C4 Forums | Control4

Got my Apple 4K Today

Time2Jet

I’m going to Add an Apple 4K to my home today. Right now, I launch Roku ultra mini apps. But for each zone o have Netflix from the Samsung TV, TiVo Bolt, Samsung BluRay, Roku Ultra and now the Apple. I think mini apps work for all of them but Apple. I try to choose based upon the formats supported be each device and that device’s arrangement with the content provider.

I’ll probably put the ATV4K on the matrix so that the Atmos theater room cam take advantage.

Any tips, tricks etc for ATV boxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for picture quality be sure to go to settings>video and audio>match content and turn on Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate.  This will adjust the HDR and Frame rate to match whatever the original content is supposed to have.  If not then ATV will force HDR even for non-HDR content which blows out the image quality.  

Another PQ tip is under the Video & Audio settings and here is a pic of my settings. Even though my TV supports Dolby Vision you don't want to "enable" it on ATV and just have the format set to 4K SDR (I am assuming your TV is 4K HDR compatible) but with Range and Frame Rate turned on.  Again, this will prevent ATV from forcing everything to be viewed in Dolby Vision or even HDR even though the original content was not mastered that way.  It seems somewhat counter-intuitive on the settings but that seems to be the best general consensus from the PQ "experts".. 

58968635400__A685C137-C85A-4267-9203-FFABF176120C.JPG

Lastly on Audio it depends on what the ATV is connected to.  If the ATV is dedicated to an AV Processor or Receiver then select what I think is called "Best Quality Audio" as you would get Dolby Atmos if available.  If you use the ATV as part of a distributed audio source and use an HDMI extractor this can cause issues as most can't downmix Atmos to 2 channel I believe.  In that case you may need to set it to Dolby Digital 5.1. Not everything is recorded in Atmos so it may not impacted that much but I do run into this from time to time and need to quickly change the settings but it is pretty easy. 

So I’m stumped. I downloaded and installed the Apple IP driver, did my bindings (matrix) and set up the player per the directions. I can see the IP when I scan my network, but Composer isn’t seeing the IP or MAC.

What am I missing.

21 minutes ago, time2jet said:

So I’m stumped. I downloaded and installed the Apple IP driver, did my bindings (matrix) and set up the player per the directions. I can see the IP when I scan my network, but Composer isn’t seeing the IP or MAC.

What am I missing.

Are you using the new driver, because I don't thin you enter the IP address. It uses the HomeKit name of the appletv.

I had to run out to the shop for a second. I think this driver was last updated in October 19? Installed both the driver and bridge.

What’s this about HomeKit?

I feel like I literally followed the driver instructions to the letter.

I’ve never done an AppleTV.

I'd you didn't do any of the setup in the c4 app then you are using the wrong driver. You need the bridge and the driver that says 4k

Done. I didn’t tick the control button in the iOS C4 app. Thanks.

If you have an Atmos theatre room and a video matrix, it would be a step backwards to connect the ATV to the matrix. Buy a dedicated ATV and connect it directly to your AVR to get the maximum 4K video and audio experience your equipment supports. Then use a second ATV, presumably with audio settings forced to stereo, connected to your matrix for your stereo zones to enjoy (I am assuming if you have a video matrix you have stereo video zones).

• 2 weeks later...
If you have an Atmos theatre room and a video matrix, it would be a step backwards to connect the ATV to the matrix. Buy a dedicated ATV and connect it directly to your AVR to get the maximum 4K video and audio experience your equipment supports. Then use a second ATV, presumably with audio settings forced to stereo, connected to your matrix for your stereo zones to enjoy (I am assuming if you have a video matrix you have stereo video zones).

Just a heads up that the Apple 4K is amazing. I particularly don’t miss mini apps, albeit it’s nice to have them fire apps from a Roku for non-power users and guests.

The Atmos works perfectly. I haven’t tried routing it via a matrix (have a current AVPro sitting on the shelf waiting for me to find time. Right now the ATV4K is matrixed via a Denon X8500 to two zones (9.2.4) and a Sonos Playbar and 5.1 setup (I have a Sonos ARC coming).

Will be interesting to see how it performs via the AVPro matrix. The matrix is top of the line with Atmos capability and audio downmixing, so I can’t imagine it won’t work perfectly.

As for an independent ATV for 2ch zones, I hesitate to buy another damn streaming device as I just thought about the fact that in each Zone I have the opportunity to launch a Netflix app via the Samsung TV, TiVo Bolt, Samsung BluRay, Roku Ultra’s, TiVo Stream 4K and now ATV 4K. “6” various instances. But only one js Atmos capable. That’s crazy. I have the remotes program to fire the Roku mini app from the Roku for everyday watching and guests. If I want an Atmos experience, I just navigate to the ATV 4K.

You will be short changing yourself on video resolution if you don't connect your ATV directly to your receiver.

How so? The AVPro matrix @18gbs is capable of passing Dolby Vision, all HDR formats up to 4K HDR @ 60HZ, and all of the current audio formats. Same with the Denon x8500. Just trying to understand what I’ll be compromising. I’ve already tested the audio formats and done subsampling and other video testing. Everything is as expected in testing.

6 minutes ago, time2jet said:

How so? The AVPro matrix @18gbs is capable of passing Dolby Vision, all HDR formats up to 4K HDR @ 60HZ, and all of the current audio formats. Same with the Denon x8500. Just trying to understand what I’ll be compromising. I’ve already tested the audio formats and done subsampling and other video testing. Everything is as expected in testing.

Do you have Cat6a or better between your video matrix and TVs? 

Do you have Cat6a or better between your video matrix and TVs? 

I do. Cat 6a and AVPro AC-EX100-444 gen2 baluns. So far, so good. But it concerns me that there some resistance in opinion. Just want to do this right.

6 minutes ago, time2jet said:

I do. Cat 6a and AVPro AC-EX100-444 gen2 baluns. So far, so good. But it concerns me that there some resistance in opinion. Just want to do this right.

Then you should be fine. if you had Cat6 or lesser then you wouldn't be achieving the full 18GBS. If general terms, it's preferable to minimize the equipment and manipulation of video and audio if you have a high-end TV and  receiver and are trying for the highest 4K Experience. Having just one high quality HDMI cable reduces potential of issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.