C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power HDMI over IP - techncial discussion

Nded

1-sat, 2-dvr, apple tv, vodu, vidio server, roku and i am sure im forgetting something. 7 tv's/displays and a denon and pioner. it is a real mess and i am not sure how to sort it out and make it all work together. I also have 3-300's and a 1000. I also want to add 3-ip cams.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All rack mount switches have their ports on the front, where most of your vertical and horizontal cable management is typically mounted. Take a look at pictures of a typical data centers, LAN closets and multimedia racks and you will understand JAP's logic. Their stuff was designed for implementation in those environments. I'm betting they make most of their money in those business lines and that's where their design priorities lie. Control4 installed in our houses will hopefully become mainstream enough to dictate product design, but I'm not sure we're there yet. I must say that it is a great product that I can't wait to get installed in my house :-)

For those of you planning on going to CES in Vegas next month, I will be hanging out in the C4 area. We will have the Rackmount Transmitter on display in the Blackwire Designs booth.

1-sat, 2-dvr, apple tv, vodu, vidio server, roku and i am sure im forgetting something. 7 tv's/displays and a denon and pioner. it is a real mess and i am not sure how to sort it out and make it all work together. I also have 3-300's and a 1000. I also want to add 3-ip cams.

Please pardon my ignorance, I don't have any idea what a 300 or a 1000 is.

For the Denon and Pioneer (I'm assuming you are talking about amplifier/receivers) you might want to look at using an HDMI Audio de-embedder (Atlona makes one).

For the IP Cams, I would guess they have some sort of PC interface, which you should be able to use to route the video to a DVI interface, which can easily be added to the HDMI over IP network.

I have a bud that offered me two tickets to CES but it is about a 6 hour drive and i was not sure that it was going to be worth the trip from LA. What do you think. Might I find a solution to my, well mess?

You may or may not find a solution, but you will have a ton of fun. CES is only about a 6 hour drive for me, and I plan on making the trip with a few friends that are in the H/A industry.

A good A/V could find the solution to your mess, you need a good matrix switch...seems pretty straight forward to me.

That is kind of what I have found in the research I have done but since I have not pulde the triggger yet I am still picking everyones brain and researching all my ooptions. For the money I dont want to make a mistake on this one. The problem I am finding is that a/v switches seam to start ay $9.99 to $9,999.00 and I dont know what to look for as there seam to be a million variations...........

That is kind of what I have found in the research I have done but since I have not pulde the triggger yet I am still picking everyones brain and researching all my ooptions. For the money I dont want to make a mistake on this one. The problem I am finding is that a/v switches seam to start ay $9.99 to $9,999.00 and I dont know what to look for as there seam to be a million variations...........

Can't go wrong with Zektor & Neopro for a traditional component + analog/coax audio distribution system. The big advantage for JAP is flexibility. Who will make you a 17x5 component matrix?

This site has posts that are great for research. There are plenty of posts on fixed matrix switches and the IP matrix switch from Just Add Power. But plan to spend several hours searching and reading all of them.

Even then you'll still be faced with the choice of what approach to take (traditional matrix eg 8x8, etc or IP). There are at least 3 good manufacturers of the traditional matrix if you go that way. You can save a few $ and have more flexibility with the IP approach, but right now fewer dealers understand it so it will probably be more of a learning curve. I think the trend is toward IP (e.g. cameras, Control4's architecture, iPhones. etc.) so that's my preference.

Thanks a lot guys for your input on this subject. I think the problem is the research part on my end. I have done very little and I should start by reading to posts. There is a bunch of terminology the I am unfamiliar with that I need to read up on. I am probably going to ten to lean towards the future of things but hopefully get something that noting more the firmware changes will be needed as the technology changes. My C4 system has turned into a huge and coplicate science project that I rethink every night in my dreams and then make 2 hours in changes every day. Because of the flexibility in the system that I desire in independence in every room I have 16 audio zones, so I have 16 rooms established but they include places like the back yard and the garage. I don't even want to say what I have spent. Honestly I dont see an end in site. I think it is a sickness. I haven't had this much fun scene I had an erector set as a kid. Video distribution is the last peice of the puzzle and I sure want to get it right. So I guess less system changes and more research time.

Nded, are there any plans on making the firmware field upgradeable? I assume that there will be improvements to the video codec in the future to improve on the picture quality and reduce ghosting. I am willing to live with the current picture quality limitations as long as there is the possibility to upgrade to the latest firmware easily. Is this now possible? Are their plans in the near future to make the units firmware easily upgradeable? Once this gets resolved I am sure many early adopters will be willing to add this system into their projects without fear of being left behind with future updates.

I've also been wondering about what happens when HDMI 1.4 comes out as the standard. Or the version after that. Will the Just Add Power units still work?

Isn't 1.4 backwards compatible with 1.3? LOL.

