C4 Forums | Control4

Neeo Issues

Hi all,

I have seen this thread, and it is essential to us that we want to address this problem at the origin. To improve this, we are happy if someone can share the technical data with us.
Who uses a Ubiquiti router with the Neeo Remote and has problems? Which FW have you installed on the Ubiquiti router? Is this the latest firmware? This helps us so that we can reproduce the error in our laboratory.

10 hours ago, Sandro said:

Hi all,

I have seen this thread, and it is essential to us that we want to address this problem at the origin. To improve this, we are happy if someone can share the technical data with us.
Who uses a Ubiquiti router with the Neeo Remote and has problems? Which FW have you installed on the Ubiquiti router? Is this the latest firmware? This helps us so that we can reproduce the error in our laboratory.

No longer think it is just Ubiquiti. Took this second remote to another home with commercial grade Wi-Fi (rukus etc) and he’s the remote next to another which was installed by Pinnacle C4 dealer. The Neeo on the left was the replacement I received. Notice it is trying to connect (was this way, spinning, for over 30 seconds) and reading low Wi-Fi while other next to it has full signal).  Suspect with two “bad” neeos in a row that C4 has a radio issue with one of their Neeo production runs. I’ve asked dealer to replace this one on left and make sure replacement is not defective too. 

218ABBA5-5CF6-4E08-8FC8-E8D7E233F212.png

On 5/23/2020 at 2:08 PM, Dunamivora said:

Is the Neeo driver set to have it stay connected all the time? They are very sleepy if not.

I think they default to not sleeping. The Neeo had sleep mode turned off in Ubiquiti home. Didn’t check on ruckus home because it couldn’t keep a connection even when using it. 

Thanks a lot for the update. I agree, having a wifi chip issue on the remote could be one reason. 

Just another idea is that the roaming between two APs was not working correctly. I see on the left remote another room than on the right remote. Do you know if both remotes are connected to the same AP or could it be, that the left remote was connected to another AP closer to the Patio or Kitchen and the roaming to the new AP was not working?

By default they go into wifi sleep, you have to disable this for each remote separately in composer. As far as I know, if you connect to a new controller, you have to do the change in composer  again.

6 minutes ago, Sandro said:

Thanks a lot for the update. I agree, having a wifi chip issue on the remote could be one reason. 

Just another idea is that the roaming between two APs was not working correctly. I see on the left remote another room than on the right remote. Do you know if both remotes are connected to the same AP or could it be, that the left remote was connected to another AP closer to the Patio or Kitchen and the roaming to the new AP was not working?

By default they go into wifi sleep, you have to disable this for each remote separately in composer. As far as I know, if you connect to a new controller, you have to do the change in composer  again.

Connected to same ap. Our installer is checking it now.  Will check wrt sleep mode as well 

13 hours ago, BrokenNote said:

Very interesting, especially side by side. For me a Neeo with Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR and older Araknis 300 router has been problem free.

Right but this demo was with ruckus. Installled (diamond dealer) just rmad this second Neeo. Definitely Wi-Fi chip imo. 

I am having the same problem here. I have noticed that from my unifi side the Neeo remote connects for 5 seconds and then disconnects. I have 2 Neeos and 1 is fine and the other struggles. I believe the location of the remote in between the two APs and the remote bounces between them. I am going to try updating the firmware again. I will also try bringing the good neeo remote to the struggling location and see if that neeo remote stays connected.

Looks like changing the radio strength on the APs helped keep the connection. I am at 2 hours and the Neeo remote has not disconnected. I have one AP set to medium on 2.4 ghz and the other AP is set to low. I am thinking that now the Neeo will stay connected to the AP with the medium radio. Seems to be working and will update if it does drop off. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, kroms14 said:

I am having the same problem here. I have noticed that from my unifi side the Neeo remote connects for 5 seconds and then disconnects. I have 2 Neeos and 1 is fine and the other struggles. I believe the location of the remote in between the two APs and the remote bounces between them. I am going to try updating the firmware again. I will also try bringing the good neeo remote to the struggling location and see if that neeo remote stays connected.

