C4 Forums | Control4

room divisions

bkrause

All,

I have a open floor plan in my home and I have a question on how to divide that space into control4 rooms. My delaer and I agreed set this area up as three rooms to accomodiate the speaker settings. All three rooms use the same TV and the rooms are primarily for speaker control. The three rooms are

Living room Front

Living Room

Kitchen

CUrrently we use the handheld remote for this area and we are constantly changing rooms to change speakers.

Does anybody know how I combine these three rooms and still enable us to select the set of speakers we wanh to use?

Thank you for your assistance

Doesn't that really depend on how those speakers are arranged on your amp (for automated operation)? Let me back-up a bit. If the spaces are contiguous and you need to only activate the set you are nearest to, you could install attenuators and fire up just one zone and kill-off the other two sets of speakers manually.

He is talking about putting volumne controls "inline", this does not help you in your situation, could you stretch and get a 6 button keypad?

I can think of a great solution with one more 6 button pad.

Brent

I guess I really didn't understand why you would want distinct zones so close to one another so I recommended just one zone with volume knobs. Well, if that's what you want then I agree with the 6B routine above. I do some outdoor speaker shuffling with a 6B and it works well for shifting music away from neighbors that happen to be near one of the three outdoor zones.

Dogdvr Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I can get another six button, but I hope there is there also a solution that would enable me to use the handheld remote as well?

Controlfouruserguy for a similar reason as your solution, to reduce volume level for people that are doing something else.

Thanks for your feedback

bkrause,

the remote does not have enough "free buttons" to do what you want, the remote will make you switch rooms.

there is no way around this(without complexity).

I seriously recommend a 6 button keypad

Cheers,

Brent

Edit to add

I will not do remote installs or sales, but please contact Cody(codeman on this board)

He will take care of you

Codeman,

He has three rooms already hooked up, but he wants to control them seperatly.

As you know each room has and end point, but if we use a media scene to turn them on, then we can have the six button controll the volume in each zone.

He is looking for an easy solution to allow him to control the volumne in each zone(room) while they are all activated

Brent

To help explain the full reasons for my question.

I have an open floor plan and think of a long open area with three sitting areas with ONE TV on one end. If the family is playing v-games or net-surfing (TV is monitor) we use the Living room front speakers. IF we are settled in for a movie we use the Living room speakers (back over 10' from the screen), Then in the am or when cooking we have the kitchen speakers on. Finally at parties we will have all of the speakers on (KC Cheifs Football, NASCAR, or Pandora from the PC). Additionally,, the TV backs to a bedroom wall and in the evening / at niight we need to keep the Living room speakers off. We control this set up primarilty with one handheld remote. We do have a 10" screen in the kitchen but we do not move it to the Living Room

With this set up we will turn on the TV in one area then move to another area (Prep dinner then movie or games). So we will trun on the TV in the kitchen then as we move into the living room for the evening go through the following.

Change the lremote to one of the living rooms

Turn on the TV to the same channel as we were watching in the Kitchen

CHange the remote to the kitchen

turn off the TV in the kitchen (only turns off the speakers not the TV)

Change the room to the desired living room

I would like to be able to use the handheld remote to turn on and off the speakers and control the volume on the active speakers with out having to change the rooms. THe 6 button is a good idea, however, I am still hopeful there is a handheld remote solution.

Sorry I did not explain this well initially, I appreciate your assistance.

You could just get the Card Access Mini Remote. Its basically a six-button keypad that is wireless. This way you could have one button to "toggle" through rooms and the other buttons to control power and volume.

I think this would be much better for you than using the system remote. We don't have the functionality to force the remote to jump/change pages through programming yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Zone Groups

Has this been addressed elsewhere? I did a search - but maybe used the incorrect words. I have 14 zones for music. I am constantly "adding" zones when I listen in different areas of the house - however - the zones need to exist as discreet areas for a variety of reasons. Des anyone have experience with the C4 Zone interface creating groups? For instance my Outside Zone 1 would be Backyard, Patio and Front Porch, whereas Outside Zone 2 would be Backyard, Patio, Front Porch, Deck and Garage. I have about six different configurations I would like to program (or have programmed) that have the same zones in some of them but not in all of them. I hope this makes sense.

Zone Groups

Has this been addressed elsewhere? I did a search - but maybe used the incorrect words. I have 14 zones for music. I am constantly "adding" zones when I listen in different areas of the house - however - the zones need to exist as discreet areas for a variety of reasons. Des anyone have experience with the C4 Zone interface creating groups? For instance my Outside Zone 1 would be Backyard, Patio and Front Porch, whereas Outside Zone 2 would be Backyard, Patio, Front Porch, Deck and Garage. I have about six different configurations I would like to program (or have programmed) that have the same zones in some of them but not in all of them. I hope this makes sense.

There is no "Zone Groups" in Control 4. It is a great idea.

The only option I can think of has already been mentioned and that is to use custom buttons to manually add rooms to a zone.

Thanks for the quick response Another question - and media scenes may be the answer here as well. We watch a lot of our tv/video on a 7' screen in the sunken family room - that is visible from the kitchen and the study. I would like to add the audio from the tv to one or both of these additional rooms so it doesn't have to be so loud in the family room to hear it 30' away in my study. The image is > life size of watching it from my desk or the kitchen island is no problem.

Thanks for the input.

Archived