C4 Forums | Control4

Araknis 810 WAP

Hi all. Finally have a few quotes that I’m considering and Araknis equipment for networking is being recommended.  I know the profit motive for the dealers but it is also important that we have a system that can be supported should any issues arise and the familiarity seems like that would help and keep troubleshooting and support costs down in the future. Add in OvrC and I think I’m comfortable with Araknis for the main gear.

Router and switch seem to be ok from what I’m reading on the forum but I’m not seeing much on the newer 810 WAPs.  I have seen quite a few negative comments about the Araknis WAPs in general but nothing on the newest model.  It’s a few hundred dollars+ up charge to go to the 810 but based on what I’ve been reading here I think I need to pay for that upgrade IF the 810 is a solid choice. We’ve been through quite a few expensive consumer WiFi and mesh setups and it is annoying to have to keep turning our WiFi off/on on our devices (iPads and iPhones when roaming around the house) just to get WiFi so the WAP and WiFi performance are important to us. Especially considering the cost of upgrading the network as part of the system upgrade.

I’m going to find out if the front runner dealer would be willing to install Ruckus WAPs but don’t know their comfort level with that yet. So we may be ‘stuck’ with Araknis WAPs so the 810 is probably the choice if that’s the case.

I know many have opinions about the best equipment, suggestions for other manufacturers, etc. and I think I’ve been through the majority of those threads. I’m really learning a lot so thank you for taking the time to share your time and experience - know that it is appreciated!

What I’m really hoping to hear are experiences with the 810s specifically.  Issues with roaming corrected from the previous model? Stability, coverage, etc.

It’s very difficult to find reviews and I’d like to make a good decision on this aspect of the install.

Thanks in advance!

heres what you really want to do, and it doesnt matter what Waps they use, you need to find out how proficient they are with installing wifi, ask them what tools they use to set up the wifi. If they dont use Wispy or something equal then they are just guessing at where to place waps. a solid company will do a heat map and can give you a print out of the best locations, and how many waps your home needs in order to have proper coverage. i come across lots of takeover jobs and the 1st thing we do is check wifi coverage, and if there is anything that needs to be done with placement of waps and power settings. 90% the placemnt is poor, and improper settings in the waps. Most of us are AV companies 1st, with adding wifi to our systems, but not a lot of us are networking guys, some havent done crap to learn about wifi, they just drop in and expect it to work properly. Araknis is fantastic, i prefer the 700 series over the 810 as the 700 will go further, however if you have lots of parties, then the 810 is a better fit because of the 4x4 antenna beamforming is also nice feature, . however if you have a large house, you may need more 810 then 700. i do not like thier outdoor waps so we will install a wap inside of soffit outside or put one in a sealed weatherproof box. the point though is make sure whatever company you go with knows how to setup wifi, ask for a report they have done for your house. some companies may charge you, but take it off the price of the system if you buy from them, this process can take 2-3 hours to perform at your house, then time in the office to put the report together.

Option 1: Buy the Ruckus waps yourself and install them yourself.  Have the integrator take their waps off the proposal.

Option 2: Roll the dice and be back on here asking what other manufacturer to try.

I'll agree with the comments above that most AV companies have ZERO clue about networking other than plugging a device in and praying it works.  That is the majority unfortunately.  It's even better when they are charging IT Admin rates.  Most companies certainly will not invest in the software for heatmaps.  Doubt you'll find any of your prospects that do it.

The lead that Rukus had, is being lessened by competitors new products.

We sell both, and with the virus issues, it's been much easier to support clients with the Araknis APs. And there is also WiFi family limits that are part of the Araknis units. Both brands have been performing well, and we're now leaning more to Araknis because of OVRC and remote support abilities, easy firmware updates, limits, manufacturer support. Yes remote support can be done with Ruckus too, but it's not as integrated as it is with OVRC.

510 vs 810, here's my take, you're going to replace them again in a couple of years; WiFi 6 and all that. So bank the difference for tomorrow, or go top line knowing their going to be replaced in a couple of years? it's your wallet. If you expect to have a half dozen people banging away with zoom, gaming etc, go 810.

2 hours ago, RAV said:

The lead that Rukus had, is being lessened by competitors new products.

We sell both, and with the virus issues, it's been much easier to support clients with the Araknis APs. And there is also WiFi family limits that are part of the Araknis units. Both brands have been performing well, and we're now leaning more to Araknis because of OVRC and remote support abilities, easy firmware updates, limits, manufacturer support. Yes remote support can be done with Ruckus too, but it's not as integrated as it is with OVRC.

510 vs 810, here's my take, you're going to replace them again in a couple of years; WiFi 6 and all that. So bank the difference for tomorrow, or go top line knowing their going to be replaced in a couple of years? it's your wallet. If you expect to have a half dozen people banging away with zoom, gaming etc, go 810.

I do not agree at all (Ruckus vs. Competition).  But, it is your opinion.

Appreciate all of the feedback - thanks everyone! And believe me, I'm not diminishing all of your opinions about going with Ruckus or another manufacturer. I was just trying to see if I could get real world feedback on whether the 810 would be a useful upgrade.

So, if I wanted to make a switch and install the WAPs myself, my biggest concern is that I don't have a background or skills to set them up, power levels, directions, etc. so I'm trying to weigh that with having the installer support their install of the 510s.

We only have two of us in the house most of the time so bandwidth isn't really an issue.  I was more concerned about all of the roaming dropoffs and having to reconnect devices that I've seen reported on the 510s.

Thanks again for all of your input and suggestions. I'm hoping the installer will be able to accommodate ruckus but, again, anything OvrC or remote would likely be more expensive to resolve later if we do have issues.  I guess I'll find out when I speak with him.

Appreciate your feedback and keep it comin! 

I’ve been drinking the SnapAV kool-aid for over a decade and I don’t buy their WAP’s. IMO you’re better off buying 2-510’s instead of 1-810 I’d you really want to go with Araknis WAP’s. The 810  by their own documentation is for commercial applications, even then they’re overbuilt. 

reagrdless, wispys and heat maps are joke to. 

I’ve been running ubiquiti controllers on $25 raspberry pi with the UAPHDPros, and setting up VPNs if I need to monitor.  You’re welcome. 

What are you people doing on the internet that requires you to have 100+ MBps down everywhere on all devices on WiFi?

I can hook a roku stick up to a hotel tv and stream HD video no issues with 8-10 MBps hotel WiFi. 

We run two 510’s (one upstairs and one down) with araknis router and switches. It’s been rock solid and would do it again. Only issues we’ve had is Cox Internet occasionally getting overloaded a few times in our hood seemingly due to so many folks working from home.

OVRC has been instrumental and helping there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.