C4 Forums | Control4

Speed is life

Elvis

8 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I finally got a VPN working for my home network.  Need to do the same on my holiday house network.  

App now loads in 2 seconds remotely if I am on another WiFi network.  It is an unbelievable experience 😀.  I can’t get it to work when on my cellular suppliers 4G network.  Not quite sure why as I get the VPN to open and I can access IP addresses but the Control4 app fails to load with a 408 error.  Weird that it works remotely from, say, my work WiFi but doesn’t work on a cellular network.  Have not tried other cellular providers yet...

Wow. After all this time....you've gotta be thrilled with that!! Congrats!

7 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I finally got a VPN working for my home network.  Need to do the same on my holiday house network.  

App now loads in 2 seconds remotely if I am on another WiFi network.  It is an unbelievable experience 😀.  I can’t get it to work when on my cellular suppliers 4G network.  Not quite sure why as I get the VPN to open and I can access IP addresses but the Control4 app fails to load with a 408 error.  Weird that it works remotely from, say, my work WiFi but doesn’t work on a cellular network.  Have not tried other cellular providers yet...

from someone who is a noob when it comes to networking what all did this take to do?   is this something I could figure out watching youtube or reading some kind of material online?  I get the concept of a VPN and I even have set up a VPN using AWS for free following a youtube video but I don't really know what I am doing... I am pretty good at following directions tho lol

On 10/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

Ahhh, 3.1.3 IOS app issues, I thought they got that resolved, can u switch to 3G and try again? BTW u can still pays C4 a $100 a year for the fun of it 🤪

6 minutes ago, azkid said:

from someone who is a noob when it comes to networking what all did this take to do?   is this something I could figure out watching youtube or reading some kind of material online?  I get the concept of a VPN and I even have set up a VPN using AWS for free following a youtube video but I don't really know what I am doing... I am pretty good at following directions tho lol

A VPN doesn’t have to secure tunnel outbound it works as well for inbound, meaning u can VPN to ur home network and work with apps as if u r on ur WiFi, as for fucked countries like ours we use it extensively to access blocked web sites 😉

15 hours ago, azkid said:

If you have a decent router, you can probably set one up fairly easily.  I understand the concept but have no networking skills whatsoever.  I have a Luxul router and followed the instructions on a YouTube video to get it up and running. Took me half an hour x 2.  First half hour was at my beach house and I failed... second half hour was at my home and I succeeded.  My dealer tells me the problem at my beach house was probably because I have 2 routers (the ISP provided one that simply passes traffic through to my Luxul).  Apparently he will need to set up a DMZ or something like that and then my settings should work their too 🙈

31 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

If you have a decent router, you can probably set one up fairly easily.  I understand the concept but have no networking skills whatsoever.  I have a Luxul router and followed the instructions on a YouTube video to get it up and running. Took me half an hour x 2.  First half hour was at my beach house and I failed... second half hour was at my home and I succeeded.  My dealer tells me the problem at my beach house was probably because I have 2 routers (the ISP provided one that simply passes traffic through to my Luxul).  Apparently he will need to set up a DMZ or something like that and then my settings should work their too 🙈

Awesome I also have a Luxul router.  Ill check out youtube thank you!

1 hour ago, azkid said:

Awesome I also have a Luxul router.  Ill check out youtube thank you!

Great.  It is really easy.  On the router software (accessed at the router IP address via a web interface) you simply set up the VPN server settings and the  VPN user settings. These are what you then use to access the VPN remotely. 

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to give an update to let you all know we hear your concerns and feel them too. Many of the developers at SnapOne/Control4 use the systems in their home and have 1 or more mobile devices we test our homes against (iOS and Android). There are some things we as developers on the platform can do in order to make the app as fast as possible in connecting to the controller, both locally and remote. There are some things we are doing within the app to improve this and some things out of our hands that involve overall infrastructure changes and support from other groups outside of the developer group to improve this. Things are in motion to get this all to happen and I am sure once it's done the results should be a great improvement. It is currently a top priority in the mobile dev group and a lot of engineering effort is going into this pain point.

We want the app as fast as possible as well, and strive to make this a reality. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to bring a much faster experience to iOS (we have some catching up to do) and Android users. 

It' been a very long time but I am really glad to read your report. And thank you for taking time to communicate this info. Just last night i was wondering if it was even on anyone's radar. It may not seem like an issue to most but I only use my ios devices...mostly my iPhone but sometimes my ipad, and not the c4 hard remotes (though I do have a c4 wand). It gets very tedious to wait till it connects...usually around 3 seconds. I know it doesn't sound long but when you need to stop something in a hurry...or you need to adjust whatever multiple times in a vey short period, it gets frustrating. The slider & up/down buttons were just fixed yesterday and that was a welcome surprise! 

I know the c4 structure is much more complex than most realize and, as you described, actually takes the cooperation of many people and groups. And each groups project is the most important!

Anyway...just wanted to comment and thank you for the update and to say how much I am looking forward to the improvement! Good luck to all of you.

Outside looking in it's easy to see that the point of view appears that there's just one group that makes everything work. Because there's just 1 app that allows us all to interface with our homes but in reality there's a dev group for drivers, one for core controller work, QT, OvrC, Cloud Services, Android and iOS to name a few. Sometimes we all have a piece of the pie and we implement things at different times base on priorities for the group. But rest assured we are all moving towards the same goals and that's the best customer experience we can provide. It really is our passion. Thanks for hanging in there with us as we improve with every release.

Thanks @DatBear- I can assure you that we are all rooting you on and watching with interest to see what changes are coming after the 2 significant maintenance periods over the last 2 weeks.  We also appreciate the improved communication from C4 and look forward to OS3.2.3 which is rumoured to be happening next week.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.