C4 Forums | Control4

Luma NVR and Cameras in Chrome

Someone posted in another thread that Luma had made some changes in their web interface, such that their NVR's and Cameras could now be displayed using Chrome as your browser.  Previously, one had to use Internet Explorer.  That's what I've been using, and it works fine, displaying my DS2 Mini Feed, as well as those from my 2 Luma 510 Bullet Cameras.

So I fired up the link in Google Chrome on my Windows 10 64-bit Desktop, and it loaded the interface properly.  Previously, it gave a message about needing to install a plug-in, and even when you did this, it never worked.  The unexpected thing now is that it does display the feed from my DS2 Mini, but *not* from my 2 Luma cameras.  To repeat, all 3 cameras display properly when using IE as the browser.

I imagine this is a glitch with the Luma interface for Chrome, since it was not working at all in the past. But I thought I'd ask here in case there is some odd setting or configuration that could account for this.  I know I can still use IE (and I do), but as I prefer Chrome in general, it would be nice to at least have the option.

ETA: The NVR Firmware is 3.4.95 Build 191127, the most recent, as recommended by Luma for this functionality.

Anybody here using Luma Cameras and NVR, who can report on whether they are able to see their Luma cameras in Chrome?  If it's just me, I can pursue directly with Luma, but if it's a current limitation of the interface, I'll just give them some more time.

I am but using the NVR 501 which does not support this firmware.  Not sure if Snap will make this functionality available on older models but hoping they will since IE will probably go away before I retire my NVR.

Several browsers have discontinued the support of plugins. Update your Luma recorder to firmware v3.4.95 build 191127, to view your system remotely in Chrome, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge To access your recorder remotely from a browser, port forward port 7681 on your router. Note: You cannot perform port translation. Both the internal and external port must be 7681. You do not need to append this port at the end of your URL as it does not replace your HTTP port. Example: If your HTTP port is 8042, your web address stays the same: e.g., MyHome.WirepathDNS.com:8042 Internet Explorer Some devices require Internet Explorer to be run using compatibility view. When accessing the Luma web interface while using compatibility view, some icons are misaligned. We recommend that the Internet Explorer compatibility view mode not be used when accessing the Luma web interface. Safari If you are using Safari version 11 or earlier, click here for the Safari plugin. With Safari version 12 and later, plugins are no longer supported. In that case, forward port 7681 on your router, or click here to download the Luma VMS

i just installed a luma 510 nvr, and 710 turret cams connected to the nvr, i couldnt get the plugins to work for chrome, so i just used ie, and was late in the day and didnt feel like calling snap to see why. all the cameras were connected to the nvr, and i used 3rd stream for integrating with c4, and i was impressed with the quality within c4

50 minutes ago, tekki70 said:

Several browsers have discontinued the support of plugins. Update your Luma recorder to firmware v3.4.95 build 191127, to view your system remotely in Chrome, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge To access your recorder remotely from a browser, port forward port 7681 on your router. Note: You cannot perform port translation. Both the internal and external port must be 7681. You do not need to append this port at the end of your URL as it does not replace your HTTP port. Example: If your HTTP port is 8042, your web address stays the same: e.g., MyHome.WirepathDNS.com:8042 Internet Explorer Some devices require Internet Explorer to be run using compatibility view. When accessing the Luma web interface while using compatibility view, some icons are misaligned. We recommend that the Internet Explorer compatibility view mode not be used when accessing the Luma web interface. Safari If you are using Safari version 11 or earlier, click here for the Safari plugin. With Safari version 12 and later, plugins are no longer supported. In that case, forward port 7681 on your router, or click here to download the Luma VMS

i just installed a luma 510 nvr, and 710 turret cams connected to the nvr, i couldnt get the plugins to work for chrome, so i just used ie, and was late in the day and didnt feel like calling snap to see why. all the cameras were connected to the nvr, and i used 3rd stream for integrating with c4, and i was impressed with the quality within c4

I appreciate the reply and info.  I am on the firmware you indicate, and did remember some mention of port forwarding from my reading.

I've attached a screen capture of my Araknis Router configuration, blanking out the public IP address.  The 8000 port was already forwarded as shown - set up by my company when they installed the system.  I then added (and saved) 7681 as shown, but the 2 Luma cameras still do not show the video feed when accessed through Chrome.  The internal IP is the correct one for the NVR.310_Araknis_Router.thumb.jpg.6e19b542aaa474d8c07dcc798f03d3aa.jpg

My networking knowledge and experience is limited, so if I haven't done this right, please let me know, and indicate what I should do differently.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, SY3 said:

I am but using the NVR 501 which does not support this firmware.  Not sure if Snap will make this functionality available on older models but hoping they will since IE will probably go away before I retire my NVR.

