C4 Forums | Control4

LG - TV - Question

Hi all,

So I got a 86" LG TV - Great TV. The default C4 Driver seems to work well. I have a question on the "mini drivers" for the applications you can install.  I installed and connected all the ones I found in the 2186 drivers in composer. 

The question is around what about the other apps on the LG TV that there is no mini driver for in composer. Is there a way to link them as there are many Mini App connections available but don't know how to connect the other apps to it. Any suggestions?

I have no idea if this is available, or would with with your LG, but I have a Sony XBR 900E series TV, using an IP Driver to control it.  The Driver had several mini drivers for some apps, but not for all of them.

I searched and found Universal Drivers for what I needed (Acorn, CBS All Access, Disney+, etc.) and using the 'Bravia App Selector' was able to add these, and Connect them to any of the 15 available channels.  I can access them in a Navigator, and also created Amazon voice scenes for them.  So I can just tell Alexa to 'Turn on Disney+', or whatever app I want, and it loads. For me, much easier than grabbing a navigator.

Again, LG might not allow this functionality, but it works well with Sony.

ETA: I had another look here, since it had been a while since I set this up, and for the Sony TV, I used the "Bravia App Selector Driver" - adding one for each App I wanted to access.  The instructions for the procedure are specified in the Driver.  I did *not* use the Universal Drivers in this case - it was the App Selector Driver, which was then customized to access the App already installed on the TV.

I did use the Universal Drivers when I added these Apps to the Roku in my Theater Room - so Mitch seems to be correct that the Universal Drivers can be used with Roku, but not with, for example, a Sony, or likely LG, TV.

Just wanted to correct my faulty recollection of how I set this up.

5 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

I have no idea if this is available, or would with with your LG, but I have a Sony XBR 900E series TV, using an IP Driver to control it.  The Driver had several mini drivers for some apps, but not for all of them.

I searched and found Universal Drivers for what I needed (Acorn, CBS All Access, Disney+, etc.) and using the 'Bravia App Selector' was able to add these, and Connect them to any of the 15 available channels.  I can access them in a Navigator, and also created Amazon voice scenes for them.  So I can just tell Alexa to 'Turn on Disney+', or whatever app I want, and it loads. For me, much easier than grabbing a navigator.

Again, LG might not allow this functionality, but it works well with Sony.

I have a Sony 900E as well. I’d like to add the Disney+ mini driver. Is this something I can do with Composer HE, or do I need my dealer to add it?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Dealer but pretty sure only Disney plus driver for Roku

See my post above - I added the Universal Disney+ Driver, and using the Bravia App Selector, was able to Connect this to my Sony 900E TV.  Same for a few others: Acorn, CBS All Access).

1 hour ago, dinom said:

I have a Sony 900E as well. I’d like to add the Disney+ mini driver. Is this something I can do with Composer HE, or do I need my dealer to add it?

Thanks 

As Mitch indicated above, since it involves adding a Driver, and establishing a Connection, this is a dealer function.  Actually that's a guess on my part, since I haven't played with HE, but if Mitch says that's the way it is, that's good enough for me.

9 hours ago, ecschnei said:

I thought annex4 said they could build any mini driver someone wanted

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You can now modify or build your own universal mini drivers here: https://mdc.rjboucher.com

There's a few 'source' options for things like the annex4 LG and Panasonic driver, but as of the latest push it will do universal mini drivers as well.

There's also a field for entering Vizio Application ID's for the universal mini drivers as support for mini drivers will be available with the annex4 Vizio driver soon.

6 hours ago, TheWizard said:

You can now modify or build your own universal mini drivers here: https://mdc.rjboucher.com

There's a few 'source' options for things like the annex4 LG and Panasonic driver, but as of the latest push it will do universal mini drivers as well.

There's also a field for entering Vizio Application ID's for the universal mini drivers as support for mini drivers will be available with the annex4 Vizio driver soon.

Just a few questions on the link.

You create the mini driver and download. It downloads a  few files. Do I need to open it in DriverWorks and compile it to a .c4 driver file before I can use it?

3 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Just a few questions on the link.

You create the mini driver and download. It downloads a  few files. Do I need to open it in DriverWorks and compile it to a .c4 driver file before I can use it?

Clicking download should give you a single .c4z file which is the mini driver.

Changing the source field will change which driver the mini driver will work for. The WebOS option will build a driver for the annex4 LG WebOS driver. Viera will do the annex4 Panasonic Viera driver and universal will build a universal mini driver. You can upload existing universal mini drivers to add or change application ID values as well.

Thank you. What its doing now is its giving a zip file in the zip file is the driver.xml, lua file, www folder with the images. No driver file.

For the application id I am specifying the “com.” that Display Apps action button gives me. That correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Thank you. What its doing now is its giving a zip file in the zip file is the driver.xml, lua file, www folder with the images. No driver file.

For the application id I am specifying the “com.” that Display Apps action button gives me. That correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, you can also launch the application on the TV and then look at the Application ID property in the driver. It should always tell you the ID of the active foreground application.

I've reproduced the '.zip' issue on my android device, it's not happening with my desktop (windows). But msgreenf is right the file is just a zip, cut out all the extensions at the end (my android device is showing '<name>.c4z.zip') and just make the extension .c4z and you should be good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.