C4 Forums | Control4

Photo Organizer and Display

windandsolar1

Question

I have recently started archiving all my photos to digital and I'm looking for a way to retrieve them using keywords assigned to each photo.  For example- display all photos that have Pete (the dog) in them. etc. 

Hardware: I am using an EA5 that has a QNAP NAS attached.  Video distribution is via Just Add Power to 8 TV's throughout the house.  Primary UI is wall mounted iPads along with NEEO remotes, android phones and Apple phones.

I'm not sure what additional information would be helpful to get advice from this awesome forum; just let me know if you need any additional information to make a recommendation.  

Thanks in advance!

11 answers to this question

I have been giving this a bit more thought....

Likely what I will do is have a Chromebox (or similar) access the Qnap photo folder.  I will feed the HDMI of the Chromebox to a Just Add Power transmitter and that will be another video source just like anything else.  

Quoted from OP- "I have recently started archiving all my photos to digital and I'm looking for a way to retrieve them using keywords assigned to each photo.  For example- display all photos that have Pete (the dog) in them. etc. "

The QNAP NAS stores all of my music, videos/movies, and now my photos (over 2000).  There is a built in HDMI port on the QNAP that currently has a Just Add Power transmitter connected to it.  That port is dedicated to streaming videos/movies.  Therefore I need another device (Chromebook) that can run software/application that is intelligent enough to search the keywords associated with a photo and display on the HDMI.

As said previously- just looking for a way to show photos on a TV/Display using an intelligent search. 

Here is a use case to help clarify:

• Hey, remember the trip to Kentucky back in 2005?
  • Ya, I have some pictures, want to see them?
  • Hold on for a minute while I look through 2000+ file names looking for them.
  • (1.5 hours later) Hey, I found them.......

A better way.....

• Hold on for a minute, (I type Kentucky and I type 2005 as keywords)
  • Boom... I have 23 pictures to show you of that trip.

Hopefully you have a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. I know this is something that C4 does not have the ability to do (not even close) but was just trying to leverage the brain power on this forum to see if someone had some magic to share.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, windandsolar1 said:

Quoted from OP- "I have recently started archiving all my photos to digital and I'm looking for a way to retrieve them using keywords assigned to each photo.  For example- display all photos that have Pete (the dog) in them. etc. "

The QNAP NAS stores all of my music, videos/movies, and now my photos (over 2000).  There is a built in HDMI port on the QNAP that currently has a Just Add Power transmitter connected to it.  That port is dedicated to streaming videos/movies.  Therefore I need another device (Chromebook) that can run software/application that is intelligent enough to search the keywords associated with a photo and display on the HDMI.

As said previously- just looking for a way to show photos on a TV/Display using an intelligent search. 

A better way.....

Hopefully you have a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. I know this is something that C4 does not have the ability to do (not even close) but was just trying to leverage the brain power on this forum to see if someone had some magic to share.

Thanks!

Qnap have an app?  Synology has a photo app.  Maybe you can cast it?  Though I have a synology I also host my photos at smugmug. Smugmug can be cast.  Is casting an option?

A better way.....
Thanks!

I use Plex+Roku+Chowmain Driver.
It works great for the family videos and photos.

If you have an AppleTV or FireTV. Add the Photo Station App on the QNAP. Put QMedia on an AppleTV. Should be everything you are looking for. Lots of cool features in there for photographers, which will be what you want.

Here is a link to a QNAP video that discusses some Video, photo and music capabilities. You can skip over to the Photo Station section (just before 18 minutes).

I use this set up on a Samsung Frame to display pics of the family. Just have an “album” on the QNAP and the QMedia continuously cycles through whatever is in that “album”. Result is a giant 4K digital frame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.