Just as 1.0 & 1.1 devices still work, they just dont have deep color, bitsream HD codecs, CEC control, and brain vaporization features.

I've also been wondering about what happens when HDMI 1.4 comes out as the standard. Or the version after that. Will the Just Add Power units still work?

Re: HDMI 1.4

I would encourage you to read the blog at http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/hdmi-1.4-and-through-the-ages

This is just one of many reviews of HDMI 1.4 that point out the diminishing value and desirability of the new features - none of which have been embraced by any hardware manufacturers. Just the cable companies are fighting over bragging rights to claim who is delivering the first HDMI 1.4 compatible cable.

Will somebody come out with a player that will only work with HDMI 1.4 capable displays? I don't see that happening anytime soon. We would expect those players to work with our HDMI over IP devices.

Will somebody come out with a display that will only work with HDMI 1.4 sources? I don't see that happening anytime soon. We would expect those screens to work fine with a signal distributed thorugh our HDMI over IP devices.

Let's look at some specific HDMI 1.4 features:

The Ethernet Channel - As pointed out in the article above, that is a nightmare waiting to happen, and the practical application of the Ethernet over HDMI in a whole home video distribution system ala C4 is confusing at best. Are any of your customers likely to throw away all their <1.4 screens and sources to realize this function? I really can't speak directly to this one until we see how, and if, it is ever implemented. I have to say "if" it is ever implemented, as we still have not seen any content providers develop Deep Color or xvYCC content which was announced with HDMI 1.3. My gut feeling tells me that we will continue to Internet applications developed for primily for players, not for screens. I would be shocked to see somebody develop a screen with an integrated internet application (i.e. the Vudu built into some LG screens) that is 100% dependent upon this feature. My gut feeling tells me those HDMI 1.4 screens will also have an RJ45 connection for internet applications.

Audio Return Channel - If anybody gets around to building a 1.4 Screen and a 1.4 Audio Receiver to support this function, then I would expect it to pass the 1.3 audio from external inputs (i.e. Blu-Ray's, Roku's, @TV's, and Just Add Power) from the screen back to the Audio Recievers. I also get the impression from a large number of pro A/V installers that they will want to continue to control the audio at the head end, and then distribute it through the whole home sound ssystem.

3D over HDMI - Until they come out with an agreed upon standard for 3D content, we have no way to predict if this will work. My gut feeling is that the 3D screen will be in one room with a dedicated 3D player, and not something that will be watched in 3D through the whole home.

4K Resolution - Just like Deep Color and xvYCC, we have no hardware and no content, however I would expect a 4K resolution monitor to work with the HDMI over IP devices distributing 1080p content. I furthmore would expecn a 4K player to support 1080p output. Ideally we could split the output at the source point if the customer has a 4K display in the main viewing room, and has standard HD screens in the rest of the home.

I know this isn't a firm answer with regards to supporting HDMI 1.4 content/devcies, but we are not dealing with a firm product plan from any of the manufacturers. Just some rather difficult to pin down standards that haven't picked up any traction to date. Perhaps we'll know more after CES next month.

Not to be a pester, but any update on firmware upgrade ability?

The answer remains the same. While it is technically possible for us to release a firmware upgrade that could be installed in the field, we don't anticipate doing this.

This has been my biggest gripe with the system. We all know that with a revolutionary product such as this it will go through many updates to tweek the picture quality, speed etc which most likely will require a firmware update in the future. I sure would hate to have to send back 40 of these units for a simple firmware update in order to keep up to date with the latest quality improvements. Adding programmable firmware would alleviate my fears of implementing such a system and I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

This has been my biggest gripe with the system. We all know that with a revolutionary product such as this it will go through many updates to tweek the picture quality, speed etc which most likely will require a firmware update in the future. I sure would hate to have to send back 40 of these units for a simple firmware update in order to keep up to date with the latest quality improvements. Adding programmable firmware would alleviate my fears of implementing such a system and I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

I'm with you. I make it a point that if possible, not to own anything that can't receive updates out in the field....I learned that lesson.

Not to be a pester' date=' but any update on firmware upgrade ability?[/quote']

The answer remains the same. While it is technically possible for us to release a firmware upgrade that could be installed in the field, we don't anticipate doing this.

I'll repeat myself - it is technically possible for us to release a firmware upgrade that could be installed in the field. You would not have to ship the devices back to Just Add Power to install such an upgrade. It's just not something we are emphasizing, as we don't anticipate this happening.

Not to be a pester' date=' but any update on firmware upgrade ability?[/quote']

I'll repeat myself - it is technically possible for us to release a firmware upgrade that could be installed in the field. You would not have to ship the devices back to Just Add Power to install such an upgrade. It's just not something we are emphasizing, as we don't anticipate this happening.

You don't anticipate having to update the firmware or you don't anticipate providing it to end users??

You may not anticipate it but you should plan for it

Archived