So what did you find? Returned two now with same issue (prob radio). Third one works fine. Seems like a bad production run. 

On 6/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, kroms14 said:

Looks like changing the radio strength on the APs helped keep the connection. I am at 2 hours and the Neeo remote has not disconnected. I have one AP set to medium on 2.4 ghz and the other AP is set to low. I am thinking that now the Neeo will stay connected to the AP with the medium radio. Seems to be working and will update if it does drop off. 

We tried same Neeo on ruckus and same issue. I think some neeos have bad radios. I’ve RMA’d two. Third works like a charm. 

13 hours ago, penn65000 said:

So what did you find? Returned two now with same issue (prob radio). Third one works fine. Seems like a bad production run. 

How come they charge these prices on such products with bad radio’s, no QA anymore?

On 6/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, kroms14 said:

Even if this “works” the remotes should roam freely and perfectly. I hope this is fixed and makes no sense they don’t have 5g radios too. 

35 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

Even if this “works” the remotes should roam freely and perfectly. I hope this is fixed and makes no sense they don’t have 5g radios too. 

I think you don't mean 5g. I think you mean 5GHz. With all the 5g misinformation these days I thought I would just clarify. 5g is cellular. But yea, I agree these should, in a perfect world, support 5GHz wifi.

The C4 FAQ says this:

Q: When setting up the Neeo Remote, why doesn’t my 5 GHz WiFi network show on the list?
A: The remote supports only 2.4 GHz networks. 2.4 GHz is superior to 5 GHz at penetrating walls and providing better overall Wi-Fi coverage in a home.

But I'd gather that a lot of our C4 homes have excellent WiFi so the lack of 5GHz is probably a cost choice on the radio/chip and on battery life.

57 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

They are promoting to the masses.

Perhaps.

To me it looks like the remote is unchanged from its original form from Neeo with the exception of adding certification for two additional wifi channels. This per FCC filings.

There are pros and cons to the choices of radio support. Since the device is more or less unchanged from its original form I'd gather that software upgrades are possible to make an old Neeo support C4. It's also the reason for no Zigbee.

17 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Perhaps.

To me it looks like the remote is unchanged from its original form from Neeo with the exception of adding certification for two additional wifi channels. This per FCC filings.

There are pros and cons to the choices of radio support. Since the device is more or less unchanged from its original form I'd gather that software upgrades are possible to make an old Neeo support C4. It's also the reason for no Zigbee.

I read there were enough hardware differences that the original Neeo remote cannot run the C4 software.

17 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I don't have any special knowledge. The 2019 application was for a permissive change. I read the FCC filings.

https://fccid.io/2AKK7-RM633601/Letter/Class-II-Permissive-Change-Letter-4502022

I believe the change was with ram and storage, both of which the FCC wouldn't care about.

Interesting to know about the FCC filing for more bands, must have been a U.S. thing.

1 hour ago, Dunamivora said:

I believe the change was with ram and storage, both of which the FCC wouldn't care about.

Interesting to know about the FCC filing for more bands, must have been a U.S. thing.

Possible. I would have expected interior photos if there was a physical change, but maybe its not required.

the Channels are 12 and 13 which I don't think are North America channels. I'm guessing the change was for Asia. Oddly, the certification document indicates that the power for 12 and 13 would be set to 0. I don't understand that, but I guess I don't really care all that much. Just interesting.

7 hours ago, penn65000 said:

Wow. 3rd time was the charm. I'm happy that C4 stood behind them and eventually got it right, but dang... the fact that it took 3 to get it right is a little alarming for a product with such a high price tag.

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

Wow. 3rd time was the charm. I'm happy that C4 stood behind them and eventually got it right, but dang... the fact that it took 3 to get it right is a little alarming for a product with such a high price tag.

Well it was under warrantee but two bad ones in a row is a bad sign. 

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.