C4 Forums | Control4

Best way to get PC Audio into C4 system?

HomeAutomationNerd

I've got a C4 audio zone in my office, and I would like to have my PC output come over that audio zone. What's the best way to get audio (preferably digital) into the C4 system so I can route it to my audio zone(s) as needed? 

My options seems to be:

1. The EA3 and EA5 have Digital Coax in, which seems like it would work with an SPIDF to Coax converter, but seems like overkill.
  2. The older HC800s have Analog inputs, which may work, but also seems like overkill.
  3. Is there a Windows Sound driver I can add that would route into my C4 system over ethernet? 

//Chris

I use digital coax from my computer to my matrix amp.  I think my PC has the coax out so I don't need a spdif to coax converter for my C4-8AMP1-B amp.  I don't think there is any driver of the sort that you are suggesting although it doesn't seem much different than Spotify Connect or AirPlay.

You might be able to do this with AirPlay - check out this article: https://drfone.wondershare.com/mirror-emulator/airplay-for-windowns.html.

Then you would just need ShairPlay on your C4 system.

Using the input for the controller may cause a bit of a delay which might be an issue depending on what you are doing.  

ShairBridge isn't necessarily Wifi - it is over your LAN.  My PC doesn't have wifi but wired ethernet.  Same with my C4 controllers.  So when I use ShairBridge from my PC to C4 it is using wired ethernet.  

Obvi, that is not the case when using my phone as the audio source rather than the PC.

FYI connecting audio to the controller causes it to be digitised and sent throughout the network.  Even if it comes out of the same controller.

What this means is that you will experience lip sync issues if you plan on syncing video and audio up.

To get around this please connect it directly to the amplifier instead.

@alanchow My Amps are in closets all far away (aka: Not in my office). My Controllers are also far away in media cabinets in other rooms. If I could just plug it into one of the Matrixs, that would be way easier. :)

The Sharebridge approach will at least let me drive music / basic audio into my office, and throughout the house. That might be good enough... 

3 hours ago, alanchow said:

FYI connecting audio to the controller causes it to be digitised and sent throughout the network.  Even if it comes out of the same controller.

What this means is that you will experience lip sync issues if you plan on syncing video and audio up.

To get around this please connect it directly to the amplifier instead.

I assume the upside to this is that the audio stream should be available to any audio endpoint on your C4 system, even ones in distant parts of your house with no connection to the PC, other than via ethernet or wifi via your LAN.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.