C4 Forums | Control4

How to troubleshoot a dead camera feed?

3 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Yes that is correct, just plugged the CAT5 straight into the switch and the other end straight into the camera and it powered up and worked without any issues

were there cameras installed with that same wire before you put the LR7022's?

Just now, pinkoos said:

Yes but they were analog and so got power over a regular power cable rather than over POE

This is what I thought.   Are you sure what was powering the analog camera is not powering your Lilin camera?  Because that is how its wired.   You likely have a 12v power source that has gone bad and that is what was powering the analog camera that was there previously.    Are your other 2 newer Lilin IP cameras replacing old analog cameras with the same old wiring config?

No, there's a separate unused power plug off the end of the cable (outside the house) that used to power the analog cams

The Lilin cams are all being powered over the POE switch via just the CAT5 - I just don't know why the 2 wires from the CAT5 were stripped out and put into that green plug

I've sent all this info and pics to my dealer and, as usual, have not heard back from them in a week or so

I don't know if the 3 other Lilin cams are wired the same way (ie, with the 2 wires stripped off) or if they're just straight CAT5 into the cam with nothing else

30 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

No, there's a separate unused power plug off the end of the cable (outside the house) that used to power the analog cams

The Lilin cams are all being powered over the POE switch via just the CAT5 - I just don't know why the 2 wires from the CAT5 were stripped out and put into that green plug

I've sent all this info and pics to my dealer and, as usual, have not heard back from them in a week or so

I don't know if the 3 other Lilin cams are wired the same way (ie, with the 2 wires stripped off) or if they're just straight CAT5 into the cam with nothing else

Why not re-terminate the Cable at the camera end and wire it properly with all 8 wires to match the switch end (make sure wire sequence is same on both ends)?   Then test with cable tester then plug in.     I had prior analog cameras in my home and then later went to IP.   I started to have problems and then realized that the installer of the original cabling installed several runs where he misjudged the distance and had spliced with exposed dolphin connectors the cat5 (yes was an idiot) and for those cameras I had to re-run a new cat6.   It was a little easier on the re-run as I could use the prior cable as a fish which reduced the amount of crawling in the attic by a lot.

ps, you may need to find a new dealer or give him a little more monetary attention :)

I think I would take a few minutes and check the outside plug again. From this photo it almost appears as if you have all 4 pairs installed.

I'd also check to see if you have 12v on the green plug.

If you have 4 pairs on the plug and the tester shows disconnected 3 and 4 then you can try putting a new plug on it. Or if you want to test further you can cut the plug off it and then test with the alligator clips 3 and 4 to the inside plug to see if the issue is the pug or the cable is damaged at some point in the run.

You can also maybe take a closer look to see if that pair for the power connector is really coming from the cat5 by unwrapping wherever they seem to be mating up together.

image.png.1e359ee196473d493dcf98a2a6bce481.png

I think the black and white on the green connector are a bit of a red herring at the moment. If the camera worked at one time, they have nothing to do with your problem, nobody snuck up to your camera and pulled a pair out and stuck it on that connector. 

Looks like you have Ethernet and power Siamese cable as other have pointed out. 

As Pounce pointed out it kind of looks like all your pairs are in the connector, although hard to say for sure from the picture. 

Your test is indicating possible issues on 3 of the conductors. That’s your issue. 

Need to inspect the connectors closely. If this is a direct cable to the rack, then inspect both ends, of it hits a patch panel or anything along the way, need to inspect connections there. 

Could also be a damaged cable somewhere along the way, behind the wall or in the attic. Contrary to popular belief, if a cable tests fine when it’s installed, doesn’t mean it can’t fail later if it’s poorly installed... catches on a nail, catching on a truss plate, pulled with too much force, installer nicking conductors when stripping insulation. Wire expands and contracts over time. 

Thanks for the additional replies (and that super close up!) - I should have some time this weekend to pull the camera down again and re-inspect those wires and maybe get a better picture

Once again, thanks for all of the input, it's been very helpful

On 7/3/2020 at 5:35 PM, ejn1 said:

Plug the switch side into your switch,  turn off wifi on a laptop and plug into laptop on camera side.   See if  you get internet....  

Finally getting around to troubleshooting this some more

A laptop plugged into the camera end of the CAT5 gets internet connection (initially it didn't, but after unplugging the ethernet and plugging it back in, the connection established)

Also, I'll have a pic of the CAT5 shortly, but it seems you guys were correct and I was incorrect - all 8 wires are in the CAT5...the two wires that are coming off the cable and plugging into the green port on the camera are NOT from the CAT5 - I think they are from the 'siamese' cable someone alluded to earlier

Not sure why my installers did this since my camera can run off the ethernet power on its own

24 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

A laptop plugged into the camera end of the CAT5 gets internet connection (initially it didn't, but after unplugging the ethernet and plugging it back in, the connection established)

Use the cable tester again. Double check it and you can flip which end is on the outside by the camera and inside at the switch. Just be sure the cable is not plugged into the switch.

25 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

.the two wires that are coming off the cable and plugging into the green port on the camera are NOT from the CAT5

Any idea at all where the other end of the DC cable is going? Are any of your other cameras set up that same way?

Okay, I'm thoroughly confused now with the additional troubleshooting I've done today. I'll try to summarize today's findings below and add a couple of pics. Also note that I still have not received a response from my dealer in over 2 weeks - I don't think they're doing tire rolls right now, so it's possible there's not much they can tell me anyway.

