C4 Forums | Control4

Honeywell 4232CBM Vista alarm questions

azkid

Question

Thinking about integrating my Honeywell vista 20 into c4.  I understand I need a  4232cbm module.  My c4 main controller is a ea3 with no serial port.  Can someone tell me what kind of adapter I will need?  Besides the module and some serial adapter is there anything else I need?  The alarm is not monitored.  

2nd question, the alarm runs a tuxedo touch keypad which has z wave.  My z wave devices are all hooked up to a samsung SmartThings but the tuxedos (2) are set up as secondary controllers and all my devices (lights, shades, locks) work great on the tuxedo.  Just want to confirm by integrating my alarm into c4 I will be able to control these z wave devices in c4? I tried a Vera to do this and while the somfy shades work the kiwkset locks cannot be identified on the Vera and thus don’t work with Control4.  I think this Vera issue is b/c it’s running as a secondary but point is hoping by integrating the alarm I can get past this.  Thanks in advance! 

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, azkid said:

Thinking about integrating my Honeywell vista 20 into c4.  I understand I need a  4232cbm module.  My c4 main controller is a ea3 with no serial port.  Can someone tell me what kind of adapter I will need?  Besides the module and some serial adapter is there anything else I need?  The alarm is not monitored.  

2nd question, the alarm runs a tuxedo touch keypad which has z wave.  My z wave devices are all hooked up to a samsung SmartThings but the tuxedos (2) are set up as secondary controllers and all my devices (lights, shades, locks) work great on the tuxedo.  Just want to confirm by integrating my alarm into c4 I will be able to control these z wave devices in c4? I tried a Vera to do this and while the somfy shades work the kiwkset locks cannot be identified on the Vera and thus don’t work with Control4.  I think this Vera issue is b/c it’s running as a secondary but point is hoping by integrating the alarm I can get past this.  Thanks in advance! 

The EA3 has shared IR/serial ports so you'll just need a 3.5mm to serial cable to control the CBM.  As other have said you will not get control of the Z-wave devices. 

8 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

The EA3 has shared IR/serial ports so you'll just need a 3.5mm to serial cable to control the CBM.  As other have said you will not get control of the Z-wave devices. 

thanks so something like this Female to DC3.5mm Serial Cable?  Assuming I get that, how do I wire it to the module?  I'm thinking i would just take a serial cable with two male outputs like this one?  Then i just cut off one end and wire it to the module?  Is that right or do they sell a serial cable with just bare wires on one end? Normally I'd have my dealer do the setup but due to COVID going to see if i can get everything plugged in myself and then just have my dealer to the programming remotely.

4 hours ago, azkid said:

thanks so something like this Female to DC3.5mm Serial Cable?  Assuming I get that, how do I wire it to the module?  I'm thinking i would just take a serial cable with two male outputs like this one?  Then i just cut off one end and wire it to the module?  Is that right or do they sell a serial cable with just bare wires on one end? Normally I'd have my dealer do the setup but due to COVID going to see if i can get everything plugged in myself and then just have my dealer to the programming remotely.

Yeah that cable would work, and you can actually just chop that one and wire it directly into the 4232.  It'll be 3 wires.  I think I've posted a document here with the wiring see if you can find it with a quick 4232cbm search, if not shoot me a DM I'll can shoot it to you when I get to the office tomorrow. Don't spend too much time looking for it I know I have it. 

Just a note, depending on your Vista panel you may lose your Total Connect after installing the module, if you are using that functionality. Most Vista 20’s only allow one  remote interface so you have to chose between C4 and Honeywell Total Connect. 

C4 will do the job but you’ll lose certain things like ability to setup panel users - like if you fire the dog walker and want to change their code. You’ll have to have your alarm company make that change once you lose TC. 

I’ve not had success programming Certain push notifications for specific users - such as if user 1 disarms vs if user 2 disarms. I can only get a generic “disarmed” notification. So if you have multiple users like a nanny, dog walker, kids, etc, it may be tricky for you to program user-specific events and notifications. YMMV.

Overall the experience was worth it for me, just wanted to share personal experience. 

thanks for all the responses, unfortunately I've been unable to get the cbm module hooked up correctly.  I've posted a second thread trying to get specific help with that here: 

if any one has any ideas I'd love to hear them.  

Oh man, I remember this being a real bitch when we did it, coincidentally two years ago almost to the day.  Was working with a remote dealer as well so lots of back and forth.  Ultimately had to tweak one of the settings noted in the CBM instruction sheet but I didn't write down exactly what it was, sorry.  I remember both my dealer and my alarm company being stumped.  Ultimately I came up with the winning settings combination and I got there by reading through the installation manual for my panel and catching something....damn I wish i could remember.  I'm attaching the manual here, give it a read.  Hopefully it will inspire you to find it.

Once you have it setup right, it will work pretty flawlessly, aside from what I mentioned above. 

Vista-20P-Programming-Guide[8873].pdf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.