C4 Forums | Control4

Setting up used HC-250

Gezza

Question

Hi folks!

Decided to put my toes in Control4 environment by getting a used HC-250

Got nothing else. Apart from Android app

Is it going to be possible to get this up and running without some other outlay (licence/hardware)? 🧐

Had understood as I have a BL-1, licence stays with controller......

10 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, PorterTX said:

Correct but there are lots of great dealers on this site that can help you remotely. There is even a section of this site to help with that (see below).   If you only have an HC250 that should be fairly easy. 

https://www.c4forums.com/forum/26-looking-for-an-integrator/

I'll go look there  then 👍

Although - how do I work out who to trust with remote access to my router/home network? 🥺

Good question as I am a home user like you.  To my understanding you are only granting access through the Control4 User Portal (see link below).  This should only allow them access to the HC250 and not anything else on your network (to my understanding).  Control4 takes this very seriously and to become a dealer they must go through quite a bit of training and I think have contracts and privileges that could be revoked if this were abused not to mention their reputation on this forum. 

As for the portal link below this may be a "chicken or the egg" situation now that I am thinking about it.  I will probably need a dealer to chime in on this to validate but I don't know how you can designate a dealer without first having an account setup.  Maybe you use the existing license?? Again, I am getting outside of my understanding on what needs to come first.

https://customer.control4.com/

1 hour ago, Gezza said:

I'll go look there  then 👍

Although - how do I work out who to trust with remote access to my router/home network? 🥺

if you look at the reviews on this forum for online dealers - the feedback will speak for itself.  They are all reputable folk

and when you are ready to expand let me know, I have another hc250, an hc800 and a few touchscreens for sale in the wanted section (shameless plug)

@Gezza First question I usually ask end users is 1. how comfortable are they with setting up a home network and 2. Are they willing to accept good advise.

Other questions I might ask are what are your goals for integration and budget.

Can you confirm if that HC250 is a BL-1? If not, don't bother using it as a primary controller. It doesn't have a site licence (no free app).

Maybe consider an HC800 BL-1 or an ea3.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

First interaction with anyone remote will be to access your network.  They need to be on your network in order to configure your controller to link to your C4 account.  No way around this.

Create a new user login for vpn and then just disable it when the job's done.

Once the controller is setup and you change your C4 dealer of record to whoever you are using, they can now access just the controller.

Ok, actually followed my toes into the water and now up & running.

My starting point is to use this as a way of controlling all my AV equipment remotely. Single room only at the moment. 

OS far, so good

Trying to use the audio out from the HC-250 to supply a powered sub; if I'm upstairs and it's too much: turn it down, etc. etc. 

Delay, really nasty delay

3 - 4 seconds 😲 

Literally (I've measured it) 🤮

What is that all about?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.