C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge multiple VLAN help needed

Hello

I am having an issue with a multiple VLAN setup on my network and I’m hoping someone here with Pakedge experience can provide some help and let me know where I have gone wrong. I have been using my Pakedge router, switches, 3 AP’s and network controller for over 2 years with absolutely no issues with only VLAN1. Now I want to separate some of my equipment out to separate VLAN’s for a better network reliability but I can’t get the VLAN’s to talk to each other. I added a separate “test” IP camera to VLAN2 for testing purposes but I can’t see the assigned IP address to the camera and I can’t access it. I set it up with a DHCP reservation of 10.0.2.240 in the router.

I have the following equipment and connected as follows. 

1. RK-1 router - WAN1 connected to ISP modem, LAN1 connected to port 24 of the SK24 switch
  2. SK-24 switch - port 20, 21 & 22 connected to Pakedge access points. Port 18 connected to S26e switch 1, port 19 connected to S26e switch 2, port 23 connected to NK-1 network controller, port 24 connected to router
  3. NK-1 network controller
  4. S26e switch #1, all ports connected to multiple computers, Control4 equipment and IP cameras, etc
  5. S26e switch #2, all ports connected to NAS’s and Control4 equipment, etc

My main VLAN1 has DHCP range of 10.0.1.1 - 10.0.1.250 and has always been this way (and always worked fine). I use DHCP reservations for all my wired and wireless equipment. 

I enabled VLAN2 and “enable zone bonding” is checked. VLAN2 has an IP address of 10.0.2.1.

On my SK-24 switch I set port 9 to VLAN2 and all other ports are VLAN1. Under port assignment I have set hybrid to port 24. 

On my router I set a DHCP reservation for a test camera to 10.0.2.240 and I plugged that camera into port 9 on the SK-24 switch. 

When I try to access the test camera from my computer, it can’t find it. Says not available.  My computer is connected to the access point which is on VLAN1. When I look at the router status it shows all of the DHCP leases at 10.0.1.x except it does NOT show the test camera at 10.0.2.240. Only 10.0.1.x leases are listed. 

Are you able to tell my why I can’t access VLAN2 devices? I would eventually like to set up separate VLAN’s for all of my equipment to clean up my network but until I get one test camera working I don’t want to mess with the others. 

I have attached a couple pictures for reference.  I hope they help. Please note when I took the picture of the switch screen I had the test camera unplugged so that’s why it’s showing as a black port and not white. When I plug the camera in it turns white like the other used ports. 

I’m hoping someone here can help. 

Thanks in advance. 

3F83E14B-D446-420C-AACE-36EEDF9E4E5D.jpeg

4E40383E-65AB-4164-8A7C-B4727E9BE10F.jpeg

C769E32D-66BF-48F2-9A4B-ADB6C6AD08AF.jpeg

80293594-AE17-445A-AEB7-34E7F7BDC22F.jpeg

your switch ports that have waps, nk1 and uplink need to be hybrid ports and tagged with the additional vlans

your devices that sit on dedicated vlans should be access ports of that specific vlan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your switch ports that have waps, nk1 and uplink need to be hybrid ports and tagged with the additional vlans

your devices that sit on dedicated vlans should be access ports of that specific vlan

Hi pal

you need to allow the traffic from vlan1 and vlan2 to flow through your access points too, and the C4 processor and touch screens if you want to view them also. That way devices on the two vlans can communicate.

Try and and it should work

Thanks
M

8 minutes ago, jillmark99 said:

Ports 20, 21 & 22 on the switch are the access points and I made them hybrid ports (see pic in above post). Should this not allow the wifi on LAN1 to communicate with devices on LAN2? 

Wireless devices need to be access ports on all Vlans. so they can access the traffic on all lans 

Hybrid ports on Pakedge are used for uplinks

The other switch you have plugged in needs to also be set up as an access port on all vlans 

Theres a video here from Pakedge that explains how to do this: 

I hope that makes sense 

Thanks 

Muj

Also noticed that your switch is 10.0.1.240 and you set your camera to 10.0.2.240

In the vLAN world I'm pretty sure the 240 carries across the vLANs so you actually assigned your camera to the switches address on vLAN 2. I could be wrong, but I would test that theory

My router is connected to the switch on port 24. 

I previously watched the video you attached above Multiple times. 

according to Pakedge instructional videos, zone bonding should allow wireless devices connected to access points on VLAN1 to talk to devices on VLAN2. 

Router seems fine

Switch seems fine but Port 18 as a Hybrid going to an unmanaged switch isn't necessary, you would have to either make it an Access port to access a certain vLAN or a Trunk port and if you want devices separated you would have to give them Static IP.

I would try getting rid of the DHCP res you made for the camera and factory defaulting it, see if the RK1 picks it up in the dashboard and try to browse to it 

4 minutes ago, brekfastb said:

Router seems fine

Switch seems fine but Port 18 as a Hybrid going to an unmanaged switch isn't necessary, you would have to either make it an Access port to access a certain vLAN or a Trunk port and if you want devices separated you would have to give them Static IP.

I would try getting rid of the DHCP res you made for the camera and factory defaulting it, see if the RK1 picks it up in the dashboard and try to browse to it 

I can remove 18 and 19 from hybrid that go to the switches below. 
I tried removing the dhcp res for the camera and resetting. The camera will connect to 10.0.1.x and works fine. 

52 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

Step 1: Use VLAN 1 for management only.

Step 2: Make two more VLANs, make sure zone bonding is enabled and your pakedge switches set to the correct vlans.

My end goal is to use VLAN1 for management only. It has always been set up for everything on 1 VLAN since day one but once I figure out  how to get everything to talk (my test camera working) I will end up setting up 6 different VLANS for all of my different equipment. I wish I had set up separate VLAN’s right from the start but hindsight is 20/20. Lesson learned. 

zone bonding is enabled. 

13 minutes ago, jillmark99 said:

My end goal is to use VLAN1 for management only. It has always been set up for everything on 1 VLAN since day one but once I figure out  how to get everything to talk (my test camera working) I will end up setting up 6 different VLANS for all of my different equipment. I wish I had set up separate VLAN’s right from the start but hindsight is 20/20. Lesson learned. 

zone bonding is enabled. 

Try VLANs 2-6. I don't believe VLAN 1 bonds like the others.

i.e. use it for management only as it is designed. Using it for testing won't work as I don't believe it is designed to bond as the other zones do.

1 hour ago, Dunamivora said:

Try VLANs 2-6. I don't believe VLAN 1 bonds like the others.

i.e. use it for management only as it is designed. Using it for testing won't work as I don't believe it is designed to bond as the other zones do.

If it’s going to manage everything, does it not need to be able to see everything?

Any port on a managed switch that you want access to all VLAN's should be set as Trunk ports.  Trunk ports carry all VLAN information.

So the port where you have the RK1 to the first managed switch= should be trunk.

Any access point port that you want to access another VLAN= should be a trunk port.

I don't use Pakedge at all, other than when I had to do PCNA course, sold all equipment afterwards.  Don't remember what a hybrid port is, but can tell you that it's not in other networking equipment.

Access to all VLAN's with tagging on ports= Trunk

Access to a specific single VLAN with tagging= Access

(I'm assuming) access to all VLAN's with the option to tag= Hybrid, sometimes called General in other equipment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.