C4 Forums | Control4

EA3 for home DIY

Yes, but not through normal channels. You may have to try to find a dealer willing to sell you one without support, or roll the die with a used unit. You'll have to figure out how to learn composer pro and thats after you get yourself a cracked version. Also you'll need the same tactics to get yourself most drivers beyond the ones to control your tv, receiver, etc. This is largely a dealer forum, but there are boards dedicated to this very topic, just takes a little googling.

Easiest way is to find a dealer who is willing to sell the hardware, you do all the physical installing, cabling rack etc...
The dealer then does the Control4 setup what you cannot do and then you can do the programming with Composer He yourself
Should save a couple of thousand if you can do the installation

so what equipment do i need if I buy the hardware myself?

I am looking for the TV/music/ multiroom audio control

lights maybe later

security cameras

I think I need EA3, wall mount screens. I already got the cat6 prewire to the walls for the screens

1 hour ago, control4set said:

so what equipment do i need if I buy the hardware myself?

I am looking for the TV/music/ multiroom audio control

lights maybe later

security cameras

I think I need EA3, wall mount screens. I already got the cat6 prewire to the walls for the screens

you should consult with a remote dealer here.  they can sell you some of the stuff new, or direct you on what to find on ebay or the for sale section on this website.  piece it together and they can set up your project

5 hours ago, control4set said:

can i buy EA3 and setup control4 myself? the control4 dealer wants 15-20k to setup control4 

Do you have an actual quote with line items? How much is hardware? Cable? Programming?

In general you aren't going to save any money attempting to do this yourself. If you are price sensitive perhaps detail your plan and folks can suggest options for compromises.

do i have to use control 4 amps? What about a mponolith amp?

There are generally integration options for almost any brand of equipment, unless they are blocking integration by hiding the API or some such nonsense.

so I have to contact an authorized c4 dealer to install this?

Yes. Seriously you are going to waste a lot of time and effort if you think you can get a new install of a Control4 system significantly cheaper than going through a dealer.

If you already had a system in place and wanted to add to it there are plenty of dealer who can do remote programming and upgrades etc, but starting from scratch you  are going to need a local dealer who can program and support the system.

You might be better going down the DIY route with more consumer grade/targeted products.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.