C4 Forums | Control4

Got my Apple 4K Today

Time2Jet

Then you should be fine. if you had Cat6 or lesser then you wouldn't be achieving the full 18GBS. If general terms, it's preferable to minimize the equipment and manipulation of video and audio if you have a high-end TV and  receiver and are trying for the highest 4K Experience. Having just one high quality HDMI cable reduces potential of issues.

I follow you perfectly now and agree the less for the signal to pass through is ideal. This one seems fine, but I’ll watch things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony HDR TVs don't accept HDR on all HDMI inputs. My better Sony TV is older and only accepts it on one port. The newer one accepts on 2 out of 4 ports. Not sure about other manufacturers. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, PorterTX said:

Another PQ tip is under the Video & Audio settings and here is a pic of my settings. Even though my TV supports Dolby Vision you don't want to "enable" it on ATV and just have the format set to 4K SDR (I am assuming your TV is 4K HDR compatible) but with Range and Frame Rate turned on.  Again, this will prevent ATV from forcing everything to be viewed in Dolby Vision or even HDR even though the original content was not mastered that way.  It seems somewhat counter-intuitive on the settings but that seems to be the best general consensus from the PQ "experts".. 

58968635400__A685C137-C85A-4267-9203-FFABF176120C.JPG

@PorterTX or others. I just upgraded my rack ATV to the 4K model. My theater has the latest sony OLED which is connected to my rack mounted AVR (audio control M9) via an 80’ HDMI cable. My audio including ATMOS is fantastic. I have a few questions on video format and cables:

1. You suggest 4K SDR. Why this over 4K HDR or Dolby Vision?

2. It appears that my HDMI cable does not support Dolby Vision or even 4:4:4 (while using 4K SDR or 4K HDR)

3. All audio is wired direct from my rack amps to the individual speakers, so no audio goes to the tv. I have a conduit and can easily run a new cable from my rack to the tv. What is the recommended best method for video from my AVR (output HDMI) to tv? If HDMI cable, which cable supports the throughput? If IP, which hardware is best?

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

1. You suggest 4K SDR. Why this over 4K HDR or Dolby Vision?

The setting suggested still gives HDR or DV when HDR or DV content is played. 

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

3. All audio is wired direct from my rack amps to the individual speakers, so no audio goes to the tv. I have a conduit and can easily run a new cable from my rack to the tv. What is the recommended best method for video from my AVR (output HDMI) to tv? If HDMI cable, which cable supports the throughput? If IP, which hardware is best?

What kind of cable do you have right now? For 80´, i´d go for an active hybrid fiber HDMI cable. That should work.

4K 4:4:4 is still a challenge via CAT-cabling and can get pretty expensive.

2 hours ago, Köhler Medientechnik said:

The setting suggested still gives HDR or DV when HDR or DV content is played. 

What kind of cable do you have right now? For 80´, i´d go for an active hybrid fiber HDMI cable. That should work.

4K 4:4:4 is still a challenge via CAT-cabling and can get pretty expensive.

I have a BlueJean BJC Series 1 cable (which is not rated for 4K). I will look into the active fiber HDMI cable. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.