C4 Forums | Control4

How to troubleshoot a dead camera feed?

Okay making progress:

1. Enabled POE for port 15 and applied the settings

2. Plugged camera directly into port 15 and it works - power and internet

3. Took camera outside and plugged into the outside end of the CAT5 but did not plug in the green plug - no power

4. Then plugged green plug into the camera as well - still no power

5. Ran testers again and still showing 3 and 4 out on the rack end with 8 dim, and no LEDs out on the outside end but still with 8 dim

8 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I'd put new plugs on the cable.

I'd also try to find out where the other end of the power cable connects or doesn't connect ... mainly out of curiosity.

I doubt new plugs are the issue.  Find the power side of the cable, they are somewhere in the house.   The power supply could be a simple wall wart or it could look like a small alarm panel box with a power cable running into it.    I think you have 2 things going on.   For sure you have another power source as this camera was never powered by POE.   The cable running to the camera has some wires compromised.   So the installer used the 12v line of the siamese cable to avoid having to run another cable.   I found all kinds of crap ran by my installer when i started with analog cameras.   I have to re-run about half of them with new cat6 when i switched to IP cameras.   

Also, your other cameras on are which ports? 

1 minute ago, ejn1 said:

I doubt new plugs are the issue.

Yea, but the OP says this:

8 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Plugged camera directly into port 15 and it works - power and internet

and this:

9 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

5. Ran testers again and still showing 3 and 4 out on the rack end

7 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I doubt new plugs are the issue.  Find the power side of the cable, they are somewhere in the house.   The power supply could be a simple wall wart or it could look like a small alarm panel box with a power cable running into it.    I think you have 2 things going on.   For sure you have another power source as this camera was never powered by POE.   The cable running to the camera has some wires compromised.   So the installer used the 12v line of the siamese cable to avoid having to run another cable.   I found all kinds of crap ran by my installer when i started with analog cameras.   I have to re-run about half of them with new cat6 when i switched to IP cameras.   

Also, your other cameras on are which ports? 

Other cams are ports 9, 13 and 16

Just now, pinkoos said:

Okay, just did and, yes, the camera is not connecting now

What were you checking (just curious)

See if that cable was originally run with a siamese cable also and has an alternate power supply.   I bet the 3 cameras you have above on ports 9,13,16 were added after the camera that is currently not working?   And maybe they have be run with a cat 5/6 cable (not a siamese cable)?

Just now, Pounce said:

Yea, this is and the failed test is why I would just put new plugs on it.

Could be, i'm guessing this camera was never in POE configuration and was always 12v powered and that power supply has gone out.    And coincidentally the ethernet cable cant be run by the current POE switch so either plugs or broken wires somewhere.   Probably other cameras added after and run with cat5/6 and installed with a new POE switch.

7 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

See if that cable was originally run with a siamese cable also and has an alternate power supply.   I bet the 3 cameras you have above on ports 9,13,16 were added after the camera that is currently not working?   And maybe they have be run with a cat 5/6 cable (not a siamese cable)?

Okay, just to clarify:

1. 4 cameras were initially analog cams powered by a siamese cable and run off an Axis server (so CAT5 from siamese cables were unused)

2. October 2018 - had all 4 cams replaced with IP cams (the current Lilins) and were powered/connected by the same siamese cables, but this time the CAT5 within the siamese were used for both power and internet (or so I thought...I guess the cam in question was not)

3. NO new cables have been run since the original install in 2010...the cameras were simply replaced with IP cams

11 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I think they were all added last year when he switched from non ip cameras.

Where is this?

That's the same cable, just a little higher up from the ethernet termination and green plug - nothing was plugged into that female end

6 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

since he confirmed other cameras added later per my above guess, I think he has some 12v wall wart somewhere powering that camera that has gone out.

Yea, if that picture with the 12v connector is at the faulty camera location just a couple feet up from the plug end and the green power connector... that socket is not connected. No power.

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

That's the same cable, just a little higher up from the ethernet termination and green plug - nothing was plugged into that female end

Well, there you go. That would have been good to know earlier maybe.

Get yourself a cat5/cat6 crimper off amazon and some pass through type cat5 plugs. I assume its cat5. You should be able to terminate these yourself using google.

Not sure I understand - that female connector is not needed for the current setup - CAT5 seems to have been supplying internet and that green plug seems to have been supplying the power

That female connector was for the old analog cams, so it's not relevant to the current situation

4 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Not sure I understand - that female connector is not needed for the current setup - CAT5 seems to have been supplying internet and that green plug seems to have been supplying the power

That female connector was for the old analog cams, so it's not relevant to the current situation

Forget the green connector and the other dangly round thing. Those are both ends of the same wires.

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Forget the green connector and the other dangly round thing. Those are both ends of the same wires.

Right, I understand that - but I still don't understand what you were saying in your last post

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.