration is Control4’s business. Since one of the head guys is a former employee of Microsoft that worked in the Media Center division it would make sense for him to reach out I would think  

While Microsoft wouldn’t lose or gain any sales of Xbox, it would be nice for Control4 to show off that they have that integration.

10 hours ago, therockhr said:

The onus should be on Control4 to reach out to Microsoft not vice versa. Integration is Control4’s business. Since one of the head guys is a former employee of Microsoft that worked in the Media Center division it would make sense for him to reach out I would think  

While Microsoft wouldn’t lose or gain any sales of Xbox, it would be nice for Control4 to show off that they have that integration.

Who says they haven't?  

I just don't see a company building one of the most powerful processing machines to have any API. They're going to want that thing locked down.

Frankly I'm surprised either is doing any streaming services, anybody spending $500 on a gaming machine, is more than likely going to have other ways already to stream internet content.

21 hours ago, therockhr said:

Of course not, that's why there are drivers for A to W as well.

But Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have never been cooperative on their gaming machines to have APIs available (closed or open) - Sony has resisted even having IR available.

IF Microsoft is indeed aiming to be more of a media centre than a gaming system, maybe they will indeed have, create and work together on an open API.

I SERIOUSLY wonder how many people even really used their XBox for using Netflix etc - in an age where media streaming is built into TVs and available with a nicer interface than either TVs or Xbox for prices as low as they are.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.