C4 Forums | Control4

Changing Receiver modes

msgreenf

Personally, I find the modes that I want per device beforehand.

Then program when selected, change the mode based on source.

I've never really had any customer complain, nor do the constantly change modes either.

You can also expose the AVR under Listen and be able to change modes there too.

One cool thing about the Neeo is if you leave the receiver available under the watch menu choosing watch -> receiver will give you the sound modes on the Neeo screen but leave the rest of the remote controlling the source you were on.  At least that's how it works with Anthem and Sony.  Sorry Mitch I know that probably doesn't help your motivation to make a driver 😜

Just now, mstafford388 said:

One cool thing about the Neeo is if you leave the receiver available under the watch menu choosing watch -> receiver will give you the sound modes on the Neeo screen but leave the rest of the remote controlling the source you were on.  At least that's how it works with Anthem and Sony.  Sorry Mitch I know that probably doesn't help your motivation to make a driver 😜

my driver won't cost $600 per room ;) 

7 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

It is strange that the Neeo works differently from everything else... maybe the T3 and the iOS app will catch up with the Neeo one day.

I have insisted that my dealer expose my AVR at both my houses but I don’t think I have ever used this except for the novelty of looking at what I can do...  The same can be said for my projectors.  

I can maybe see this for variable content from sources like Netflix and Amazon and when you have a more complex room configuration e.g. a lot of speakers.

Generally, I can predict mode from the source, but with Netflix I have on occasion changed the mode to improve sound when the audio isn't one of the better ones like Atmos. I have also changed the mode on some music sources to give the track a little more. I guess all the reason these things are possible with the AVR's these days.

If you have this idea then I would imagine you are seeing some demand or a need that I probably don't see for the average user.

Sorry but I don’t see the need to create or sell a driver for this. I’ve done it before with the “UI-Status Key” experience button, configured with the “radio button” function. You can list plenty of DSPs. Works great.

I’m actually going through this right now planning for our install.

The biggest needs I have are:

1. A way to enter night mode or turn off/on the subwoofer or select a dynamic volume compression. Not sure which is the best option yet, will have to see once we get everything set up but my AVR is in the rack and we watch in the family room. I want to be able to toggle something easily (preferred on the SR-260 with app/touchscreen available) to lower the loud noise volume when I’m watching at night so I can hear dialogue but not shake the house when louder sounds come on. A way to see the setting visually would help and then an easy way to return to a default setting whenever the room is turned off and then on the next day for example.

2. Another item I would find useful would be for times when we are watching the same source in two places - one with 2 channel audio and one with multi channel. On the rare times we do that, it would be nice not to have to spend a bunch of money on a down mixer (like the Atlona M2C). My understanding is that the audio will switch to the lowest common denominator and switch all audio to 2 channel. If that happens, I’d like to have a way to easily switch back the AVR to multi channel audio once the other 2 channel source is disconnected/turned off.

Not sure if that was what you were looking for but there you go.

14 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

Very interesting. I´ll give that a try with my test installation.

To come back to the original question "What modes do you normally change to/from?": i think that depends on the capabilities of the receiver/prepro.

We´re installing mainly Trinnov Altitudes, we´ve got also one in our showroom. 
You can define up to 30 presets with different speaker layouts, different DSP/filter settings, etc. Yes, you can assign these to different sources/inputs for autoselection in the Trinnov, but once in a while, you want to be able to select them manually. For instance we often use different presets with different speaker counts so the customer can hear the difference and chose the setup with the best into his taste and budget.

Then customers would like to select upmixer modes manually. Then the Trinnov has different remapping modes for distributing the sound among the speaker layout.

Then our customers are interested in feedback from the device. Which remapper mode is set, which upmixer, which preset is selected (Text String), audio information (sample rate, etc.).

I think a lot of this is very specific to the type/model, so i´m wondering how you would write a generic "receiver driver".

Very interesting. I´ll give that a try with my test installation.
To come back to the original question "What modes do you normally change to/from?": i think that depends on the capabilities of the receiver/prepro.
We´re installing mainly Trinnov Altitudes, we´ve got also one in our showroom. 
You can define up to 30 presets with different speaker layouts, different DSP/filter settings, etc. Yes, you can assign these to different sources/inputs for autoselection in the Trinnov, but once in a while, you want to be able to select them manually. For instance we often use different presets with different speaker counts so the customer can hear the difference and chose the setup with the best into his taste and budget.
Then customers would like to select upmixer modes manually. Then the Trinnov has different remapping modes for distributing the sound among the speaker layout.
Then our customers are interested in feedback from the device. Which remapper mode is set, which upmixer, which preset is selected (Text String), audio information (sample rate, etc.).
I think a lot of this is very specific to the type/model, so i´m wondering how you would write a generic "receiver driver".
I have an idea for a generic driver that would work here. Hope to have something soon

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 9:29 PM, mstafford388 said:

Mmh, seems to be driver specific.

Works with a Marantz AV8802 (just for testing), but not with a Trinnov Prepro...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.