1. Like I mentioned, a laptop plugged into the camera end of the CAT5 in question outside was able to connect to the internet with a fast, stable connection

2. Camera plugged directly into the POE switch using the same port that is currently being used DOES NOT work

3. Camera plugged directly into any other open port on the POE switch DOES work (is getting power and a live camera feed in my C4 app)

4. Plugging the camera into the CAT5 in question back outside and then plugging the switch end of the CAT5 in question into any other open port DOES NOT work (ie, the camera doesn't get power or a live camera feed)

5. Using the tester again as suggested above, but just reversing which end went where yielded the following results:

Outside - the rectangular 'box' like tester scrolled through all 8 LEDs, but #8 was dim

Inside - the 'pen'-shaped tester lit up 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 with 8 again being dim. 3 and 4 didn't light up

10 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Okay, I'm thoroughly confused now with the additional troubleshooting I've done today. I'll try to summarize today's findings below and add a couple of pics. Also note that I still have not received a response from my dealer in over 2 weeks - I don't think they're doing tire rolls right now, so it's possible there's not much they can tell me anyway.

1. Like I mentioned, a laptop plugged into the camera end of the CAT5 in question outside was able to connect to the internet with a fast, stable connection

2. Camera plugged directly into the POE switch using the same port that is currently being used DOES NOT work

3. Camera plugged directly into any other open port on the POE switch DOES work (is getting power and a live camera feed in my C4 app)

4. Plugging the camera into the CAT5 in question back outside and then plugging the switch end of the CAT5 in question into any other open port DOES NOT work (ie, the camera doesn't get power or a live camera feed)

5. Using the tester again as suggested above, but just reversing which end went where yielded the following results:

Outside - the rectangular 'box' like tester scrolled through all 8 LEDs, but #8 was dim

Inside - the 'pen'-shaped tester lit up 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 with 8 again being dim. 3 and 4 didn't light up

THought you said in the last troubleshooting that when you brought the camera back to the switch it powered up via POE with a new cable?   I assume now you did not plug into its original port on the switch (your comment 2)?  But now it works on another Port via POE? 

So in summary:

A laptop is able to connect to the internet outside

The camera is able to power and connect inside using any port on the switch except for the one that is currently being used

Camera is able to get power and internet over the single CAT5 so I don't know why the green plug was even being used outside. Also, I don't know if the other cameras are wired this same way - I would have to take all those down to see

Tester showing #8 dim outside but all LEDs lit

Tester showing #8 dim inside AND LEDs 3 and 4 not lit

So, what I think is happening is that, outside, the CAT5 is able to provide internet but no power (either through the CAT5 or the green plug)

Inside, I'm not so sure - the port seems to be providing the laptop outside an internet connection. In fact, I went ahead and plugged the laptop directly into that port on the switch and is able to get internet without problem, so that port seems to be working (at least in terms of providing an internet connection)

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

THought you said in the last troubleshooting that when you brought the camera back to the switch it powered up via POE with a new cable?   I assume now you did not plug into its original port on the switch (your comment 2)?  But now it works on another Port via POE? 

Yes I was trying to do all this troubleshooting on my own, going back and forth so it's possible I got confused and mis-spoke originally

Please refer to my current summary I just posted

6 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Yes I was trying to do all this troubleshooting on my own, going back and forth so it's possible I got confused and mis-spoke originally

Please refer to my current summary I just posted

Could the port on the switch have been accidentally turned off for POE?   I see it one of three things:  1) The switch was never powering the camera via POE and was using the 12v leads and the power source has gone out and you are not sure which one it is ,  2) bad cable only on wires 5-8 which are used for POE), or 3) the POE port setting on switch is off

I guess that's definitely a possibility

But then why wouldn't the camera work outside when I move the cable in the switch to any available open port - when I do this with the camera inside plugged directly into the switch it works in all ports except for the port in question

1 minute ago, ejn1 said:

Ps,  If you know where the 12v power source is then you can turn that on,  plug the green end into the camera,  and it should work as the laptop worked for internet.

I don't know where that is - I'm assuming it's always on

1 minute ago, pinkoos said:

I guess that's definitely a possibility

But then why wouldn't the camera work outside when I move the cable in the switch to any available open port - when I do this with the camera inside plugged directly into the switch it works in all ports except for the port in question

because you are using a different cable when you came inside to test at the switch.    You need wires 1-4 for data in a plug,  and 5-8 for POE.

6 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

I don't know where that is - I'm assuming it's always on

it might have gone bad or turned off.... this was one of my original comments.  ithought you mentioned you knew where that was previously?

Port 15 is the port in question

To my untrained eye, it looks like POE is disabled on that port - if so, maybe scenarios 1 and 3 you posted above are both true?

I wonder why my dealer would have done this if this is, in fact, the case

POE.PNG

Just now, pinkoos said:

Port 15 is the port in question

To my untrained eye, it looks like POE is disabled on that port - if so, maybe scenarios 1 and 3 you posted above are both true?

I wonder why my dealer would have done this if this is, in fact, the case

POE.PNG

Im guess that camera must have been there first maybe and there was not a POE switch so it was powered via a 12v power supply in the house.   Turn the POE on for that port and connect the ethernet cable to the camera.   Do not plug in the green power cable into the back of the camera.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.