C4 Forums | Control4

BEST locations for motion sensors....all ideas welcomed

All,

Looking for the best locations and ideas for placing motion sensors. Looking to do mostly ceiling sensors because I just can't stand the look of those all mounted ones. Looking for any and all ideas on where to place them both for security and for non-security. Thanks in advance 

Depends on what your doing, if you want your house truly automated i would do all rooms, you could have a scene running and have lights, music, and/or tvs turn on and off as you enter or leave rooms. closet doors turn lights on and off. kitchen, have lights, music start, while your in the kitchen. Timers going, etc. if you have a door lock, use a certain code to kick on the scene to begin. different codes can do different scenes, for different people or just your mood 

41 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Do you need wired motion sensors added to get this to work?  Just trying to think how this would be installed in an existing home (not new build).

Jeff

There are wireless motion sensors

https://www.nycesensors.com/
https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/motion-sensor/

Those happen to have Zigbee/c4 models you can get from your dealer.  NYCE sells direct to consumer but they are not directly c4 compatible.  You would need another hub to talk to C4.  I am sure there are other non c4/Zigbee and Zwave ones available as well that again would require hub/IFTTT or something to talk to C4.

I’ve found directly above the bathroom door (preferably recessed or with a very narrow beam) plus another one further into the bathroom (or above the toilet) works brilliantly for determining when someone enters / exits the bathroom as well as when someone is in the bathroom which is great for clever light automation.

Also top and bottom of the stairs (again recessed or with a narrow beam) is very useful for automating lights on the stairs...

When you say narrow beam, can you change the pick up to be narrow or wide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Mike_S101 said:

When you say narrow beam, can you change the pick up to be narrow or wide?

In my main home, I did this by recessing the unit.  In my beach house, my alarm guy installed much smarter sensors where I can block out certain areas using the relevant software.

In my main home, I did this by recessing the unit.  In my beach house, my alarm guy installed much smarter sensors where I can block out certain areas using the relevant software.

Could you ask him for the make and model please.

20 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have the senors at Floor level - so they do not spoil the look of the walls 

Work great and do not every see them 

All rooms are controlled and can say we have not turned a light on or off for the last 4 years  

Crazy. Any pets?

9 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have the senors at Floor level - so they do not spoil the look of the walls 

Work great and do not every see them 

All rooms are controlled and can say we have not turned a light on or off for the last 4 years  

Pics of install?

On 6/9/2020 at 6:20 PM, Mike_S101 said:

Could you ask him for the make and model please.

I can’t get hold of the guy who installed my alarm system and I cannot find the electronic copy of the brochures / product manual that I had  but I did look at the invoices that I got and I think it is the DG467 Paradome 360 degree ceiling motion detector (but I’m not 100% sure)... I probably have the  brochure / manual at my holiday home... but will only get there when we move to lockdown level 2 😓

Personally I think motion with the advanced lighting timer driver is the best. I have about seven rooms in my house that all function off motion and have time of day and different scenes triggered and even different things occur on the weekends vs weekdays. It's very cool. for example during the week when you walk through the living room midday the lights don't turn on but on the weekends when you walk through the living room midday the lights turn on. That was a wife request. So I really like that one. Next step for me on light and motion is tying in holidays. So I can run alternate AKA weekend schedules on holidays when we are home.

and I think I only have about two more rooms left where I actually want motion to occur.

15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Personally I think motion with the advanced lighting timer driver is the best. I have about seven rooms in my house that all function off motion and have time of day and different scenes triggered and even different things occur on the weekends vs weekdays. It's very cool. for example during the week when you walk through the living room midday the lights don't turn on but on the weekends when you walk through the living room midday the lights turn on. That was a wife request. So I really like that one. Next step for me on light and motion is tying in holidays. So I can run alternate AKA weekend schedules on holidays when we are home.

and I think I only have about two more rooms left where I actually want motion to occur.

I assume this is the Domosapiens driver? I need to give it a try.  I currently have most things working the way I want them to work BUT with a lot of programming!

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:
20 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:
I assume this is the Domosapiens driver? I need to give it a try.  I currently have most things working the way I want them to work BUT with a lot of programming!

Correct. I have no programming. All config in driver

Nice!  Will definitely be looking at this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.