I'm also on the 501, and it's only a couple of years old so I'm very annoyed that they'd not support this. I hope it's just that they haven't completed it yet. It's possible that the 501 doesn't have the hardware or other features necessary to make the plugin-less version work. I understand they can't support old things forever, but this is a pretty new device and it's effectively broken for Mac users. The irony is I went with Luma specifically because they promoted their Mac support. Alternatively, porting the iOS app to MacOS (if done competently) would suffice.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:51 AM, johnpg said:

I'm also on the 501, and it's only a couple of years old so I'm very annoyed that they'd not support this. I hope it's just that they haven't completed it yet. It's possible that the 501 doesn't have the hardware or other features necessary to make the plugin-less version work. I understand they can't support old things forever, but this is a pretty new device and it's effectively broken for Mac users. The irony is I went with Luma specifically because they promoted their Mac support. Alternatively, porting the iOS app to MacOS (if done competently) would suffice.

I received confirmation from support that they will be making this version available for the NVR 501 models.  Unfortunately, can't test until then and still need IE or IE extension for Chrome.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Don Cohen said:

If you can remember, please post your experience when ths happens.

Also - what do you mean when you say you "still need IE or IE extension for Chrome"?

Meaning, until the new firmware is available, I'll still need to use IE or an IE extension I'm using for the Chrome browser.

I know this doesn't address the browser plugin issue but this is what I use to view my Luma NVR since all my browsers don't work with the plugin. 
Apple: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/luma-surveillance/id999425761

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snapAV.iVMS&hl=en_US

With that app you can view live streams and the NVR's recorded events. I only use it to see the recorded events and view the live cameras in the Control4 App. 

Thanks. Yes, I use the Luma App on my Android phone, and it works great.

I just checked in Chrome again, and it still doesn't show my Luma cameras.  Just my DS2 Mini.

I guess I can check with Luma Support on this, but was curious to see if this worked for others.

• 4 months later...

I have clients that have two DVR/NVRs in the same location.

Any tricks to make port 7681 work when you have two devices on the same network?

for 8000 I usually just make the external port 8001 for one of the devices....put internal port I leave at 8000.

But sounds like I can't do that for 7681 for it to work??? Anyone know?

Also no 310 DVRs/NVRs are mentioned....do they not get the same new benefit that the 510's are getting?

• 2 weeks later...

Running F/W version 3.4.99 build 180810 on NVR-310. Running Chrome Browser 86.0.4240.75 Per tech bulletin version 200323-1457 F/W version v3.4.95 build 191127 should be compatible with Chrome. I would assume that 3.4.99 is newer than 3.4.95 and would support Chrome, but I cannot see anything in Chrome. Moreover, I have downloaded the plugin from the local NVR and installed it, but that does not seem to help. Can I use Chrome or not for viewing video? It is our company's standard browser.

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, SY3 said:

I received confirmation from support that they will be making this version available for the NVR 501 models.  Unfortunately, can't test until then and still need IE or IE extension for Chrome.

It's been over a year and the firmware site has not updated. Have the plans for the NVR 501 been cancelled?

11 hours ago, BB42 said:

It's been over a year and the firmware site has not updated. Have the plans for the NVR 501 been cancelled?

I also have a 501 and I am pretty sure they won't update the firmware for those devices. I have put in atleast 5 reqests with support and mention it every time I need to call snap. I have had some people tell me no its never coming, others say yes that it will get worked on in the future.

My gut feeling tells me we will never see a firmware update for the 501 which is a real shame.

If I ever replace my luma system it definitely won't be with another Luma system.

Agreed. I'm completely disgusted with this entire thing. They completely abandoned the 501, and what is particularly egregious for me personally is they advertised this as working on a Mac and that was a major selling point for me. I get that it was the browser vendors fault for making the change, but to not support the older models with a fix really pisses me off. 

• 1 year later...

I too use a Luma 501 NVR and I am having trouble accessing any portions of the Luma control.  I have been using the older Internet Explorer version with a plug-in but now it  is saying "NO PLUG-IN DETECTED."  Can anyone offer me some advise as to what is going on in not allowing past the login page?  Any help would be appreciated. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.