C4 Forums | Control4

Variable Doorbell wave files based on time of year

mellie

Question

Hi All

I have created a scheduler for playing a certain wave file at different times of the year when the doorbell call button is pressed (Control4 Door Station).  Two questions:

1) In this program, a "normal" doorbell sound should only occur if all the other conditions aren't met.  When the doorbell is pressed, it does play the July 4 sound, but it ends with the normal doorbell...I just added the line for July 4 today, and before I did this, there was no normal doorbell sound after the seasonal sound. 

2) I would like to change the IF statement for July 4 sound to 6/30 to 7/6 regardless of year.  Perhaps this question is the reason for the problem in #1?

Thanks

melissa

image.png.efd486aa90b11989254763f1fd15f22f.png

12 answers to this question

could also do variables

set a true/false variable for each date range

on the schedule agent sent the variables to change as required

then for the doorbell
if variable Xmas is true > play Y wav file
If variable Halloween is true > play Z wave file

Thanks to all the replies.  I was interested in the variable option as I had never used this before, so I thought I'd try.  Sorry for the long response, I did this partly so I could come back and refer to it.... I just want to make sure I understand it correctly (newbie here):

1) In AGENTS>Announcements, I added sound files to be used:

image.thumb.png.c87affcb965d250cbfb4fe47a7f6451f.png

2) In AGENTS>Variables, I added a new variable called "Doorbell" and made it a number.

image.png.6593d2ab786daec656272dc907328721.png

****[And just assuming that C4 pings the system and automatically assigns the variable number based on the date.  I had to actually execute the current variable to get it into the system to start, but I assume that going forward, the variable will update accordingly??]****

3) In AGENTS>Scheduler, I created several schedules for times throughout the year, all starting on a certain day and either followed with a subsequent event or a non-event (no holiday).  There are no STOP dates, just a new event.

image.png.04e963d32902ac169e0f910440afbb9f.png

4) Then in PROGRAMMING>Scheduler, I programmed the Doorbell Variable to be assigned based on the newly created scheduled events above (different variable for each event except the No Holiday, which has the same number assigned to it):

image.png.774f94ff65dffbff6177c6ad63c14c1b.png

5) Finally, in PROGRAMMING>Door Station/Variables, I assigned the appropriate Doorbell wave file to be played based on the current variable in the system:

image.png.c37a7a30f22c8ff255d0a383cd57629f.png

Seems logical to me but just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

melissa

15 minutes ago, mellie said:

Thanks to all the replies.  I was interested in the variable option as I had never used this before, so I thought I'd try.  Sorry for the long response, I did this partly so I could come back and refer to it.... I just want to make sure I understand it correctly (newbie here):

1) In AGENTS>Announcements, I added sound files to be used:

image.thumb.png.c87affcb965d250cbfb4fe47a7f6451f.png

2) In AGENTS>Variables, I added a new variable called "Doorbell" and made it a number.

image.png.6593d2ab786daec656272dc907328721.png

****[And just assuming that C4 pings the system and automatically assigns the variable number based on the date.  I had to actually execute the current variable to get it into the system to start, but I assume that going forward, the variable will update accordingly??]****

3) In AGENTS>Scheduler, I created several schedules for times throughout the year, all starting on a certain day and either followed with a subsequent event or a non-event (no holiday).  There are no STOP dates, just a new event.

image.png.04e963d32902ac169e0f910440afbb9f.png

4) Then in PROGRAMMING>Scheduler, I programmed the Doorbell Variable to be assigned based on the newly created scheduled events above (different variable for each event except the No Holiday, which has the same number assigned to it):

image.png.774f94ff65dffbff6177c6ad63c14c1b.png

5) Finally, in PROGRAMMING>Door Station/Variables, I assigned the appropriate Doorbell wave file to be played based on the current variable in the system:

image.png.c37a7a30f22c8ff255d0a383cd57629f.png

Seems logical to me but just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

melissa

you can test it.  with variables I'd do true/false with a specific start date and end date.  But I tend to overcomplicate things whereas the other suggests to remove else or something may work and its easier to program.   But I also use variables in other areas - for instance if its Xmas not only do I have a holiday themed doorbell but my Xmas mode also impacts outdoor lighting, the lights on the indoor xmas tree, etc.  So I created a true/false variable that I trigger with a custom experience button.  If variable Xmas is True > doorbell = holiday doorbell, if Variable Xmas is False > doorbell = normal.  You could do just a bunch of true ones, if Xmas variable is true, play holiday doorbell, if Halloween variable is true play evil doorbell, etc.  dont need the false in your situation.  again I over complicate it but with variables you can do other stuff than just the doorbell

4 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

you can test it.  with variables I'd do true/false with a specific start date and end date.  But I tend to overcomplicate things whereas the other suggests to remove else or something may work and its easier to program.   But I also use variables in other areas - for instance if its Xmas not only do I have a holiday themed doorbell but my Xmas mode also impacts outdoor lighting, the lights on the indoor xmas tree, etc.  So I created a true/false variable that I trigger with a custom experience button.  If variable Xmas is True > doorbell = holiday doorbell, if Variable Xmas is False > doorbell = normal.  You could do just a bunch of true ones, if Xmas variable is true, play holiday doorbell, if Halloween variable is true play evil doorbell, etc.  dont need the false in your situation.  again I over complicate it but with variables you can do other stuff than just the doorbell

THanks for the feedback.  I was also planning on using this programming to do things with lights.  And since the variable is already set up, I will play around with it.  So I would use a Boolean type of variable vs. number.  Glad to know there are different ways to do this.

thanks!

azkid,

I just search eh web for free wav or mpg files.  But here are some I have found for various seasons.  I use WaveShop to edit file to short snippets.

Have fun!

yankeedoodle.mid Irish Washerwoman.mp3 Turkey Gobble-SoundBible.com-123256561.wav ice-cubes-2sec.wav Two Tone Doorbell-SoundBible.com-1238551671.wav Irish Washerwoman short.wav auld_lang_syne short.wav starsstripes short.wav ssbanner short.wav

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.