C4 Forums | Control4

Araknis vs Ruckus WAP

Hi,

Currently have two Araknis AP-700 access points in a 3500 sq ft house.  One upstairs, one downstairs.  Have a couple of dead spots downstairs that have been pretty persistent over the last two years.  5GHz and 2.4Ghz networks are both affected in one particular spot.  Doesn't appear to be congestion, more a quirk of the way the building is laid out.  Thinking of changing at least one access point out for a Ruckus 510 or 710.  Questions :

1. Change one or change both ?
  2. If I only change one, what about handoffs between upstairs and downstairs ?
  3. Which Ruckus model ?
  4. Anything obvious that I'm missing in finding a fix ?

36 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

I've used Ubiquiti plenty of times in other situations.  Many people on here have raved about the coverage that Ruckus gear provides, hence the question.

Understood, but at unnecessary cost. I have used Rukus in several installs in the past...at least half of my projects are larger than 3500 sqft. Glad the focus is on good gear either way. 

9 hours ago, AVNeeds said:

Buy Ubiquity for a fraction of the price and enjoy a better product. 

And how is UBNT a better product to Ruckus?

Or better yet, cheaper?  Yes they have cheap APs with cheap performance   But if you want the same level Ruckus supplies, you’re buying their most expensive AP’s anyways plus all the other crap that comes with UBNT  

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Or better yet, cheaper?  Yes they have cheap APs with cheap performance   But if you want the same level Ruckus supplies, you’re buying their most expensive AP’s anyways plus all the other crap that comes with UBNT  

Wow, but how do you really feel about Ubiquiti 😂

On 3/31/2020 at 8:33 AM, lippavisual said:

Their sub $300 APs out perform Rukus $1000+ APs.

It sounds like UBNT was above your head. I would love to hear about the "crap"... 

Their sub $300 APs out perform Rukus $1000+ APs.
It sounds like UBNT was above your head. I would love to hear about the "crap"... 
Where is the PROOF that UB outperforms Ruckus? I've installed both and haven't seen proof of that that at all. Not asking about anecdotes; rather, actual published unbiased test reviews.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, casperspooks said:

Where is the PROOF that UB outperforms Ruckus? I've installed both and haven't seen proof of that that at all. Not asking about anecdotes; rather, actual published unbiased test reviews.

Sent using Tapatalk

https://alethea.in/wifi-performance-benchmark-testing-class-room-environment/

I'm sure there are others showing different results. In the end, for home users the cost of "enterprise" HW probably doesn't make sense, especially if you need recurring licenses and/or support.

https://alethea.in/wifi-performance-benchmark-testing-class-room-environment/
I'm sure there are others showing different results. In the end, for home users the cost of "enterprise" HW probably doesn't make sense, especially if you need recurring licenses and/or support.
That's a test sponsored by Ubiquiti...
Ruckus Unleashed doesn't require ongoing licensing, etc.

Sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, casperspooks said:

That's a test sponsored by Ubiquiti...
Ruckus Unleashed doesn't require ongoing licensing, etc.

Sent using Tapatalk

And you're probably a Rukus dealer.....

Ubiquiti was not involved with the definition of test cases, planning, device configuration, execution or analysis of results. All these tasks were independently undertaken by Alethea. 

Have extensive experience installing Ub, Ruckus, Araknis, and Zyxel in residential environments over the years and Ruckus has provided not only the best performance but the best reliability over all the others. I don't care who the manufacturer is, it just has to deliver reliable good performance over the LONG run; not just a couple of years. Ruckus has been the only one to do that. Do what works best for your business AND clients.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, casperspooks said:

Have extensive experience installing Ub, Ruckus, Araknis, and Zyxel in residential environments over the years and Ruckus has provided not only the best performance but the best reliability over all the others. I don't care who the manufacturer is, it just has to deliver reliable good performance over the LONG run; not just a couple of years. Ruckus has been the only one to do that. Do what works best for your business AND clients.

I do whats best for my clients specially first before my "business" because clients are my business. I have extensive experience with these to in residential and commercial environments for more than just a couple of years. I do whats best for my clients by providing top performing networks that aren't extremely overpriced. 

On 3/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, OceanDad said:

Hi,

Currently have two Araknis AP-700 access points in a 3500 sq ft house.  One upstairs, one downstairs.  Have a couple of dead spots downstairs that have been pretty persistent over the last two years.  5GHz and 2.4Ghz networks are both affected in one particular spot.  Doesn't appear to be congestion, more a quirk of the way the building is laid out.  Thinking of changing at least one access point out for a Ruckus 510 or 710.  Questions :

1. Change one or change both ?
  2. If I only change one, what about handoffs between upstairs and downstairs ?
  3. Which Ruckus model ?
  4. Anything obvious that I'm missing in finding a fix ?

So - on a statistically insignificant poll of 1 installation - Ruckus beats Araknis by a mile.  I replaced the two ceiling mounted Araknis AP700's with one Ruckus R710 and one R610.  Same location.  One on each floor of a two floor 3500 sq ft home.

All dead spots are gone, and speeds are blazing.  300/300 FIOS into the house, and I'm getting a minimum of 200/200 over the wi-fi to a wide variety of devices.  Some devices are getting the full 300/300.  Installed the latest Unleashed software to the Ruckus AP's out of the box, and configuration was simple.

My only criticism is the mounting design for a ceiling mount.  Not the greatest - needs a proper bracket for a standard drywall ceiling.  That aside, I'm hugely impressed.

i havent played with ruckus, but i hear good things from those that know how to configure them, i played with ubuiquity and while they have a wap for just about everytype of install they do work well  if they are properly configured, i also notice you need more ubuiquity waps to fill the dead spots and have complkete coverage, but again, you have to have a company that knows ubuiquity in and out because there tech support is online only. i do araknis all the time, and while i find araknis waps have a large coverage area with 700 and 500 series the roaming is not good since they removed the RSSI settings. the 810 and 510 are faster than the 500,700 series, but do not reach as far so normally a house with 2 700 will now need 3 of the 510 or 810, but speeds are blazing fast, agaim roaming is bad . i have used the luxul 1510 with controller, the speeds are good, more in range of the ubuiquity, but araknis will be faster. the roaming will be much better than ubuiquity or araknis. im torn i have all 700 in my home, all set up with a metageek analyzer and set up properly, my speeds are amazing, however the roaming is not great. i had in my home luxul and while the roaming was nearly perfect i was not happy with the luxul1510 speeds. im torn, but i did go back to araknis. in our clients house if we do control4 we install araknis, if we do urc total control we do luxul.  thing is that i find is you can either chose speed, or reliable roaming. i havent tried ruckus yet, but thats on my to do list

I also found the roaming really unreliable on the Araknis WAP's.  I also have an outdoor Araknis WAP on the roof, and ended up giving it a different SSID.  Could never get roaming to work properly on and off that.

Really pleased with the Ruckus gear so far.  Has eliminated all the dead spots, which is helpful with everyone locked down at home, kids on Zoom etc.

Another point many businesses don't take into consideration is the initial cost savings can quickly be diminished when you have to waste valuable time addressing issues with service calls for less reliable and/or poorly performing products. When the budget allows it pays to do it right the first time with Ruckus.

Sent using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.