C4 Forums | Control4

NEEO wish list

Elvis

1. The home screen when nothing is active should use the entire screen to show favorites. Our least favorite thing is having to swipe left/right.

For example, when we pick up the remote in the Family Room and the room is off, why not show us a full screen of options? Only having 6 single button options is not enough. 12 or 15 would be a lot nicer. This would make it so much better than the SR-260. For my family at least, it would make it the "Go To" remote. Right now, my wife and I both generally pick up the 260. Our daughter picks up the Neeo most of the time. 

2. The standard screens for Watch need work. I'd like to see DVR, Guide and Info on the center screen for at least Satellite and Cable. The four color buttons on Screen 2 like on Screen 1 or the first screen. I think there is room also for 3 or 4 custom buttons. We miss the 1, 2, and 3 dot buttons that are on the 260.

3. Not sure why you can't do what you can do on the iOS app right on the NEEO, at least as far as favorites and screen arrangement.

4. MSRP of $400ish. It's overpriced in my opinion.

5. Zigbee

Edited by Elvis
Added #4 and #5

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

There are architectural reasons why the Neeo doesn't fill the screen with favorites when nothing is playing.

Care to elaborate? A good architect would find a way.

I think the explanation is pretty straight forward if you think about it.  The Neeo was not developed to be a Control4 remote, Control4 bought the company and ran with what they had to an  extent, so there are going to be some things about the architecture of the remote and it's interface that is not ideal.  Gen 2 is where you'll see the C4 guys really put their stamp on it. 

20 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

I think the explanation is pretty straight forward if you think about it.  The Neeo was not developed to be a Control4 remote, Control4 bought the company and ran with what they had to an  extent, so there are going to be some things about the architecture of the remote and it's interface that is not ideal.  Gen 2 is where you'll see the C4 guys really put their stamp on it. 

I'm going to be disappointed if Gen2 happens soon AND it requires new hardware.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

I'm going to be disappointed if Gen2 happens soon AND it requires new hardware.

Being some of the most requested features that may be in a Gen2 at some point include more buttons and backlit buttons, I suspect that at least those aspects of some theoretical Gen2 would require new hardware...

:)

RyanE

2 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Being some of the most requested features that may be in a Gen2 at some point include more buttons and backlit buttons, I suspect that at least those aspects of some theoretical Gen2 would require new hardware...

RyanE

Copy. RyanE says don't buy Gen1. ;) 

55 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Copy. RyanE says don't buy Gen1. ;) 

That is not at all what I said.

The limitations of the current hardware are well known, and even with those limitations, in my (incredibly biased) opinion, it still makes for a great remote.

That said, if you're dumb enough to believe that Control4 can change buttons and backlights with a software update, that's an issue.

RyanE

I'm hoping that the changes already made to the C4 NEEO mean that it is not already on the back burner due to development of Gen2. I would want Gen1 to be the best possible remote it can be -- before starting on Gen2. Backlighting? Extra buttons? Later. 

Apparently the old NEEO architects knew how to fill up the screen with favorites. Just sayin'...

547.jpeg

Kind of disingenuous to show that, since that's not on their 'main screen'... That's inside one of their specific 'drivers'.

In any case, I'm not interested in getting into a tit-for-tat as to why things are the way they are.

RyanE

8 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Kind of disingenuous to show that, since that's not on their 'main screen'... That's inside one of their specific 'drivers'.

In any case, I'm not interested in getting into a tit-for-tat as to why things are the way they are.

RyanE

A driver / function for Control4 that allows one to call a screen (other than the home screen) and fill it with buttons like the old Neeo driver did would be a pretty cool Software update for us gen 1 users (even if it cannot be done on the home screen per se).  I currently use the default menus (numbers and transport controls etc.) for some sources and for other sources I execute the home command and use the first 6 experience buttons in the room (which I have set to be buttons that are useful for some of my devices in a configuration I like - clearly 12 buttons would beat 6).  I have even played around with changing the logos (emojis)  on these buttons on the fly for different sources using the Blackwire Emoji driver.  It is pretty cool just slightly slow / clunky to update as one changes sources. 

