C4 Forums | Control4

How to troubleshoot a dead camera feed?

10 minutes ago, Pounce said:

You are all over the place with this topic. Just understand that the tester isn't lying to you and you have a problem. We assume you were using the tester correctly and following the directions. Things like plugging it in all the way etc. Speed testing means totally nothing and its a needless distraction from just simply correcting the issue.

If  you doubt your tests just use the tester again and follow the directions.

Yes, of course I understand there is an issue

I was simply reporting the results of the speed test in reference to the previous comment on the internet working on the laptop

• 8 months later...

Weirdest thing happened a few days ago - 

We were having internet connectivity issues so I reboot all networking hardware in the rack, something I've done multiples of multiples times over the past year or two

That reboot fixed our connectivity issues but it also brought this particular camera back to life

I was getting the camera feed again via Control4 as well as directly through the camera's IP address

But, my excitement was short-lived as by the morning time, that camera (or more likely the connection) had gone dead again

Anyway, I thought I'd resurrect this thread just like how my camera was resurrected (at least for a short time!)

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Had some guys out to move some drops around the house so got them to test the CAT5 that was going to the camera - turns out the end was shorted out

He trimmed a bit off the end of the CAT5 and then re-terminated it and it tested fine after that

Great glad you got it fixed.

So now that I know the ethernet line is working, I want to replace the camera (ants had gotten into it and basically ruined it)

If I buy a new POE camera and just plug it in, will it need additional programming in C4 to get it working with C4 (ie, visible on touchscreens, navigators, etc.)?

12 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

So now that I know the ethernet line is working, I want to replace the camera (ants had gotten into it and basically ruined it)

If I buy a new POE camera and just plug it in, will it need additional programming in C4 to get it working with C4 (ie, visible on touchscreens, navigators, etc.)?

if its the same (or very similar) make/model, you give it the same IP address, the same user namer/password, etc it would work.  Really depends on what drivers are being used to show the cameras in C4.  If anything, its a really quick thing to update.

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

if its the same (or very similar) make/model, you give it the same IP address, the same user namer/password, etc it would work.  Really depends on what drivers are being used to show the cameras in C4.  If anything, its a really quick thing to update.

The old camera was an old, obsolete Lilin - I just ordered an Amcrest, supposed to be delivered today

4 hours ago, pinkoos said:

From what I can tell, would probably need some new C4 driver to support the Amcrest, not sure it will work with the pre-existing driver that my dealer had installed for the Lilin

Depends what was used for lilin and what features you need for the amcrest cameras

9 hours ago, pinkoos said:

I plugged it in and checked the C4 app and it’s not showing up, but I don’t know if even some basic configuration is needed before it will show up

Was hoping it would just be plug and play but no such luck

I said you would need to at least have the same IP address (which you can set in the camera or in your router) and the same user name and password (you set that in the camera).  If those items are the same there is a CHANCE it will be plug in play.

depending on the camera driver, you can change the IP address and the user name/password of the camera in Composer Home Edition therefore you do not need to get your dealer involved

If you do not know how to check these items, get a dealer involved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.