Wow. It's a wish list.

27 minutes ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

And it was very genuine. As I said in my message, they knew how to fill up the screen with favorites... I didn't say the old "main screen." 

Add Zigbee to the wish list. NEEO and iOS app crapped out last night, so I guess it was a WiFi issue. Streaming movie never flinched, and other WiFi stuff was working fine. Lasted about 60 minutes (at least). Weird. 260 worked the whole time.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Add Zigbee to the wish list. NEEO and iOS app crapped out last night, so I guess it was a WiFi issue. Streaming movie never flinched, and other WiFi stuff was working fine. Lasted about 60 minutes (at least). Weird. 260 worked the whole time.

I guess that would need to be Gen2... don’t think even Control4 can do that via a software update 😃

• 2 months later...

Since I feel like gloating, and another thread reminded me of my predictions, I'm going to post my original comments (10/30/19) here. 

What's hilarious is that C4 is going to totally charge like $500+ for a remote that used to cost $400. And what's even funnier is this remote is going to be shittier in almost every respect than the SR260 except that it looks cooler. How do I know that? Because it looks identical to the original Neeo hardware and I know how that worked. So what are my predictions as to why everyone will hate this? 

1. No backlighting (this is going to be the biggest complaint, trust me). It's one of the main reasons I dumped my Neeo. 

2. Buttons are too close (second biggest complaint).

3. Terrible battery life (like 2 days if its not in the cradle)--I could see C4 actually upgrading this, but I doubt it. They need to dump that acquired Neeo inventory somehow, am I right?

4. Terrible wifi connection, which be made worse by the fact that presumably there will be no base station. 

5. You will constantly need to be flipping between screens. A lot of people will hate that. Afterall it's why people own the SR260 in the first place instead of using their phones. 

And finally, let's not forget that we are dealing with C4 too. So I'm sure that no-brainer functionality that will actually differentiate the remote from the SR260 will be missing too. Like what about looking at cameras, that would be sweet right? I'll bet right now that's not there. Or what about the wakeup agent? That would be cool. How much you want to bet that won't be there? Then of course they'll be functionality the SR260 has that C4 hasn't implemented yet since they often release half baked products. Like maybe you can't control lights, thermostats, or blinds.

I'll be looking forward to pointing back to this thread once my predictions hold true. 

I'm like a regular nostradamus!  Where is the camera functionality??? Well if you want that--get ready to pay even more for Neeo 2.0.

Also, I think I nailed it with the blinds. They did add the functionality later on, but as I recall it wasn't there on release proving my "half-baked" point. I don't know on the wakeup agent, but I'm guessing I was right on that too. 

So why am I posting this again? Because now that we all know I was right, it shows just how lazy C4 was on this. All of these problems were known with the Neeo. They didn't fix a single one. Why? Because they need to compete with Savant, and (1) the Neeo looks cool so dealers can sell it to unsuspecting customers; and (2) they know we are all suckers who will buy the latest greatest gadget in a heartbeat. They will release a good remote. But its going to cost way more, and the current Neeo will then become an overpriced, barely functional, paperweight. If you paid full price for the original, you are paying for the privilege of being a beta tester for C4. 

38 minutes ago, ntlord said:

If you paid full price for the original, you are paying for the privilege of being a beta tester for C4.

Being a beta tester implies that they are listening to your feedback and working on it.

not to mention in todays world no product is 100% baked on day 1.  That is the world with agile development and continuous release.  I think the biggest thing control4 got right with the neeo is proving that they can ship regularly and iterate rapidly. 

I don’t disagree in general with these points. But I think this is still being very charitable to C4. The Neeo was released with less functionality than an SR-260. A lot less. And it has some significant hardware flaws. It’d be one thing if it was priced accordingly. But it’s not. These are premium products. I think it’s reasonable to expect fully-baked. After all, that’s why people generally buy C4 as opposed to a consumer-grade system.

I think we are well aware of your opinion.

If you think it's not a good deal, don't buy it.  It was released with announced features, and has added many features since then, and continues to add new features.

I thought it was a great remote then, and I think it's an even better remote now.

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.